ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Rear arche removal

my mk1 valver will need its rear arch removed soon due to rust , ive found a site that sell the part at £20
2166L.jpg

but what i need to know is what is the process for taking the old arch of ,

do they cut it out then place this new arche in it s place :S

cheers
scott

'92 172, Lotus Elise
i'd be interested to know how too.

I also have a patch of rust on the drivers side rear arch

what site, btw?

Punto/Clio GTT
ok you gonna need all of that arch or isit just bubbles on the edge of your quarter?

- get angle grinder/airsaw and cut out the section that needs replacing. cut downwards starting from the middle of the panel towards the wheel arch as im sure they are double skinned there, make sure you dont cut through the second skin, just the first then use a hammer and boulster chissel to hammer it away from the second skin, if theres any spot welds there, drill them out and carry on until the sections out

- get your new panel and put it against the car, marking how much of it your gonna actually need, ide leave it a cm or so too big to start with then you can grind it down later.

- grind all around the outside of your new panel and your quarter, along the edge, to bare metal so it can be welded, put some sikaflex or any decent bonding adhesive along the inner arch

option 1 - now, if your a good welder, cut your new panel to the shape of how youve cut the quarter, so it meets it nicely and its flush, hold it in place with your mole grips or clamps.

option 2 - if you aint a good welder, leave the new panel about 2 mil too big and took it underneath your quarter, so it slots inside, then weld it, doin it this way will make sure you dont blow through with the welder.

- once its welded up, grind down your welds so theyre flush with the panel and prep a few inches either side of the weld with P40 or P80 grit on a sander or by hand, whichever your usin. put some easy sand filler on, rub down, re-add filler til your happy.

- before primering, make sure youve finished with nothing lower than P320 unless your using 2k primer (hardener usually 4:1 or 5:1 ratio 10% thinner) when P180 is fine.

its then ready to go to a bodyshop to be wet flatted n painted, nothings gonna go rusty.

This is how i do it, other people do it different ways, its just how theyre used to, there aint really any wrong way aslong as you get the corrosion protected, nicely finished end result.

Punto/Clio GTT
depends where you go really, you take it to a big place they probably wont want to do it, too much fuckin about, ide recommend taking it to a small bodyshop, pop down first ask to see some cars that have just been painted to see for yourself the quality of work.

i reckon your lookin at 200-250 for 1 side, probably get both sides done for 400. bodyshops vary so much though so shop around first, playing them against each other, go get a quote then go somewhere else and ask if they can beat it, 9/10 times if theyre hard up on work they will.