ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Really strange immobiliser problem

danward

ClioSport Club Member
  M135i
I've had a search on here before in relation to my problem but never found a thread that suggests that anyone else has experienced it.

Yesterday lunch time I went to get petrol. I got out the car, didn't lock it, used my key to open the petrol cap, put my card in the machine and filled up with £15 worth of petrol (so this didn't take long), put the petrol cap back on, and got back in the car ready to drive off.

When I turned the key to start the engine, all of the electrics come on as usual BUT my engine won't start. The starter motor doesn't even kick in, it's almost as if the immobiliser has kicked in. I was out of the car for 5 minutes tops and when I tried to start it, nothing!

Having experienced this twice before, I just left the car at the pump and wandered over to the shopping centre over the road. When I returned to the car 20-30 mins later it started straight up as usual and hasn't missed a beat since.

As said, this has happened two times before yesterday, both times (and this) were after very short drives of no more than a couple of miles, and both other times I had to leave it for a while before I could try it again and it would start up faultlessly. So thats three times in about 6 months. Apart from this little issue, the car is (in my opinion) faultless, I never worry about any other issues.

So has this happened to anyone else? Is there an explanation? How can I disable the immobiliser to start the car, rather then leaving it for half an hour? Any help is appreciated.

Did the immobiliser light disarm? If it flashes quickly - it can't recognise the key's code and won't start the car. You can see this by the immob light flashing quickly with the key in.
Though that said - any time this happens to me, the car will still turn over and start - it just won't stay started.

danward

ClioSport Club Member
  M135i
Did the immobiliser light disarm? If it flashes quickly - it can't recognise the key's code and won't start the car. You can see this by the immob light flashing quickly with the key in.
Though that said - any time this happens to me, the car will still turn over and start - it just won't stay started.

I don't notice any different with the immobilser light but then I've never properly taken notice of it.

I think I may be having similar problems, i put a video up, is this what you've experiencing? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5kdmng5XpH4&feature=youtu.be

I also started a thread a couple days back on it but still haven't got to the bottom http://www.cliosport.net/forum/show...g-with-my-clio-!-Won-t-start-up!-(WITH-VIDEO)

I've just been having to jump start it when deicides not to work :(

That first vid seems similar to what happens with mine but I'm not 100% sure.

No one have any ideas?

danward

ClioSport Club Member
  M135i
I think I've cracked this problem to a certain degree, for anyone that is interested.

I still don't know whats causing the problem, but when it happens I can usual get it started again by turning the key two clicks so the immobiliser lights comes on, wait for that and the SERV light to go off - repeat this step a few times then after the SERV light has gone off on say the fifth time - turn the key all the way and it starts.

I've tried resetting or 're-syncing' the key by holding the central locking button down on the dash while the key is in the ignition but this doesn't seem to help (or I may be doing it wrong).

I'd still love to know why this occasionally happens though, to stop it once and for all!

BPY

16v 1.2
Strangely my problem just went away, I have been told in the meantime that the alternator connection can be a common fault as it becomes loose. This picture I found should give an idea http://www.askthemechanic.co.uk/images/Renault%20starter%20motor.jpg

danward

ClioSport Club Member
  M135i
I've just had alternator replaced by 519 so I don't think it would be that problem for myself. I hope mine just cures itself!

Clio Expression 5dr
I had this problem last year, progressively got worse until I couldn't start the car. AA ended up coming out and diagnosed it straight away saying its a poor connection to the starter motor. Cleaned the connection with abit of wire wool and has been great ever since. He said he's seen it before on other clios.

Hop that helps

danward

ClioSport Club Member
  M135i
I will look into that thanks Liam, where is the start motor located exactly? Any photos about?

danward

ClioSport Club Member
  M135i
I see! So where bouts is that located then? The photo is helpful BPY thanks.

Renault%20starter%20motor.jpg

MicKPM

ClioSport Trader
  Clio16v/Zoe Z.E.50
In a horrible, horrible place on the 172/182. Right at the back of the engine under the exhaust manifold... enjoy!

Moogun B95
If the Red Immobiliser (circle) in the dash is on Solid after ignition on, this could be a UCH Lockout. Usually leaving the ignition switched on for a minute or 2 will allow it to reset. This would stop the starter motor cranking the engine, just the same as a rapid flashing light would.

danward

ClioSport Club Member
  M135i
If the Red Immobiliser (circle) in the dash is on Solid after ignition on, this could be a UCH Lockout. Usually leaving the ignition switched on for a minute or 2 will allow it to reset. This would stop the starter motor cranking the engine, just the same as a rapid flashing light would.

It comes on solid for about 10-20 seconds then turns off along with the SERV light. The immobiliser doesn't seem to be the issue based on other comments. I'm thinking the start motor connection may be at fault - but not sure if I'll be able to sort it myself based on Mick's comment.