ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Really dont know what to do! My 172 vs. House!

Tangoed Works
Im 23 and am about to buy my first property. Going to be buying to let. Ive worked as a professional letting agent in London now for the last 3 years so have identified numerous trends. Those who say there is going to be a house price crash need to look at the reality and not be led into the governments scare mongering tactics(this is exactly what they want you to believe, as the more people that do, will have the knock on effect of cooling the housing market down).

The reason why property is such a sound investment is because over the medium to long term, property has always risen. Even if there is a house price crash, your still going to be living in the property. The only way this will effect you is if you are buying and selling at the time. The UK is a small island and the amount of new labour coming to work over here is immense. Everyone needs somewhere to live!

The shift is clear, since the redevelopment of the Docklands (10 years ago pretty much a dump), prices have risen so much that lots of people cant afford to rent or buy there. This in turn increasing surrounding property area prices as demand increases.

It has been shown over and over that in times of high interest rates people tend to rent more, and when interest rates are lower the demand shifts to buying. You simply cannot lose anything from buying a property. Just make sure you dont overstretch your self with mortage payments and remember that even the smallest interest rate rise can effect you payment significantly.

Long and short! Get rid of the CUP for a decent price (you can always buy another).

I was in the same kinda position last year mate. my mum and dad sold up and moved 50 miles away so was kinda the perfect chance for me to get on the ladder.. i was all ready to buy a 172, but had to delay it to put money into buying a house..

in a prefect world, i wouldnt have, i was only 18, (19 now) but it really is great being totally independant, and now i have managed to get a 182! Fair enough house prices are probably higher where you are, but if you can, i would get the house..

PM me if u like! :)

Lux'd Glacier White R26
I'm 21 and have my own place too. Best advise i can give you is to get on the property ladder asap! Just plan for mortgage and bill payments.

I was lucky. I bought my house for £165k, and my Dad but £35k deposit down, leaving me with a £130k mortgage, but its already worth £200k..so i'm laughing. I have a FF 182 too ;)

Tyson.

Daniel

ClioSport Moderator
  Whichever has fuel
buy a house. end of.

I was lucky enough that i didn't need to go through 'shall i sell the-car shant i' routine, but if you buy a house now, you can buy a 182 this time next year for the same money as you sell your 172!!

Well looks like a very lucky renault dealer will be having the steal of the century :D MONDAY!

well I can easily afford to keep car, but the extra 5k on my deposit is very very tempting, not quite but almost like getting the house with a garage...or just 'allocated parking' if you know what i mean.

I'll eventually be back on the car scene but for now, my van (nearly new) is fine for use.

Plus kiss goodbye to £145/month insurance pains :D

Ed_182 said:
a house will always be a more sound investment then a car.

erm, no cars an investment.. its a method of travelling round and having fun.

its all well and good everyone saying '' my house is worth twice as much as what i paid for it''

but everyone elses has too?
so if you want to move to a better house, you still have to fork out twice the price for it??

im almost 21 and was toying with the idea of moving out, but when ive been living on my own when parents have been away ive found it depressingly boring!!
spoke to a lad at work and he said he wishes he never moved out as early as he did as he said he was always skint while all his mates where out enjoying themselves.
you cant relive your youth in years to come..

think i'll move out when im about 24/5.

Jackson172 said:
Well looks like a very lucky renault dealer will be having the steal of the century :D MONDAY!

well I can easily afford to keep car, but the extra 5k on my deposit is very very tempting, not quite but almost like getting the house with a garage...or just 'allocated parking' if you know what i mean.

I'll eventually be back on the car scene but for now, my van (nearly new) is fine for use.

Plus kiss goodbye to £145/month insurance pains :D

is that 5k all yours then or is some of it owed to the bank/finance?

Dunno what your asking guy? its £5500 to go in my bank...so i can use as deposit.

Things are never depressingly boring, all these people who have posted who bought at 20,21,22 all have serious girlfriends no doubt :D

Elise/VX220/R26
agree with the comments about house price rises, they dont in reality do anyone any favours, with my two houses (first place and this one we moved into) I could go around saying I've made 100k which is the total value gained on both properties but, erm where is it??? its all on paper doing nobody any good!

182 has now gone!
Go for the house.. I moved out with my boyfriend a year ago when I was 24.. I thought I was young, but I have no regrets at all, I love coming home to my own home.. It is a struggle having a mortgage and running a car, but if the worse came to the worse then I would get rid of my car.. even though it would break my heart!!! :eek:

Buy the house.

I bought my first house when I was 24 I am now 29 and the house is worth 80k more then it was then. I have a few mates that are nearly 30 and still live with there mum and dad. They have plenty of disposable cash but whos to say they wont still be living with them at 40:dapprove:

IMO dont wait for a price crash. Whilst you wait they just keep going up and up.

Gus

ClioSport Moderator
  182Turbo,DCi90
You can sleep in the car but you cant drive a house !

But seriously, Youd save loads in insurance and maintenance on the car if you sold up and got a banger to runa around in for the year or two.