ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

'real world' benefits of matched inlets in isolation...

AB 182-GTI-6-205 GTI
Hi all,

Ive had to remove the plenum to do a few jobs so wondered if it was worth matching the ports while its apart? Am i going to see any real benefit without any other major mods?

Its already got a de-cat (again, how useful this is is questionable!) so would a matched inlet, decent panel filter and the decat give me any real increase in either power or driveability?

TheEvilGiraffe

South East - Essex
ClioSport Area Rep
Yes.

Get some new gaskets and port them out to the size of the gasket !

I had JAM-Sport do mine in northant's.. got 2-3mpg better out the box, and pulled hard from 1500rpm to the top, where as before it was sluggish from 1-3, 3-5 was ok and 5+ was hard.

TheEvilGiraffe

South East - Essex
ClioSport Area Rep
Only gaskets I got (PTFE set from someone on here) were essentially washers for for the top and the big 4-hole one that goes between the lower and upper inlets, both of which I assume you want matching..?!

No point doing anything between the lower and the head as the ports will be the restrictor from there on..

'02 172
Yes.

Get some new gaskets and port them out to the size of the gasket !

I had JAM-Sport do mine in northant's.. got 2-3mpg better out the box, and pulled hard from 1500rpm to the top, where as before it was sluggish from 1-3, 3-5 was ok and 5+ was hard.

are you just talking about matching the join between upper and lower parts?

DON'T SEND ME PM'S!!
Only gaskets I got (PTFE set from someone on here) were essentially washers for for the top and the big 4-hole one that goes between the lower and upper inlets, both of which I assume you want matching..?!

No point doing anything between the lower and the head as the ports will be the restrictor from there on..

you're incorrect. The lower to head being right is a big part of it. The whole things has to be right to see improvements

172 Ph1/Scooby MY00
It depends what you mean by, benefit. There is little to gain from this engine unless as you probably know you pay £££s (for cams or throttle bodies) and for that you can buy a faster car in standard form.

RS250 Cup
It depends what you mean by, benefit. There is little to gain from this engine unless as you probably know you pay £££s (for cams or throttle bodies) and for that you can buy a faster car in standard form.

Assume he means more torque through the rev range. We can all buy a faster car for the money but we buy clio's because of various qualities other than speed and if getting a little more out of the engine enables us to enjoy it even more then that's all good!

Golf 7.5R & Clio 200
Heck of a bump, but saves a new thread.

I'm looking to start playing with my 200 a bit more, and drawing up a short list of things I would like to do eventually. I've never really owned a car worth playing with performance wise, so this will be a it trial and error.

I don't plan on spending thousands and making a silly car, will start slow and work my way up.

Cars completely standard at this time, just wondering if I got matched inlets as the first modification, would that achieve anything noticeable? Or is it only if pairs with other modifications you feel anything?

As said, never driven a car with them, or seen on either, so just after a bit of advice from someone with experience to see if this should be a first step, or not bother at this moment in time.

Ry