ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Real reason for the 182

E36 323i coupe

Actually in my opinion there were two reasons for Renault to bring out the 182...

1. (the most important) to pip Peugeots 206 GTi over the line with a number!

and

2. to have a slight redesign to attract more buyers to the market.

What do other people think???

I would have to agree with that ;) But still the 182 does seem to be a great car even though i havent driven it yet ;) the reviews are great though maybe a little overhyped.

Still dont think id buy another Renault though unless there build quality is improved.

Your not a jelouse cup owner are you Jon????

Not sure I totally agree.

If the 206 had had rave reviews, then Renault might of felt the need. Saying that the 182 must have been in design before the new 206GTI was released. If they were really bothered about numbers, then 200 bhp would of been a goal (2.0 litres ?)

On your second point, your right. As with 99% of other car manufacturers/most things in life, everything needs to be developed. All cars run a lifecycle. Growth, Maturity and Decline. IMHO Renault introduced the 182 at the right time. Id of done the same in their shoes.

Jonathan

172, Tiguan

the clio is overdue on its cycle - the 2004 revamp prelongs the car for another year - untill the next model appears

Rich-D

ClioSport Club Member
  E90 LCI 330d

Yeah, the main reason is to do one up on their arch rivals Peugeot in the game of numbers...

Tom

ClioSport Club Member
  EV (s)

Ok i could be a tw*t and post about how much better the 182 is than the cup but why would i want to annoy people?

;)

Rich-D

ClioSport Club Member
  E90 LCI 330d

Quote: Originally posted by Tomclio182 on 19 March 2004

Ok i could be a tw*t and post about how much better the 182 is than the cup but why would i want to annoy people?
Define "better" though... ;)

Funny how 182 owners b**ch about the cup all the time. I guess there just pissed off they didnt manage to pick one up in the first place.

182 Better, with those wheels, do me a favour !!!

Cup is still 3 BHP up on power to weight ratio

Tom

ClioSport Club Member
  EV (s)

Quote: Originally posted by lastmanjackson on 19 March 2004

Funny how 182 owners b**ch about the cup all the time. I guess there just pissed off they didnt manage to pick one up in the first place.

:confused: Nowt wrong with the cup its a great car IMHO. some of the owners are t**sers tho.

Rich-D

ClioSport Club Member
  E90 LCI 330d

Err... its more like 1 bhp/tonne less than a Cup, wont be noticable!

Performance figures show the Cup & 182 to be practically identical and on the road there will be no difference!

Rich-D

ClioSport Club Member
  E90 LCI 330d

Quote: Originally posted by Tomclio182 on 19 March 2004

(fancy a "comparison" test? would be a laugh!)
Are you coming to Pod on 4th April Tom???

Get that 182 up the strip and see what times it can actually run in real life, then we will know how they compare to the Cup for sure...

That goes out to any/all 182 owners!

Rich-D

ClioSport Club Member
  E90 LCI 330d

Quote: Originally posted by Mitsi on 19 March 2004

get over urself lads, its like being at school!
Sadly its like this a lot on here lately... :sick:

Rich-D

ClioSport Club Member
  E90 LCI 330d

Dont forget to take your handbag out of the car before you make the run.

It will save some weight
LOL

dk

911 GTS Cab

182 Better, with those wheels, do me a favour !!!

simply not true, they are still available as my local dealer has one up for sale not registered with delivery miles for £10500. I just wanted the luxuries, both are fantastic cars.

dk

911 GTS Cab

Nearly got hit by a flying pig then.
well feckin drive to Mill Lane Renault in Kidderminster and look. its on their forecourt and has been for a few weeks!!!!!

And who cares if the power to weight ratio is higher on the cup, the 182 still got a better time 0-60 of 6.3 secs, suppose you are going to argue that are you! They are an even match now.

And while im at it, I absolutely love the Anthracite wheels on the 182 and so far everyone who has seen them in the flesh has also said they are nice, even cup owners! Its all a matter of opinion so why should yours be the only opinion!

I like both the cup and the 182, I just chose the 182 as it met my needs better!

well folks i own a cup but as its so basic, i have decided to go for a 182 now for the luxuries, renault are paying me what i got the car for on newcardiscount and i knew the cup was basic art first but when i saw the 182 in the flesh, it looks much better with the anarchite wheels, and exhausts and build quality on the one i drove actually seems better.

just my opinion though

Rich-D

ClioSport Club Member
  E90 LCI 330d

Quote: Originally posted by pennga on 19 March 2004

and build quality on the one i drove actually seems better.
Really?!

Most of it is the same car and built in the same factory, so I doubt the 182s will be built any better... :confused:

Am considering swapping my Cup in for a 182 as well, but the Cup is far from basic IMO, if you want that try a Rallye! ;)

Quote: Originally posted by Rich-D on 19 March 2004

Am considering swapping my Cup in for a 182 as well, but the Cup is far from basic IMO, if you want that try a Rallye!

I can vouch for that :(, hence 182 on order.

Crap emoticons on this site BTW!!!!

Huw

E36 323i coupe

Fecking hell... wish I hadnt started this now!

No I am not a jealous Cup owner. I love my Cup and wouldnt swap it for anything right now.

In a way, I would quite like leather and alcantara seats, air con, and cruise... but I dont need any of them and saved a couple of grand in not having them.

I love the colour of the Cup. I love the wheels. I love the drive. I love everything about it. It is FAR FAR FAR from basic. I used to own an MG Turbo Metro... that was basic!

I hope everyone who owns a 182 enjoys it as much as I have enjoyed my Cup up till now!

Also it would be good to have a 182 on the France trip. We have just about every other type of Clio!

As for the 0-60mph time... how many professional drivers have we on here? 1 or 2 maybe? Very few people will ever achieve that time on the road! Lets face it - they are both quick and very nice cars.

C

Cupster

If I had the money to buy a 182 I would have! Personal opinion: Oh f**k it cant be a***d, the argument will still rage anyway! Im going to get bankered down the pub! Happy rucking!!!!

Quote: Originally posted by dave182 on 19 March 2004

And who cares if the power to weight ratio is higher on the cup, the 182 still got a better time 0-60 of 6.3 secs, suppose you are going to argue that are you! They are an even match now.

Dave that wasnt your car or you driving, I would bet 100£ that out of 10 1/4 mile runs I could beat you 9 out of 10 runs in my standard Cup.:D

********being sensible now*****

Why is there so much in fighting with Clio sport owners? I think it started when the Cup came along and all the jealous 172 owners, just a thought. Did this happen when the mrk 2 172 replaced the mrk 1 172?