ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Re-spraying 172 rear bumper

crashed clio
i have just bought a 172 bumper, but its in blue, not black. im just looking for any info on how to go about sanding, primering, and painting it...or if i should just leave it for a garage to do (if so what the right amount to pay).

also, there are some dents and scrapes that need filling, but that is the easy bit.

cheers
:)

Mk5 golf gti
i am doing the same as its only cheap for the parts etc

if i f**k it up then i havent lost out much

im doing the front bumper though

at a guess this is the steps ill take

1.sand it all off with 400 grit

2.smooth it off with 800 maybe

3.white spirit an clean all dust off

4.grey primer and leave over night

5.flat off with 800 again then paint in black (for me)

6.flat off and put another coat on and repeat till looking right

7.once dried then apply laquer

might look s**t as its metallic and should be baked it think

but worth ago as it might look alright

LY200
just took my 172 rear bumper for my 1.6 to the bodyshop, hes charging me £90. but ranges from £70 to £150. some even nearer £200

crashed clio
cheers

im not sure i trust my painting skills on something so big and obvious lol. i can do the little bits (bullets, dash strips, wheels etc) but £90 dont seem to bad, and then it'll be done properly at least.

if i sand it down and filler it before giving to the garage, will it be cheaper?

Mk5 golf gti
£90 sounds like a bargain i was expecting around £200 hence why giving it a go myself lol

hmm if anyone knows of anywhere decent in the north west for that sort of price then pm me