ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

RB 182 Cup Track Project

Thanks, and thanks for the feedback on suspension. Another idea for the melting pot. I'm torn on the budget, we've already spent a lot more than planned. That doesn't mean it's a pattern to repeat, it also doesn't mean it's worth economising for the sake of it... Very tempted to get stock shocks. It handles well, even on the tired shocks, and I think the setup would work well at the 'Ring + we can get them trade. The current main hope is to have the funds for DN trips over the next few years. I don't think coilovers will significantly improve that, and they will dent potential funds.

NB: Don't forget we kept the CAT :smiley:. The CAT and quality of the PMS system are what we're attributing the low 81db. Also, there is no way it was 81db. However, that doesn't matter because it's significantly under 90 and therefore not worth worrying about.

Speedy300

ClioSport Club Member
  M140i
Budget going out of the window, I know that feeling!

Did you get the PMS sports cat? I was planning to get the full system including the sports cat so it would pass MOT's. I think they tend to be generous with their DB readings at Thruxton.

No, we stuck with the original CAT as advised by PMS. Nicky's kit includes a higher flowing end for the original CAT. And, by all accounts, the CAT is pretty good. Ours certainly looked in good condition after 110k when we chopped the end off. It breezed through our MOT emissions test.

AP85NkL.jpg

FntwvSJ.jpg

bhqzC2x.jpg

Need to catch this up!!!! Jumping back to June 2017... High off the back of such an awesome Thruxton Trackday, we went to Combe... Unfortunately, in 15-years of track days, this was by far the worst. Hesitantly booked because it was with the circuit directly and I'd heard bad things. THEY ARE ALL TRUE, AVOID!!!!

lhpyquq.jpg

I don't want to go into details but PM me for more info. I ended up doing about 10-laps and going home early. Never seen such appalling driving and marshalling. It made their action day videos look sane. A perfect storm of booked as open pit but changed to sessions because of being overbooked + awful marshalls + a broad spread of driving abilities & cars + queues over an hour to get on to a 10-minute session.

9iKtnrU.jpg

It was a shame and will be a long while before I go back to Combe for a track day. I like the circuit and used to go lots. I'll try and race there, or stick to my fav TDOs only. Two friends kindly offered me drives in their cars above. I didn't even want to drive my own car on track, nevermind risk driving theirs.

Onwards, via a life-changing detour...

Mini-me arrived :D. SHE IS AWESOME :D - Track days stopped for 6-months. What is sleep? To kick off 2018, Jem and his better-half fancied a learner-friendly track day. And, a good friend/oaf bought a tracktoy/shed to start tracking with his son.

s3Hql9G.jpg

The planets aligned for a chilly, sunny January Bedford GT day with Javelin. Bedford is perfect for learning, IMHO. It's a bit of a marmite track, I love it. A good mix of fast and slow corners, with plenty of runoff. The day aimed to get Jem's GF some laps in the Clio, and I was happy to just go and explore my limits/just have fun. It was a privilege to be there on my friend's son's first trackday and share their stoke. Hoping in 17-years time, I can do the same.

V5zIrFY.jpg

It was a lot of fun hooning around, cocking wheels and lift of oversteering/trail braking into corners. To the point, I was black flagged for drifting after seeing the no drifting board and assumed it was being shown to someone else :D.

A9uONdK.jpg

I'm not proud of getting a black flag, but I am proud of joining Nige's club. Ok, I kinda am, it's FWD :D. After apologising, and accepting my fate, I was allowed out again.

UfTJOHx.jpg

Unfortunately, said friend let me out in his Golf and I couldn't resist again. This time, not right in front of marshall posts...

YpEQaEV.png

Ok, so if you are still reading after the above... A parallel story also started running, and I'll overshare to catch you up...

For 5-years my wife and I went through a lot, including various rounds of IVF, to have a kid. None of it worked. Our bundle of joy was a Christmas miracle after we had all but given up!

Happy to share more via PM, if anyone is in the same situation do reach out. People were very kind to me and I'd like to pay that back. I can fully appreciate the black pit it can put you in. As blokes, we tend not to share these things/it's easy to gloss over this part of the story. Despite the Castle Combe moan, I am an optimist and bundle of energy. This came as close to breaking me as I'd care to admit.

As a byproduct of those 5-years, I had to cancel my dream of racing/place in the Caterham Academy... I'm not uber-wealthy and I'd saved/worked my nuts off to save up the amount required to make it happen. However, those funds were needed elsewhere. C'est la vie, as we can say on a French car forum. However, where one door closes others can open...

kz4Grx1.jpg

Last edited:
After each track day and before the next outing we spanner check the Clio. Oil changing it every 1-2. Since buying it the clutch has been a concern and we've suspected the shocks are also originals. At Bedford, Jem called time at 4 pm because the rear wheel bearings were making a din. The shocks and clutch felt fine, better than they did at Thruxton/Combe.

The todo list looked like:
  1. Replace Rear Wheel Bearings
  2. Fit Vibratechnics Engine Mounts
  3. Replace Shocks
  4. Replace Clutch
  5. Replace Cambelt and dephaser
  6. Fix ePAS issue - The knob needs twiddling before it cuts in
  7. Fix ABS issue - Semi-fixed, we have a switch on the dash to turn it on/off again

We're all super-busy and focused on a need to do, only. The cambelt and dephaser were done by the previous owner. With no receipt and some interesting paint markings to suggest it might not have been timed with the correct locking tool. However, we took a peek at the belt and a healthy dyno run suggests it's not am immediate worry. Therefore, we just did an oil change and fitted SKF rear bearings. Leaving the rest for another day.

2Vj6r6k.jpg

Thruxton again, LOVE THIS PLACE. No videos as the GoPro failed. An easy 120mph+ indicated through Church and no need to lift. An epic-day with LOTS and LOTS of laps and great friends. CD run a great event. MUCH better than MSE, no cones scattered over the track and a far better briefing. Our friends with the VR came too and were equally taken with Thruxton. We let them out in the Clio, this proved a mistake as the Oaf broke our seat rail with his heft.

WRC2Bbs.jpg

cnVBqSr.jpg

Church is BRUTAL on tyres, we refer to it as the cheese grater...
ApwvgkT.jpg

Thruxton confirmed the shocks were shot. After 110k and several track days on top, it's not surprising. Given how well they had done and how enjoyable the Clio was to drive, we opted for some factory replacements and used the savings vs. coilovers to buy some more Pure Motorsport Upgrades.

Z47Amny.jpg

Top mounts and strut brace ordered and fitted.
Ib9QaNW.jpg

Edcdk4e.jpg

We also used tried and failed to fix the ePAS. We tested all wires, cleaned up the earth contact and still, it oddly requires us to twiddle the knob and wiggle it (a nod to Mighty Car mods) to kick in. Hey, ho, off to Rocky we go...

qX72TL3.jpg

Sadly, Rockingham was sold and this was to be our 'final' outing. As a result, we got a good turn out of friends! Thanks to a close relationship with CD, they kindly let us organise a farewell 'club' photo.

TDV1PzW.jpg

I'll miss this place and its epic dry grip vs. ice rink wet. Back in 2005, it played host to my first-ever track day. The 'final' day was a lot of fun, the new shocks and top mounts offered a significant improvement on turn-in and managing bumps/damping. A lot of 'slop' removed. Again, the Go Pro failed. Thankfully, two friends recorded our final session as the sun started to set, literally and metaphorically, on Rockingham Motor Speedway...

"Hi, thinking of taking Harry to DN21 for his 21st. Fancy coming along?

From the start of this thread, something has been missing. Our aim was/is to create a reliable track toy and enjoy UK events and the NURBURGRING. Since building the house, and making some poor car choices - 996 I am looking at you, the 'Ring has been missing from my life. That sounds melodramatic, but if you've suffered the 'Ring-bug you know what I mean. And, if you haven't and plan to go, you probably will. It's a place like no other. Spa is my favourite circuit, the 'Ring is my favourite place. Just being there is extraordinary.

My wife is no fool, she knew this was Pandora's box reopening and not just an opportunity to celebrate with a father and son on their first 'Ring trip. The added sentimental pressure must have helped, I was given the OK! Being back was emotional. I felt VERY lucky, and that I NEEDED it. 3-years was too long to have not been. Want isn't strong enough. This was, and still is, pure need.

236ee382fdf16973567dc3bb44c21b51.gif

DN21 was a single-day event, even events tend to be 2-days and odds 1. We arrived the day before, in time to enjoy the end of a VLN race followed by a quick steak on a stone before our Bus Tour. BUS-w*****s-US-UP! DN Events were trying something new for DN21, an organised bus tour with regular stops and narration from a legendary Nurburgring coach/driver. The real hero was the bus driver, who managed lift-off-oversteer through the Kleine-Karussell. Lift-off-oversteer in a COACH!!!!! Never thought I'd recommend a bus tour, but all three of us agreed it was an experience!

6CkCBwB.jpg

My friend had negotiated a good deal for an N-Rent Swift. Having not driven a mk1 for ages, I was keen to sample its basic delights. The Stage 2 mk2s from R4R are faster and more refined, but the S1 is what I cut my teeth in. Collecting the mighty beast, we further negotiated the extra laps costs down as much as we could. This proved a good moved as it turns out 2 experienced 'Ringers and 1 hot-shoe 20-year-old who has lived and breathed the 'Ring but never been can do quite a lot of laps in a single day.

L31SGnw.jpg

The obvious priority was my friend's son, I was just happy to be there. They did the sighters and I caught up with lots of friends in the DD & car park.

WzWtAfi.jpg

Another advantage of doing a DN Event is it's popular with lots of people and cars we know. Even if you don't know anyone, the car park is welcoming and a friendly place. WITH A LOT OF CAR p**n. At 8 am, sighting laps start with no overtaking and reduced speed laps. At 9 am, the circuit goes green, sighting rules stop, and it's business as normal. Around 10ish, damp and likely to get wetter, it was my go. My friend's son asked if he could jump in and off we set. Despite having 3 GoPros we never found time to fit one and were having too much fun to worry about it. A mistake with hindsight, one I keep making, ALWAYS RECORD!!! However, a friend spotted us on this video from 6:37 on. These would have been my first laps.

My driving is nothing special, I'm happy to be decidedly average. Having sat next to, and now raced with, some pro-drivers, I've been firmly put in my place. My kicks come from car control and lapping, lap after lap, consistently and safely. Ideally, learning and improving as I go. And, I love skids, but who doesn't.

9kOAwBQ.jpg

As it got closer to lunchtime, I'd done four laps and was happy to let Harry have the rest of the day. However, he literally had a 'Ringbug and they went off to get some drugs to help. By this time it was properly wet and hardly anyone was lapping.

K1fp4Sn.jpg

I got a little bit lost/fixated and very guiltily did a 5 lap stint. During that time only one car overtook the mighty Swift. A Cayman with a VLN driver testing on full wets. I got into a rhythm and was having so much fun I lost track of everything else. As said, we didn't time or film. However, as one of the only cars out I got quite a bit of attention from the Frozenspeed Photographers. From their timestamps, I was consistently managing sub-11 minute full laps (not BtG) in the pouring rain! The Swift was so much fun, and the ideal vehicle for the conditions. It moved around a lot! Being smooth, using wet lines, and keeping up momentum proved the most fun (and safe/no drama).

26cOzuF.jpg

Coming round for what would have been my sixth lap, I had a huge pang of guilt and pulled into the car park. Quickly called the Dad to profusely apologise for my selfishness. He answered, by saying they were nearly back at the circuit. They'd had a nice lunch and got some drugs! RESULT! I'd gotten away with it!!!

dUHmCVH.jpg

From here I insisted I was done and it would be much easier for them to have the rest of the day to do as they pleased without considering me. Content just to be there and with a bonus 9 laps survived. I used the time to catch up with old friends and make some new ones. And, to just enjoy being there. Including making a new friend with a lush spec 992. Who kindly offered me a pax.

rRMmO6Q.jpg

Coming back into the car park from the lap in the 911, my phone was buzzing. Father and son were done, would I like the last lap with limited time left. I offered the 911 owner a pax, and let fate choose. It seemed the right thing to do as he'd just generously taken me out. Fully expected him to say no. He said yes, off we went. Another fun lap with hardly anyone out. Two comments made me chuckle: "It's like a van in here" and "It rotates a lot". Safe to say new-friend was impressed by the mighty Swift.

Pandora's box officially open, again. 25 laps done! The real heroes were the Swift, the Bus Driver, the Dad for the best 21st-birthday present ever, and Harry (my friend's son) for smashing his first-ever laps of the 'Ring. A trip we all never forget. More Nurburgring mentions/trips to come...

Having greatly enjoyed the Swift, I'd be remiss for not mentioning a small issue that occurred at the end of the day...

dAiSsfK.jpg

Dropping the Swift back, the owner of N-Rent was super pleased to see us in one piece. He'd been out doing some laps himself in their Clio and had noticed us overtake him.

Pulling the data-card he asked who was driving around 10:30 am, which was me. He said they had a GPS'd 127mph on the straight into SX, and that was fast in a Swift! But we had a problem... I'd over-revved the car by 500 rpm and that was a 1000 euro fine.

This isn't my first rodeo, and I asked the day before if it was possible to over-rev their Swifts when changing up. Or, if they only counted overrevs on downshifts/hero shifts. The owner assured me it was the latter. Using all of the Revs was fine. To get the most out of the Swifts you have to use ALL of the Revs. They make 'good power' up-top and to keep it 'on-cam' the ratios require using every drop.

Firstly, the owner was surprised I could read the data plots and point out it was only 200rpm over, not 500. Secondly, I could point out it was on up-shifts and not a hero shift as he'd tried to 'sell' it to us as. At this point, the owner couldn't speak or understand English anymore and I realised it was a shakedown. Our deal was very good and our extra laps must have eaten into their profit. I didn't want to leave the day with a bad taste so I offered a further 100 euros to smooth it over and get our deposit back (blocked on my credit card).

The 100 euros did the trick and we were all smiles again and invited to sign the wall.

eTXRAU8.png

For this reason, I won't hurry back to N-Rent. A shame, up until that point the experience was great and the Swift ideal.

Massive thanks to my friend and his son for including me in their special trip. The above is just a side note in an otherwise EPIC excursion.

Worth noting, I had the only over Rev. The other laps were all fine and my friends' data plots were all around 200 rpm lower than mine from what I saw. The other laps were all wet, this was one of my only dry/damp two.

N-Rent could still be a good option to hire from, unless you like ALL of the Revs :D.

Also worth noting, all of the rental companies charge for over revs and data log. N-Rent is not unique in this. This is the only time I've been charged/accused though...

hDVbToE.jpg

Last edited:
The next round of the VR vs Clio championship moved to Dony in August 2019.

nbEpYhx.jpg

We managed to fit GoPros! However, Harry's failed and this is all the footage we got.

Mine faired a little better, rather than trawl through hours of footage. Here is my fastest lap.

And, if you're chasing the cure for insomnia, here is me getting angry at an M3 with an appropriate plate. Not much annoys me on track, but a powerful car slowing up a slower momentum-based car in corners is near the top of my pet peeves.

I forgot before Rocky in Oct 2018, we also swapped in some new CL6s pads on the front. The old ones had about a third left and we figured it was a good time to change them out and stick new discs on as well. The CL6s are ace, but they get very hot and eat discs. As the discs are less than 50% of the price of the pads this isn't as bad as it sounds.

WgVTpnj.jpg

Before Dony, we also did an oil change, our usual spanner check and fitted SS brake lines and the Vibratechnics engine mounts. And, sadly discovered a pretty big oil leak from the sump gasket. We silicon sealed it to stop it dripping and kept an eye on it throughout the day. Not a drop was split but it's not a fun job to replace... Our list now looks like...
  1. Fix oil leak(s)
  2. Replace Clutch
  3. Replace Cambelt and dephaser
  4. Fix ePAS issue - The knob needs twiddling before it cuts in
  5. Fix ABS issue - Semi-fixed, we have a switch on the dash to turn it on/off again

I get all of the good jobs! This is higher than head-high...

udNwsBL.jpg

The day itself was a lot of fun, lots of duelling with the Golf. That had a new gearbox from a V5 mk4 Golf and slicks!

DK386YT.jpg

They had A LOT more poke than us. Down the back straights that meant they had to lift for us to catch up, to even stand a chance.

jwquetH.jpg

The day was nearly fault free, until Si span on his last lap. He somehow managed to limp back to the pits but the alternator had seized. He swears the car popped out of gear and that's why he span. However, video evidence suggests he just lifted and it came round. That said, we did have other video evidence of the Clio popping out of fourth a couple of times.

GB1GHQR.jpg

We suspected this was down to the engine mounts being stiffer and the upgrade dog-leg gearbox mount having failed. Back to Pure Motorsport for an upgrade. Post track day spanner check we fitted a new alternator and the mount! It's overkill, but epic!

XgJskCd.png

Somewhat inevitable we will end up with the whole kit :D

DN22, somewhat predictably after DN21 Pandora's box reopening... As said in the DN21 post, even days are 2-day events! Hiring was out of my price range, and the Clio todo list was looking long. Neither Si nor Jem fancied going this year. Jem did say next time (you can see where this is going).

hGZt0UN.jpg

Fate interjected when a friend pinged whom I shared a Swift back in 2013. He had not been since and would love to do DN22 in his MX5. But didn't want to drive it out there. If I was up for trailering it and splitting the costs, would I like to do DN22? I had not driven this particular MX5 but it's maintained by a mutual friend and I've always lusted after it. Towing it out was easy with my former 530d and trailer combo. Uneventful, until the day before DN22 the owner had a moment on the way to get fuel.

omxpuSj.jpg

The MX5 was on Avon ZZRs, combined with damp weather & road was interesting. The moment spooked both of us, and when it came time for sighting laps my friend asked if I would take it out first.

62z3Ry0.jpg

Timed it so we could get one lap in and then he could have a go still under sighting conditions. The 'Ring would then be live for his second lap. Exciting is how I would best describe the first lap. I could not get any heat into the tyres, and had made some slow speed big saves and angles. My friend asked me to narrate what I was thinking and doing, I tried but needed ALL of my cognitive powers to stay on the black stuff. Think 5p, 20p, 50p angles and saves. As we finished the lap my friend suggested I should do another.

Xps804H.jpg

This lap I pressed on a little more, which rewarded us with some grip from the ZZRs. Fewer saves, more speed. It was now starting to dry and the circuit was about to go live. My friend suggested I do one live lap at pace and then he would like a go. It was starting to dry out and getting heat into the tyres was a lot easier, grip levels were up. There was even time to wave at my friend taking pics.

8eAwBqa.jpg

After this the owner jumped in for two laps, obviously nervous he did well. Some composed and safe laps. It took more out of him than he planned and he suggested a coffee while I could take the mighty mx5 out solo. I'm not one for timing, but curiously threw Harry's-Lap-Timer on in the glovebox and did my best to forget it was there. I don't condone timing and would normally just use a GoPro and calculate it after the event. Lack of working GoPro (not mine this time, the owner's failed - I think I am cursed) and curiosity got the better of me.

V4YSe1U.png

I had three flyers and was back in the car park within half an hour. What a machine, truly grateful to my friend for sharing it with me. It's lightly moded and well geo'd + being harnessed it made it a joy. Hot ZZRs on a dry track are also a thing of wonder. Had a good battle with a Pista, he eventually let me through and had a flyer for my third and final lap. An 8:40, my fastest lap of the 'Ring to date. There is plenty more in the car but that was the limit of my 'talents'.

uDzLZsO.png

Found the owner in the car park and he suggested an early lunch. after a chilled lunch with friends he went out solo for a few laps and got on it.

JNvje4K.jpg

As he came back in the weather changed back to damp. We did quite a few more laps, growing in confidence in the variable conditions but nothing as quick as our dry laps, unsurprisingly. Day two was going to be wet all day. I regret describing DN21 as biblical. DN22 truly was.

EsV7sr1.jpg

It sounds contrite, but I actually enjoyed day two more. Carrying the confidence from day one and the nearly empty track meant MANY MANY laps were done with very little wear to the car. I learnt a lot and think my driving improved as a result of being out for long periods in the conditions. A friend set the challenge of full drifting AF with a traversal. And, I came close but on my best run it gripped up for a fraction of a second midway through the transition, making it two skids and no transition :(. Too much fun, which made me regret owning a Clio instead of another MX5... Not what you want to read on a Clio forum, or what I wanted to type.

eIykq9h.jpg

Another great DN event! Sorry to harp on about how good they are but IMHO they really are the best way to drive the 'Ring. Clio content from now on, this was a bit of a low point, and spoiler alert, it gets a little lower before coming good again.

Last edited:

jameswrx

ClioSport Club Member
Sounds like a good hire car scam (regards the limiter). Wouldn’t exactly be hard to fit a rev limiter to the car, just shows it’s all about the ‘little’ earner there!

Sounds like a good hire car scam (regards the limiter). Wouldn’t exactly be hard to fit a rev limiter to the car, just shows it’s all about the ‘little’ earner there!

It has a limiter, and you can't accelerate the car over it. It cuts if you hit it. Obviously, you can hero shift going down. Which I thought I had confirmed with the owner...

We have a theory or two...

1) I was getting very close to the limiter before engaging the clutch, the flywheel was then carrying on and lifting it over. Thinking R4R fit lightweight flywheels and suspect N-Rent leave them stock. Despite all three of us hitting the limiter a few times over the course of the day, that one dry lap was the only one with a few over revs and our fastest lap of the day.

2) The odd thing then is the highest speed over-rev going into SX, which was the fastest part of the circuit in the Swift for us. Wonder if I was near the limiter on that and then somehow gravity helped defeat it.

Who knows, not tempted to try again and find out. Just something to be aware of if anyone does want a cheap Swift for a few laps :D.

Last edited:
qc81zCT.jpg

Round 5 of the VR vs Clio Cup returned to an old favourite, Rockingham! Wait, what???? Last time was the last time? The new owner is a petrolhead fan of the Mission Motorsport Charity, resulting in a bonus day of fun(d raising)! It was a bit of a surprise, light on time we just did an oil change and made sure the Clio wasn't dripping from its various leaks.

W0rgpYt.jpg

Having sold my 530d the week before, we needed Jem's new tow-toy. Thankfully, he was keen having not managed to drive Rocky before. Towing with the Q5 was the ideal cure for rose-tinted glasses and crying about how much I missed the 5. After 6-years and many adventures, saying goodbye hurt. I've towed with lots of vehicles, from vans to RRs and while the 530d was epic, it's nice to tow higher up. The reduced spray, better visibility, increased weight, mega mirrors, and radar cruise makes for safer and easier towing.

D9yLRNc.jpg

Having done Rocky lots and Jem never been, I was keen he got the most of it. When it was my go the Clio was going OK... I've always wanted to emulate my touring car heroes and launch it onto two wheels over the hump after Pif-Paf (one of the greatest series of corners). There is usually a marshall stood watching it and dissuading people from attempting such a thing. This time, there wasn't. I warned Jem in advance and went full send through Pif-Paf. It felt amazing :D. Convinced the right side of the car was in the air and never made contact with the grass. Landing neatly back on the black stuff the other side of the hump. With that done, I truly felt Rockingham had been completed.

BUZYnXI.jpg

The VR was quick, keeping up was getting harder! A friend in his Holda-Elise briefly followed me for a bit to show his friend paxing FWD can be fun too. At first, I tried to let them through. Then realised they wanted to follow so did my best to three-wheel and not hold them up too much. Unfortunately, while pressing on this the handling of the Clio seemed to change. Vague on turn in and understeering more, I guessed at overheating the tyres so took it for a cool-down lap and returned to the pits. Jem and I gave it a once over but couldn't see anything wrong. We stopped for lunch and came back to find the driver's right flat as a pancake. Ah, handling issue discovered. Taking the tyre off we couldn't find a leak. We over inflated it, drove on it, rotated it through a big puddle by hand, and it just held the pressure. Confused, we did some steady laps and re-checked. All good! This significantly reduced our afternoon confidence. 130 mph on the banking with a questionable tyre is suboptimal...

l06iG94.jpg

Out of the VR vs Clio Cup we tried to make the best of it. Jem got some more laps in but we called time at 4pm and headed for home. I'll be honest, having driven the reliable, precise and wonderfully balanced RWD MX5... My thoughts on the Clio weren't great... Next instalment has been brewing for a while and will be even more self-indulgent. It also overlaps with the blog posts. I'll leave this as a teaser...

hpfHqth.jpg

Intro

19-years and 64-days before this photo I stopped at this Crickhowell Petrol Station. Headed for Portsmouth to start a career with IBM at the tender age of 18.
MvvIQpR.png

In this pic I am driving the other way heading for Anglesey Circuit to race in the 2019 Race of Remembrance [RoR]! And, still with IBM! Before descending into my usual ramblings please consider supporting this exceptional charity. Corona uncertainty cancelled this year's RoR [2020]. How can you help?

And, acknowledging two people better with words and wheels than me... Here are Nick Trott and Dario Franchitti on 2019's RoR.

Nick: https://www.driving.co.uk/news/features/remarkable-mission-race-remembrance-2019/

Dario: https://www.pressreader.com/uk/autosport-uk/20191114/281621012158629

The End-in-the-Middle

MALa0n1.png

Our writeup begins in the middle of RoR 2019, with the sorry photo above. In the wet and dark, the owner lost it into Rocket, tagged a marshall post's concrete foundations, and broke his collar bone. Ending our race.

SGtsCYf.png

My first challenge was telling the other paid driver the owner had crashed. My second was repeatedly answering "You must be gutted?". Yes... But no... Not really...

1. This isn't the place to feel sorry for yourself. RoR is an event that supports ex-military personnel and their families. People here are missing loved ones and limbs from serving our country. Feeling sorry for yourself isn't appropriate. The atmosphere surrounding the event won't let you.

2. The owner deserves better. Racing is expensive! Money changes hands on the theory everything goes well and the understanding it may not. It's easy to criticise the owner for going full-send early in a 12-hour race, but to do so ignores:
  • We were out of position and he was doing an impressive job of catching up.
  • Our mechanic twisted his ankle Thursday night. The owner strapped it, made sure he got home, and in his race suit changed our front brakes.
  • The owner sorted our race entry, prepared the car, dragged the car to Anglesey, organised us as a team, sorted accommodation etc, etc, etc. It's a long list. While we had a great team boss during the race, the bits outside the race I am guilty of not helping the owner.
  • s**t happens, in life as in motorsport.
3. It could have been me. The owner took a huge risk in offering me a seat in this race. I could have been the one in the wall. This is racing, the risk-reward ratio is part of it.

Please support Mission Motorsport: https://www.missionmotorsport.org/news/2020/10/5/yourror

The Beginning - Thursday

Since RoR started I've wanted to race it and avoided attending until in a position to drive. From now on, I'll do my best to both drive and attend, regardless. Don't make my mistake. Attend the next one! Friday-Sunday, a three-day event. A 12-hour race in two parts: six hours into the night on Saturday, pausing at 9 pm. Resuming Sunday, with a stop at 11 am for the Remembrance service as the centrepiece of the event.

m1HT7iU.jpg

Drove up early Thursday morning to see friends and meet the team. In true 'Olly-style' I'd not: been to Anglesey, been on a circuit in the dark, raced in a multi-class event, or driven a Clio 197. Getting more comfortable with unknowns. More felt excited and fortunate to be able to race at RoR 2019 and in this team/car.

jLuKdWB.jpg

If walls could talk our accommodation could share a lot! Down from the circuit it was a little oasis. Once visited by some hallowed greats.

ooid1sl.jpg

Qualifying - Friday

Keen to not repeat Oulton's lack of prep. With the added pressure of the Clio being in the top class. I've done a lot of Anglesey studying, many hours of karting, too much Youtube, and chatting to people who've raced it before. I've also been keeping on top of fitness and recently back from a wet-two-day-Nurburging Track Day [DN22]. For someone who has never been to Anglesey, I'm as ready as I can be. The drive up through Wales also offers lots of opportunities to practise 'the art' of driving. Welsh roads are stunning (more on this later).

2016Jwa.jpg

Practice

The practice session opens and the owner takes the Clio for a few laps to warm it up. It started sunny, then a bit overcast and moist. The owner brings the car back in and it's all change to glorious sun shine. Briefed by the boss, I am let out for 3-laps to see how it goes.

kTY6258.jpg

IT'S FAST, faster than I expected. The LSD works well and rewards keeping your foot in. This is counter to how my open-dif Clio 182 works and takes some recalibrating. On mine, a little lift tucks the nose. With 92, lifting seems to understeer and it rewards remaining more 'committed'. My first three laps aren't a disaster and I pit for some feedback and tips. Our hot-shoe offers corrections to my lines into Rocket and am told no braking required for the first corner.

N1D8Squ.jpg

Out again for another 3-laps, I manage to miss our pit board and extend this to 5. The last lap of which sees me turn in too early for Church. Realising my mistake and carrying too much speed, I lift. The Clio starts to understeer only making my situation worse. The grass is now inevitable. The question becomes how many wheels and spin or no spin. Back on the gas we're no longer understeering. I can see I am going to make it. Momentum is on my side and if I keep my foot in and 'deal with' two wheels on the grass it'll be 'fine'. Sheepishly return to the pits to be greeted by the owner "Had an off have we?". "Ah... you saw that?". "No, but have a seen the other side of the car...". The poor Clio is coated in mud from our excursion. My quickest lap was a second off the owner's. This prompts two things, the end of practise as I've been deemed quick enough and time to get some new tyres. The Michelin PS4s are our wet weather option and qualifying is going to be dry-dry.

Day Qualifying

F82I8jA.jpg

The owner consults with tyre guru Nick Dougil and a deal is done for some MRF semi-slicks. Not a brand I'd come across before but Nick assured the owner it was a good fit for our dry needs. Our strategy is owner out, me out, and then hot-shoe out to set our time. Our fourth musketeer is delayed and using his charms to skip qualifying. The owner goes out and is already 5-seconds quicker. 5-seconds!!!!! Now it's my turn.

nWJ7s6w.png

The MRFs are like witchcraft. The turn-in and levels of grip are much improved. Neither resolves my issues with Church. It's becoming a bogey corner. I keep turning too late or early, nothing feels right. There is a lot of traffic and my brief is to have fun and bank some laps. No heroics or pressure. I get held up and wait behind a gaggle of C1s, on finding my way through my next victim is the MX5 in the garage next-door. I follow him for a few corners and he's not making it easy for me to get passed. This is racing after all... I get a good run on him through Seamens and send it up the inside into The Hairpin. Stealing a quick glimpse reveals it's Marino Franchitti. When I get back to the pits, this is a pinch myself moment. Our hot-shoe offers some coaching: "No matter what, get passed the slower cars. Don't wait, or you slow to their pace and that adds up over a 12-hour race". Point noted! I crack the joke on social media "If you want to go C1 racing, you need a Clio 197". It wasn't funny there, it isn't funny here. It's so true!

J1vGXLu.jpg

Despite two goes, our hot-shoe fails to beat the owner's time and we qualify P18.

Night Qualifying

When you are speaking to a 6ft+ bear, who's explaining after his first night time qualifying he had to have a little cry in a campervan, confidence isn't high. The lights on the Clio are good, I just need to do three laps, there is no pressure. I'm out last this time, to make sure it's extra dark...

CIO4HVf.png

It's like normal driving on steroids. Everything feels faster, like 1.5x on a podcast. The Clio feels good and I know where the track goes, no pressure other than banking some laps helps. I settle into a rhythm and my times and traffic management aren't a disaster. Overtaking two C1s, into my now nemesis, Church, I'm on the inside and going way too fast. I hold the brake a fraction too long while turning in to try and scrub off as much as I can. The trail braking is poorly executed, I'm now oversteering. The headlights do a great job of illuminating the grass. Grass is all I can see. I'm still on the track and sure I am in the middle of it. I point the wheels where I think I need to go and get back on the accelerator. It's a catch of sorts and my only drama. Coming round again I see the board and bring her in at the end of the next lap.

About now I could use a hug, it's been a long day and all sinking in. I take a wander down the pits looking for Max Coates who's also got a drive this weekend. Max supplied a quality hug and said it looked like I was going well. I'll take this praise and call time on part 2.

Crash Day - Saturday

Prepping

The Clio is mighty, my 'move' on Marino in qualifying obviously wasn't skill-based. Despite being in the same class, the Clio is QUICK and going well. Sort of... Forgot to mention the pressure to not stall on track during practice and qualifying... The Clio developed a small starting issue, and this became our new starting procedure.

gerQuh5.jpg

Not so easy to do if you stall on the circuit. It definitely sharpens your driving skills and clutch control. Our other mechanic turned up late Friday evening in his 'sheddy work vehicle' with our team medic.

qnOsjwv.jpg

Did my best to help and stay out the way. Spending time sat in the Clio going through the start process to help diagnose and test the fix. The Hot-shoe also jumped in and we chatted while our poor mechanic was getting more and more stressed. He didn't appreciate the finer points of French electrics. Fixed, we had a working starter for the race!

JzW2qFI.jpg

The rest of the day is a bit of a blur, drinking coffee and hanging out with friends. Tom Ingram was also in our garage and he is FUNNY. Lots of banter was had, he was all smiles and had time for everyone which was nice to see. Don't ask him about mice.

It's on

Cars assembled in Parc fermé, it's getting real.

hotsLD2.jpg

Our original driver order changed because the fourth driver's charms have worn off. Allowed to race without having taken part in qualifying, he is not allowed to race at night. The order is the other paid driver to start, then the owner, hot-shoe, and me for the final stint of the day. 90 minutes in the dark! The start is Chaos, the other paid driver does well to avoid contact and survive. At the end of his stint, he hands over to the owner, who goes on a charge. We are watching in awe as he moves up 3-5 places a lap. His lap times tumbling. And, then... We see some yellows, hear rumours of a biggie, and see an ambulance go down the pit lane. Hot-shoe and I are watching the timing board and can see 92 not moving. It's not a good feeling. 92 starts dropping through the order and we learn it's the owner who has crashed.

MALa0n1.png

It's off

He's OK but in shock, looks a bit pale, and our medic's concerned his shoulder is badly broken. Our mechanic and medic take the owner off to A&E in the 'sheddy work tool'. Figuring it would more comfortable and quicker than an ambulance.

nesHvpK.png

A friend, Rich, who came to spectate and I set about loading the Clio on the trailer and helping where we can. Keeping busy keeps my mind off things and there is a lot to do and work out in the aftermath. Rich was on Facebook straight away trying to find a local Clio. His spirit inline with the ethos of the event. However, there is no way the marshalls are going to let 92 back on track. It's all our mechanic could do to stop them cutting the cage. 92 is dead, our race is run.

In the words of Chris Harris: "PLEASE SUPPORT THIS EXCELLENT CHARITY"

Hmmm, not best pleased with the above writing. On about my fifth go at drafting a blog post for it. Doesn't feel like I've done the people or event justice. Will share when I get it done. All feedback/thoughts appreciated. Journo, I am not!

For now, need to update this with DN24 Prep and DN24 itself. Then potentially draft an advert... The times, they could be a changin'

DN24 Prep
  1. Fix oil leak(s)
  2. Replace Clutch
  3. Replace Cambelt and Dephaser
  4. Fix ePAS not starting with the car
  5. Spanner Check & Service
We've carried the above list for a while. The risk-reward ratio of UK track-days has been OK. Going all the way to the 'Ring for the clutch or ePAS to fail and knowing the Cambelt and Dephaser were due soon is less OK...

ePAS
Having ruled everything else out we ordered a new controller kit from eBay. Jem fitted it in 5 minutes and we now have ePAS on the whole time. Too annoying for words. But an easy <£50 fix, I'll take it.

This is the kit that worked: https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/142463350168?hash=item212b7a3598:g:d08AAOSwqOtZgPdf

Oil leaks, cambelt, dephaser and clutch...
It was never going to be a small job. Helpfully, while we were drawing up a plan, Si suggested the Clio hangs on to Revs and 'we' should get a lightened flywheel while doing all of this. More Pure Motorsport Goodness ordered.

aYyu3vT.jpg

Q7mLvYw.jpg

Parts assembled, the adventure began. I've helped a friend build a Caterham in 24-Hours as part of a team, but I've not taken an engine out or done something on this scale. 50% looked forward to it. 50% wondered why on earth, on a gloriously sunny weekend, we thought this was a good idea. Thankfully, this was something Jem could do in his sleep (possibly in his nightmares vs. the Volkswagens they specialise in).

UXLWwmL.jpg

RY45BG0.jpg

No turning back now!!!

ltgWcpG.jpg

Someone had been in before and the tipex was an ominous sign. However, Jem had the factory locking tool so all was well.

K45YtpZ.jpg

And, breath...

Fz1pnXP.jpg

Well, that was an experience. Mostly, I tried to stay out of the way and fetch things. Massive thanks to Jem. While doing all of this we also did a full service, including replacing the gearbox oil.

New front pads, discs and calliper
Our discs and pads looked OK, but measuring the front pads showed a discrepancy between driver and pax-sides. As a precaution, we bought a replacement calliper and new CL6 pads & discs.

uS97I8c.jpg

Finally, because I wasn't poor enough/in the dog house as a result of Clio bills
We bought some NS-2Rs in Hard Compound. The mediums were out of stock everywhere and given DN24 was a two-day event we opted for the Hard.

Bedding everything in!
Having done all of the work, and with the engine having been out, we wanted to get 200 road miles on the Clio before departing for Germany. This wasn't as much of a chore as it sounds. Probably the most enjoyable part of the process. Jem and I took turns driving around Cornwall after work. Lots of late dusky evenings. Nothing fell off and she drove well. The new tyres were significantly quieter, we could even talk whilst driving around. A revelation vs. their old stock of semi-slicks we'd now fully depleted. The fly-wheel adds to the occasion. Placebo maybe, but it feels that much more RACECAR.

With a final spanner check, that was it, we were as ready as we were going to be...

Driving to Germany in the middle of a global pandemic was always going to be suboptimal. Having had DN23 cancelled, the fate of DN24 seemed to hang in the balance. The organiser did an amazing job of keeping us informed and up-to-date. The government less so. Rules and advice were a swirling mess. This led to our plan: "Do it!", but don't stop in France or Belgium. Drive straight from the Chunnel to Germany. Stopping in France or Belgium could have risked quarantine. Looking back, this was all a gamble and I am grateful to Jem and DN Events for going ahead with it.

yGGcpxO.jpg

All cleaned, packed and ready to go we set off at 5 am.

yKDiKXW.jpg

You may have noticed the Q5 colour and licence plate changes. My unoriginal copying of Jem, realising a Q5 is the ideal car/530d replacement. This one is actually mine. Also seen in the DN24 prep post having its Audi towbar fitted. The pandemic caused a global shortage of towbars. Direct from Audi was all we could get and it would have been my ideal choice. The Q5 is a keeper and the factory fit towbar is neat. Least said about the bill, soonest forgotten...

ouTSUBH.jpg

After the will-it-won't-it and 'Rona anxiety, it was a most welcome road trip! Long but easy run. The Q5 towed well, radar cruise is a game changer! We unloaded, devoured steaks on stones, and on the way back to our friend's stopped for a cheeky photo.

w8yM0dx.jpg

Because of driving in one hit, and to be totally honest, getting older, we gave ourselves a day's grace before DN24. This gave me some time to show Jem some of the local roads and to get some more miles on the Clio. Benefits of it being MOT'd, taxed and insured.

Day 1
Forecast to be initially dry, with rain due mid-morning. Possibly drying mid-afternoon. I let Jem decide what and how he wanted to do it. Encouraging him to get as many dry laps in as possible.
We agreed:
I'd do one sighting lap, then he'd do 2-3.
I'd do a lap in anger/on the green circuit, then he'd do as many as he fancied.
Maxing Jem's time in the dry before the rain came.

huiDR6n.jpg

After Jem had done some laps we stopped for a coffee and watch as the rain started to fall. As others were coming in, it seemed a great time to see how the Clio faired in the wet. Having enjoyed it a lot at Donington, I was hopeful our choice of Nankangs would work OK.

FevOwP5.jpg

And, wasn't disappointed. The Clio was great fun! The game became managing understeer/finding grip. Getting the car to rotate proved the most efficient/fun way to manage it. Either: lifting, trail braking or aggressively turning in/loosely throwing it at the corner. A combo of worked well. We did a lot of laps. Letting Jem have a go whenever he fancied. He did well considering he still wasn't in double figures for laps and was driving a sodden track. We kept swapping and only stopped for fuel and lunch. Friends and people in the car park commented we seemed to be going well and out lots. Fully flat at an indicated 138 mph in the pouring rain and the 'Ring to yourself is a dream-like experience.

Willing it DRY:

Then it was dry again, an ace way to end an ace day. Jem got some more dry laps. The Clio was fun and faultless. The lightened flywheel makes a significant difference on track. Heel and toeing was even more satisfying. We spanner checked and packed up. Looking forward to a dryer tomorrow and even more laps.

YTPWNXD.jpg

Getting back we discovered all of our GoPro footage was overexposed :(. I will try and save some of it. But have to accept my fate of just being s**t with GoPros. This one wasn't mine, it was Jem's, but still. At least we captured "I think it's drying Jem...... Nope...." (see Insta link above).

Day 2
Forecast to be overcast but dry all day, and didn't disappoint. We got a lot of laps in.

OruPBvb.jpg

This was my quickest (8:42 BtG)

This was the most fun

Bit gutted, neither my finest work and 2 seconds slower than I managed in a relatively stock MX5. There is a lot more in the car and it's clear watching it back how much I am over driving.

My Excuse:
  • Simply trying too hard.
  • First track day in ages
  • First laps without Jem in the car and it felt faster so I tried to go faster
  • Starting in the wet and driving around the understeer it then looks like I tried to apply a similar 'approach' in the dry. Smoother is faster!
  • Power corrupts. Said slightly tongue in cheek. If you compare this to some of my Swift videos, you can see I conserve far less momentum and just use the Clio's additional power to make up for poor driving/lines.

Lots learnt, and more importantly, had LOTS of fun. Impressed with the Nankang NS-2Rs. I'd like to try the softer ones in the dry. Well, I'd like to try the AR1s, a Pure Motorsport rear anti-roll-bar and a bit more seat time with the Clio :D. The hard compounds were a reasonable compromise for a wet and dry combo. Before my reaction times are done, I need to race at the 'Ring.

snGVZrS.jpg

Massive thanks to DN Events, and all friends and family who make these trips possible. There is no better way to drive the 'Ring. Even more grateful for making DN24 happen. It turned out to be my only track day of 2020 and my last chance to go to the 'Ring for a while! DN Events are out for me this year (kid2 arriving soon). I'll hopefully be back in 2022. I need to go back in 2022.

Tentatively for sale: https://cliosport.net/threads/clio-182-cup-rb-track-car-£5500.838235/

The lure of Caterham ownership is proving too strong. Only advertising here for now as I hope it goes to a fellow Clio enthusiast. I'll get some better pics/a cohesive set of pics on my drive/outside my house. Also, realised I don't have any shots of the inside.