ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Raspy low hanging scorpion

As per the title, my 182 has a scorpion exhaust which is raspy as f*** when under heavy acceleration, pretty much anything over 3k rpm.
I checked over past MOTs and a few advisories and exhaust was rewelded, doesnt say which join though, that was in april. I bought the car in july and the rear hangers where done so i replaced with polys. Center mount looks completely gone aswell, i have a new im going to fit. I then just need to figure where its blowing. Any tips?
Its also hanging so low the back end looks like its crapping pipes.
20161024_202701.jpg

I aint convinced replacing the center mount will give it any more lift to make any difference on the rear. How the hell do i get this thing to sit up in the bumper?

botfch

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 182
Rear mounts need doing.

Jack it up and look underneath, you should be able to feel where it's blowing.

yeah mate i did the rear hangers already, new brackets and fitted powerflex bushes. Aint tried bending the hangers though, is there enough flex in the chassis mount brackets?
Thats not what the exhaust should look like with new rear mounts, very strange put up some pictures of the mounting points,you shouldn't have to bend the hangers.

Thats not what the exhaust should look like with new rear mounts, very strange put up some pictures of the mounting points,you shouldn't have to bend the hangers.
It was hanging lower than that before hangers where replaced! I pushed the exhaust as far as it would go into the hangers. That last pic shows the center mount on the right.
Left side
20161024_211618.jpg

Right side
20161024_211639.jpg

20161024_212451.jpg

monaco 172
Slacken all the joints. Jack it up around the centre section and backbox. Then tighten all joints and lower jack. If it still sags then remove rear hangers, centralise, fill the lower bits with tigerseal and wait for it to set. Then refit.

Amos91

Honorary Member
ClioSport Club Member
A couple of places I would look for blowing is the cat to exhaust join and also the around the centre silencer. Scorpion eventually added flexi's to help stop it cracking.

I got so fed up with it, I got plates added to the silencer and welded the sleeve!

Exhaust%202.jpg

Wtf is that on the right silencer?
Should look like this
DSCF4001.jpg

Also where its leaking at the join you can use black rtv to seal it, dosnt crack like exhaust paste.
Could do with a new genuine renault centre exhaust mount http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Renault-Clio-Twingo-Genuine-Centre-Exhaust-Mount-Rubber-Bracket-7700424341-/271777361477?fits=Car+Make:Renault&hash=item3f47316e45:g:DUAAAMXQVT9S-2ba
A straight bar has been welded on both boxes, im guessing thats what you can just about see the top off on the right side. I might just cut that off as it hangs below the bumper and looks crap. As @hipwell suggested im just going to slacken everything at the weekend, fit the new center mount and got a mani to cat gasket so might as well fit that too. See if i can get it better aligned and check all joints.
@Amos91 i think the one on mine was from 2011 so hasnt got any of the updated joints. Hoping i shud see something obvious given how many times it seems to have been rewelded in the past.

A straight bar has been welded on both boxes, im guessing thats what you can just about see the top off on the right side. I might just cut that off as it hangs below the bumper and looks crap. As @hipwell suggested im just going to slacken everything at the weekend, fit the new center mount and got a mani to cat gasket so might as well fit that too. See if i can get it better aligned and check all joints.
@Amos91 i think the one on mine was from 2011 so hasnt got any of the updated joints. Hoping i shud see something obvious given how many times it seems to have been rewelded in the past.
The straight bar should be held in place with alen head bolts, but the captive nuts are welded to each tail pipe this is how it should look, sit.
SDC18331.jpg