ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

random idle

wilky19

ClioSport Club Member
  Leon FR 184
sometime the car will idle perfect but other times it will idle anywhere between 1.5k and 3k. if I blip the throttle most of the time it will come back down to its proper idle till I touch the throttle again

is this normally caused by the throttle body sticking or idle control valve.

when it does it look at the throttle body itself on the back, if you can turn the black bit slightly towards the closed position and the idle goes down - it means its sticking... Talking only 1mm of movement but you need to see/try it to tell...

not uncommon for the throttle body to get sticky/ slightly warped.
try inside cleaning first and see what happens.

wilky19

ClioSport Club Member
  Leon FR 184
when it does it look at the throttle body itself on the back, if you can turn the black bit slightly towards the closed position and the idle goes down - it means its sticking... Talking only 1mm of movement but you need to see/try it to tell...

checked it today and it is sticking.

what is best way of regreasing it and what "grease" is best for it

If its a cable throttle body there is a screw on it, turn this screw (2.5mm allan key) until it just stops it sticking.

checked it today and it is sticking.

what is best way of regreasing it and what "grease" is best for it

People on here say they have cleaned them and regreased with success, but ive done mine 4 or 5 times now and it didnt make much difference. I rigged it up with some heavy duty industrial elastic bands like so:

IMG_0446.jpg

It just returns the TB that last millimeter perfectly..Got millions of them in the factory if you want a couple. Only other option is new TB really!

If its a cable throttle body there is a screw on it, turn this screw (2.5mm allan key) until it just stops it sticking.

...but wont moving the throttle stop will just raise the idle? They tend to be a pain in the arse when you start playing with them!

wilky19

ClioSport Club Member
  Leon FR 184
if i could mate that would be great. ill pop up if i have some free time and let you look over the bodging. sod getting a new throttle body

its proper doing my head in already everyone thinks i want to race them cos im either sitting a lights with a 3k idle or blipping the throttle for it to come down

that will just change where it rest and keep it at a high idle

Yeah - but his throttle is stopping short of the grub screw which is leaving him a high idle. If he winds the screw out to rest on it, it will never go lower than the 'high idle' position - as the throttle will be in the same position as when it sticks.

If he wanted to set a 'manual' idle, he would have to remove the idle control valve and blank the hole off, then set the idle with the grub screw - which would result in crap cold starts and a higher idle when fully warm - I did it on a previous throttle body I have. It only happens because the throttle body spring goes slack and dosent return the butterly fully closed

172 PH1 - Black
Guys, sorry to enter this thread a little late, but i've been having similar problems. Does that little trick with the elastic band work? if so i'll put it into practice straight away