ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Rally 172 ph2 project

Mazda mps
Finally, I have created some space in the barn and started on the project! I have had the 172 for about 3 years now and been planning this project for about the same time too. It has been on hold due to a few financial issues and family life getting in the way. I competed on the Mull rally this year in a Diahatsu Cuore this year. She was soooo slow I cannot say I enjoyed the experience. I am not used to being 100 th after the first night! So came home sold her (at a profit) and started the Clio project.
I want to do a few single venues in it and road rallies so I will build it with that in mind. Some performance parts will have to be purchased when the funds allow (lsd, RS induction cams etc) the important thing is to get out.
The plan is to strip the car, removing all the weight I can, put a good cage in and all the safety requirements. Then bolt on the bits I have managed to collect in the last few years. I have a set of Spax adjustable RSX coil overs, a ported and polished head, Janspeed exhaust and decat.
I know starting a project in a draughty cold barn in November isn't a clever idea and the barn has no electricity so everything will be done by hand or with battery operated tools. But it is the building as much as the driving I enjoy. It also keeps me out of the way of the Mrs.
I will post a few pics when I have something of interest to show but as I have only taken the battery out there isn't too much. Out of interest, how do you remove the ecu from its metal holder? I have two 10 mm bolts which I cannot reach without cutting the holder, which I don't mind doing but there must be something better.

Tomo3292

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 1.6 K4m
Good luck mate I will be watching with interest for the updates.

I'm building a 1600cc K4M for single venue rallying.

Just started it last weekend, and still in the stripping process.
image.jpg
image.jpg

Mazda mps
The interior is now out but the dash stubbornly refuses to come out. It is stuck in by two plastic lugs on the passenger air bag. The dash needs to come out as I have an appointment to have a cage stitched in. That's in the new year.