ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Rainsport all season tyres

182 FF
Had a good search on here about all season tyres, can't find a great deal so I am asking the question: Has anyone run an all season tyre? Most of the reviews say they aren't as good as a dedicated snow tyre but these Uniroyals get a good review, looking to buy them so we can get off our estate in the snow as we have difficulty, the roads surrounding are usually OK. They are for our family bus, 1.8 Zafira so for general driving:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/151149127287?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649

Any feedback would be appreciated!

Turbo 182 Alfa 159
Any particular reason you don't want dedicated winter tyres? Can be had for the same price as that set or less.

Coops Mk1

ClioSport Club Member
  Lots of Scrap...
if you live on a snowy estate, and if its anything like mine on a steep ass hill, buy proper snow tyres

not that I do, I just grip it and rip it then abandon the car however far up or down I make it :)

2004 1.5 DCi 100
Do people really buy a new set of winter tyres for the few days of bad weather we get each winter? It only seems to be the last few years that this comes up around this time. I know it's the law in some countrys that get proper winters but do you really need them here? I've never bothered and have never got stuck in the weather we have.

Heez

ClioSport Club Member
  Superleggera'd Bean
Do people really buy a new set of winter tyres for the few days of bad weather we get each winter? It only seems to be the last few years that this comes up around this time. I know it's the law in some countrys that get proper winters but do you really need them here? I've never bothered and have never got stuck in the weather we have.

Winter tyres exceed summer tyres when it's cold and wet. They're not used "for the few days of bad weather" they're used when it's winter. They're not about getting stuck, if it snows really bad then you'll get stuck no matter what but if you have to do an emergency stop you're more likely to stop in time with winters on a cold wet road. Same if you take if too hot into a bend.

I personally haven't felt the need to get winter tyres but it does cross my mind.

mikeh

ClioSport Club Member
  182 Trophy

My winter tyres will go on the moment day time temps drop to around 10°c and will stay on right through until Spring when they consistently raise above 10°c

I have to admit, the snow played some part in my decision to purchase winter tyres - my daily is a RWD Auto, which isn't going anywhere on UHP Summer tyres in heavy and compacted snow no matter how good a driver you claim to be! Being self-employed - no transport = no money.

But, at sub 7°c they tend to outperform their summer tyre counter-parts, as well as being a little more suited to wet/muddy roads.

In the long term, they cost nothing/very little as you're saving your summer tyres while you have the winters on. It's a no brainer, really.

Advikaz

ClioSport Club Member
I've never used winter tyres. I've also never got stuck either & I work - live in the sticks.

Saying that if the snows that bad the tyres aren't going to help that much anyway & I'm sure as hell not going to spend money on tyres to get to work lol. Not a chance.

It's only a couple of days usually max.

Turbo 182 Alfa 159
Whats best budget winters IYO Mate ?

To be fair any winter tyre right from the bottom of the brands will perform better than a high performance summer tyre in cold conditions/snow etc.

This year I will probably run Nexens. I'd say Nokian are one the best money can buy but they may not be worth the extra against other cheaper brands. I would run Nokian but in my odd size they are a fortune so will settle for the Nexens.

Should still perform better than my Pzeros if it does snow as I need to get around no matter what really.

I ran Toyo snowproxes last year on the clio and they were absolutely fantastic. Got through serious amounts of snow, had some mega fun going down closed back roads lol. Ended up picking a mate up 40 mile away because his civic wouldn't move in the snow, he was amazed by them so has just put some on his civic last week for this winter.

You really appreciate them when your on the motorway and everyone is down to lane 1 because of snow and you can just continue to pass everyone down the middle lane etc.

mikeh

ClioSport Club Member
  182 Trophy
Take a look at this - http://www.tyrereviews.co.uk/Article/2013-Winter-Tyre-Overview-Braking.htm

Taking note of this:
Please note: Auto Bild considered places 24-50 so dangerous they did not test them in the snow.

That is just a braking test, but the results are worth considering.

Here's the most recent all-round review I can find:
http://www.tyrereviews.co.uk/Article/2013-AMS-Sports-Winter-Tyre-Test.htm

Basically, the premium brands are really good, Nokians are probably the best midrange (although priced at the top of the mid-range these days). The Nokian WR A3 seems to get really good reviews on subjective dry handling, which may well suit the Clio!

182 FF
Thanks for the responses guys...some good points raised there. I don't really see the need for them but it's mainly for the wife we've got three kids and last year she got stuck about 200 yards away from home and believe me pushing a buggy in deep snow and trying to stop a toddler from slipping over is not fun...so if they stop that happening they are worth it to me.

As suggested I have just bought some Sava winter tyres, the guy in the shop runs them on his cars over winter and swears by them, and having felt the tread pattern you can see how they work, see how they go

Turbo 182 Alfa 159
Thanks for the responses guys...some good points raised there. I don't really see the need for them but it's mainly for the wife we've got three kids and last year she got stuck about 200 yards away from home and believe me pushing a buggy in deep snow and trying to stop a toddler from slipping over is not fun...so if they stop that happening they are worth it to me.

As suggested I have just bought some Sava winter tyres, the guy in the shop runs them on his cars over winter and swears by them, and having felt the tread pattern you can see how they work, see how they go

Nice one! I imagine you'll run them every winter now you've tried them ;)