ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Rain and the Cup

Just wondering how u Cup owners r doing in all this sh!tty weather wer havin. I find it abit hazardous trying to determine how much to put my foot down with the 172 and traction control - (though it doesnt seem to be the best traction control ive ever driven).

I used to have a 205 1.9 and that was deadly in the wet (great car though) - but I definitely would be abit worried driving the 172 in the wet without ABS and TR.

172, Tiguan

I havent found it bad. Its not a rear wheel drive car afterall.

Admitedly there is a loss of traction sometimes, but just wait until your rolling before properly booting it.

Rich-D

ClioSport Club Member
  E90 LCI 330d

They aint great in the wet, but then again neither were any of the other quick fwd cars Ive had...

My R5 Turbo is feckin terrible when it comes on boost and the front wheels spin like mad, even worse than my Cup!

Just need to ease back on the go-go pedal and get some decent tyres!

Fiat Coupe 20v turbo

With roads a bit moist getting power down is a nightmare, I was chasing a ST170 the other day and kept spinning up in 2nd and when I was trying to get power down round corners. He didnt seem to have a problem though, they got traction control?

Not too bad in the wet, found 1st is useless though. Had a moment in the snow, pulled out of a junction turned right, started to turn, then the mother went straight on into a curb!! I was only going slow as well, my front alloy needs refurbishing now. Gutted

Embarrassed to say

First gear is useless in the wet on mine. First the revs raise quickly coupled with wheel spin and the banging. Wish I could get this soughted and just have wheel spin.

E36 323i coupe

I have found a loss of grip in the wet, but I think its more due to the sh*t standard contis.

Dads MGZR has no traction control, and that handles a lot better in the wet - MIchelin Pilots.

MarkCup

ClioSport Club Member

Cup in the rain? Love it!

I like a car that moves about a bit, so you get to feel whats going on, and in the rain it all happens at much slower, safer (?) speeds.

Traction in 1st and 2nd (and sometimes 3rd) is utter crap though...:)

It could be just the tyres that are fitted . Trying different tyres on the Williams makes a massive difference . The best I have found for wet weather grip are the Toyo Proxes and Goodyear Eagle f1s with almost nothing between them . I have tried just about all tyres and found they were the only ones worth fitting . Contis , Michelins etc have just too hard a compound to grip properly , although they do last a long time . The only tyres that are better in the wet are Pirelli P-Zeros , but I think the smallest they are available in is 17" .

You can also try experimenting with tyre pressures . Dropping the pressures by 2-4 psi can make a huge difference in the wet .

Does anyone else have a clonking sound when wheel spinning in their clio cup, my renault dealer reckons this is normal on the 172 cup!

Rich-D

ClioSport Club Member
  E90 LCI 330d

Quote: Originally posted by CUP80Y on 07 January 2004

Yep, the clonking and bangin in the wet comes as standard!!
Its the exhaust sytem hitting the chassis due to the engine thrashing about with the wheelspin...

Only ways round it are a) ease back in the wet, b) get better tyres, c) get uprated engine mounts

I just ease off - have got good tyres but they dont seem to make a great deal of difference in some circumstances. If I need uprated mounts - looks like Renault didnt do enough of the old R&D prior to the Cup launch!!!

Quote: Originally posted by Rich-D on 07 January 2004

Quote: Originally posted by CUP80Y on 07 January 2004

Yep, the clonking and bangin in the wet comes as standard!!
Its the exhaust sytem hitting the chassis due to the engine thrashing about with the wheelspin...

Only ways round it are a) ease back in the wet, b) get better tyres, c) get uprated engine mounts
took mine in for clonking noise when accel hard, no problem they said as they changed the engine mounts, gear box mounts, and exhaust mounts all under warranty ..... since then no noise. Not get palmed off, get them to change them.

KDF

Audi TT Stronic

Unfortunatly the problem is not just restriced to the Cup, the mk2 172 suffers from it too.

Must have to try and get the engine mounts upgraded then.

Aye, I think Ill get those gits in Renault to change the engine mounts. Ill have to put my foot down with them!!

Cheers

E90

Your always going to have problems with light powerful FWD cars and wide tyres, Im more concerned with aquaplaning, frightens the crap out of you at 70-80 mph. The 172 is not that bad, the old Polo gti I had was horrendous, i magaged to spin it, coming off a german motorway, the two outside tyres just touched the white line and it was gone. The advantage of FWD is you see what your going to hit, as opposed to my bosses 85, 911, where you send most of your time looking where your going in the rear view mirror:D

Abarth 500

Ive been having loadsa fun and only spun it once (no damage - just spun in the middle of the road)

My fave road at the moment is Swindon to Oxford A420 which is 25 miles or so of fast single carriageway with a few miles of dual to break it up. I tend to be flying down it a few times a week at 1 or 2 in the morning and whats intriguing is that my times have only slowed down by a couple of minutes since the warm dry nights of the summer! (I do know the road a little better each time which may have some effect on my times!)