ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Race/track day most important tools to take?

Hi,

First race on Sunday want to take some basics for emergency repairs, in the box to leave in paddock so far got...

Oil
Coolant
Zip ties
Gaffer tape
Electrical tape
Gloves
Torque wrench
Pressure gauge (with release button)
Track pump

Was thinking a few bits from socket set and breaker, which are most common need?

Have seen others say take some front pads but dont think I'll need to worry as sprinting so no big heat cycles.

As always any thoughts much appreciated thanks all.

donnylad

ClioSport Club Member
plenty of money for the cafe!

If you need anything though just pop down and I have all the basic tools sorted. I don't take spare car parts though.

I have full socket set with all the other bits (halfords advance one)
ramps
trolly jack
axle stands
18v impactor
12v impactor
drill
duct tape
zip ties
spanners
screwdrivers
molegrips
saws
spare wire
hammer
god knows what else to be honest I just chuck everything in the landy!

Haha great stuff thanks mate, having tow car and trailer must make a big difference. I've got plastic box in case rains and stuffing as much as can in that/boot. I know no guarantees / at own risk but guessing I should be fine just leaving it in paddock, as in all likelihood theres a lot more valuable interesting to nick than my box of random bits.

chris blue

ClioSport Area Rep
  172 Ph1 2001
Sounds daft: change of shirt- can get sweaty and having a dry one makes you ready for next sesh

10/20 litre jerrycan of spare fuel- you will be surprised how much u get thru

Clio 2.0 138hp
Something to kneel on - an old car mat works fine. The last thing you want to be doing is kneeling on gravel, trust me
A brush of some kind such as dustpan brush - the gravel traps fill every nook and cranny and without air tools you have to pick it out by hand, a brush helps massively
Some decent and beefy side cutters - for cutting zip ties if you need to and also to cut any plastics that might come off and get caught in the wheel or something. Tin snips work well too. Emergency only but its better than losing track time.
Would recommend a battery impact gun too if possible, absolute must when you are the driver and mechanic.
Plenty of fluids for you and the car - Water for you and something sugary for after driving. Car fluids to top up and would also recommend brake cleaner and some glass cleaner or sorts. Race tracks are dirty places
I could go on forever, ive done single seater race meetings alone and its a long day when you have to struggle with a lack of gear.

donnylad

ClioSport Club Member
Haha great stuff thanks mate, having tow car and trailer must make a big difference. I've got plastic box in case rains and stuffing as much as can in that/boot. I know no guarantees / at own risk but guessing I should be fine just leaving it in paddock, as in all likelihood theres a lot more valuable interesting to nick than my box of random bits.

You should hopefully be fine leaving stuff, I leave my tools out etc all day and not had any problems so far. Other people will soon realise whats yours and keep an eye on it for you.

What a lot of people do in your class is buy a small pop up tent to keep all your stuff in. takes no room at all and keeps it all safe and water tight :)

chris blue

ClioSport Area Rep
  172 Ph1 2001
^ ^ ^ I take a tarpaulin and just throw it over the tools and spare wheels- very handy if it rains

whether you are in a garage or not

Mertin

ClioSport Club Member
  Ph1 172&Ph2 172 Cup
I have a plano toolbag which is a decent size and have various hand tools in there. I took stuff out my toolbox in the workshop into there for my first race a few years back and have never put them back. So handy to grab for racing, working on a car at home or different location. All the go to tools are there

I also have a small plastic lidded box which I have the following in :
Alt belt (overkill but rather it there than lying at home)
Throttle cable (as above)
Various fuses, relays, coilpack, injector, leads
Some self tapping screws, roofing screws aswell for emergency repairs
Your usual zip ties, tape, rags etc

If you have some common electrical spares at home such as injectors etc that are common failures it would be well worth packing them

Seen 2 guys travel 100ish miles for a sprint, drove the car off the trailer about an hour before due to start and misfirng. Was fine when they loaded it onto the trailer. Think they lost most of that day while they tracked down spares and turned out to be an injector