ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

race number? (do i?)

Struggler

ClioSport Club Member
  Ph1 track 172
i saw this in another thread

attachment.jpg

now 40% of the car (the mods) look dire to me,
but i actually quite liked the race number, makes it look like a track car?!

what are peoples views on this?? could a valver (stripped, caged, buckets) pull one off??
or will it just look stupid?? opinions and any pics please :)

Stripped yozza'd cup
If it looks like track car, then you'll look like a little bit less of a dick, but I'd still say no. Not unless it hardcore and f**king rapid.

Struggler

ClioSport Club Member
  Ph1 track 172
i like to think its a bit hardcore, runs about 150bhp, but is almost completely stripped,
only seats, harnesses, cage and dash remain, (no centre console or carpets)

as for legality??
wtf? how/why is it illegal?? and what penalties does it incur?

Low!
It's not illegal as such.

If you have numbers on your car it can be seen as race preparation and in this world where the insurers are NOT on your side if you have an accident they could try and say your insurance is invalid.

Insurance companies have a clause that excludes normal private cars from covering 'racing'. MSA regs that say competition numbers should not be used on road - Maybe where the myth of 'legaility' issues are..

AFAIK there is NO law on having numbers on the car, however if insurers class the numbers as race prep and therefore invalidating your insurance you maybe technically driving with no insurance?

182cup & 172 racecar
Just no,what the f**k do you want a number on your car for?Get no 11,looks the same if its on its roof.

None :(
AFAIK there is NO law on having numbers on the car, however if insurers class the numbers as race prep and therefore invalidating your insurance you maybe technically driving with no insurance?

I'm no expert, but when filling in my modification form for my insurance, there was a seperate section for "stickers" i did laff when i read this, but after seeing this thread, it kinda makes sence......

TrackCar & F30 330d
I did a trackday at bedford like 2 years ago and i was given this number

IMG_3160.jpg

IMG_4240.jpg

Only kept it on because when people saw it they would know that i do actually take the car on track.

post pics of stripped out-ness? The pics in the example have the numbers too big, chrispy's, however, looks sweet!

CLIO PH1 172
as above, wait till you do a track day or event were you actually get a number, then just hang on to it, dont buy a random number as it will mean nothing and look wrong.

Struggler

ClioSport Club Member
  Ph1 track 172
Try it, it's cheap and easy to reverse

This is what i was basing the idea on!! give it a go, if i done like it, pick it off! lol £4/5 wasted! :O

though its true what others have said, putting one on off my own back is abit silly, and i should just wait until i actually get given one for a purpose then leave it on!

perhaps ill wait until my next track day.

if its personal then it matters to you.

IMO only if a car does track work or a special occasion (lemans) should one carry a number..

DSC_0145.jpg

Personally i have thought about getting one.

So my opinion is get one put it on and if you don't like it take it off again.

Clio 1.2 16v
to be honest this car dosent even look race worthy, just put a FDM YO sticker on the window like me lol :|

Struggler

ClioSport Club Member
  Ph1 track 172
please read the OP,
thats not my car!

IMG_0104.jpg

This is my barge!

well it was, its had a few more mods since then!

Stripped yozza'd cup
To be fair, if you've got a cage etc... And it looks like it spends time on track then it may look ok. But as said, it needs to have some meaning.

There's a fiesta st round the corner from me, it's very nicely modified, but the dickhead has put a massive name and number with a British flag next to it and it looks TERRIBLE. I mean I can't express with words how s**t it looks.

LCR 225
Its my blue clio at thr start of this thread an its up to you mate like its been said it is cheap to do an easy to undo if you don't like it. i've got alot of stick off the peolpe off here for how my car looks but i don't care as i wanted to do something alittle different an i have got racing seats i would get back in to rallying but when your a chef working 70hrs a week an try to save an plan a wedding in poland your hobbies take a back seat so people can say what they like about my car!

Jason_E

ClioSport Club Member
  Elise, 530d
Its my blue clio at thr start of this thread an its up to you mate like its been said it is cheap to do an easy to undo if you don't like it. i've got alot of stick off the peolpe off here for how my car looks but i don't care as i wanted to do something alittle different an i have got racing seats i would get back in to rallying but when your a chef working 70hrs a week an try to save an plan a wedding in poland your hobbies take a back seat so people can say what they like about my car!

Was it you I saw in Bicester a while back? LOL

Listerine & Poledo
do you compete in any championships?

no?

then you dont need a number and would just be a phoney

a big fat phoney!