ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

R888's the wrong way

Evo
Lol personally cant see it being a problem, its the treadless part that grips the road and thats not directional...

In the wet would be a different story.

Jamie86

ClioSport Club Member
  RS175,595,205gti,172
Lol personally cant see it being a problem, its the treadless part that grips the road and thats not directional...

In the wet would be a different story.

So yours aren't like this then?

r888.jpg

Evo
Yes mine are very much like this, but on the assumption its for track use and he's burned out a shoulder IMO i dont see any dangerous problem from running it backwards IN THE DRY.

The purpose of the physical tread lines is to dispel water to prevent aquaplaining, the rest of the tyre IE the smooth black stuff is what grips a dry road and the rules of physics for grip between rubber and road works in both directions.

Never seen slicks with a direction of rotation... :nono:

For dry use on track they will be fine. My dad did a 15 minute race on ao48's with backwards tread and it was fine. No damage to the tyre and just as much grip as you would have normally.

Clio Trophy 463
I have raced on a set of A048r's the wrong way round before. Absolutely fine in the dry. And to be honest they had more grip for the first couple of laps. Wouldn't want to risk it If there was any chance of rain though! Getting back to pits even after a sprinkle could be exciting.

BoatNonce

ClioSport Club Member
Yes mine are very much like this, but on the assumption its for track use and he's burned out a shoulder IMO i dont see any dangerous problem from running it backwards IN THE DRY.

The purpose of the physical tread lines is to dispel water to prevent aquaplaining, the rest of the tyre IE the smooth black stuff is what grips a dry road and the rules of physics for grip between rubber and road works in both directions.

Never seen slicks with a direction of rotation... :nono:

This.

Jamie86

ClioSport Club Member
  RS175,595,205gti,172
If they are that bad then run them as slick the right way round instead is the same diffrence if it's dry then surely?

Evo
If they are that bad then run them as slick the right way round instead is the same diffrence if it's dry then surely?

But you'll hit the cord on one side whilst 3/4s of the tyres is perfectly usable. Easily double its remaining life by switching the shoulders round.

Or maybe just get his tracking looked at lol :p

they will be fine to run backwards ....... we have even run 048's like that on purpose , and saw different tyre temps ..... plus when racing it messes with peoples heads .

not if wet though .

Audi A5
If it's for one edge being worn, just get them swapped over from left to right.

+1.

i thought this as soon as I saw the title. Why mess around with changing the direction when their rotational!? Probably don't matter if their run the wrong way in the dry but you have to take them off anyway to change them around backwards. Plus if you did run them backwards and it starts raining....

+1.

i thought this as soon as I saw the title. Why mess around with changing the direction when their rotational!? Probably don't matter if their run the wrong way in the dry but you have to take them off anyway to change them around backwards. Plus if you did run them backwards and it starts raining....

They work better than you think backwards in the wet

Lionel Richie
avon track tyres on the catherhams work better backwards bizzarley, causes all manner of moaning from the competition though LOL!

182cup & 172 racecar
avon track tyres on the catherhams work better backwards bizzarley, causes all manner of moaning from the competition though LOL!

This, all the sevens, catherhams etc run the fronts backwards, in the dry of course. I questioned it at a meeting once, and the guy said, better grip.

reason being they are light on the fronts and intial turn in is compromised in early laps ...... they generate more heat running backwards so it gives them more grip quick