ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

R888 - Mileage?

Hi guys,

Looking at getting some R888's to replace my heavily worn 595RSR's.
Having found them for a half decent price in 15" I'm considering getting a set but my worry is that they aren't going to last too long being used as a daily.

My plan was to get some decent track orientated tyres and then if a track day pops up I don't need to worry about having T1R's spoiling my day!
I average approx. 12k a year, so if 10k was possible then I'd be pretty happy.

Thanks

Fletcher

ClioSport Club Member
I don't think you would get anywhere near 10k out of the fronts. I tend to run R888 all the time once the weather warms up (on my track car/ toy)

R888 only have 4mm odd tread brand new.

I had a set on my trophy and was about 3k before they were close to the wear bars after a few track days.

Wasted on a daily.

Buy a spare set of wheels for track use, fit the R888s to those wheel and swap over/chuck in the boot to change at your track day.

I just think it's a bit silly to run them daily, book a track day 7,000 miles down the road, attend the day and finish them to then think how you are going to potentially risk having to drive home/to work the next morning with illegal tyres.

leeds_182

North Yorkshire & Humber
ClioSport Area Rep
I thought you had your £12 each track wheels?

Stick some ns2r's on. They're so cheap it doesn't matter if you burn them out.

I wouldn't bother with R888's as a daily tyre.

Get some AD08R's, they're the best of both worlds for road and track in my opinion.

This.

AD08R's offer 90% of the performance of 888's but will last a lot longer, they are also better in standing water.

charltjr

ClioSport Club Member
AD08R is what I'd do too if I could only run one set of wheels on a 182, they're a good compromise tyre. They're not as outright grippy on track as the 888 but they're not far off and they're much better for road use in dodgy weather.

The NS2-R's are apparently in the same ballpark if they're the track compound but if it's the street compound they're definitely not as grippy - good feedback though and they're consistent.

15MAS

ClioSport Club Member
  Ph1 172 & 911 turbo
My R888 have done just two track days and no longer look legal, I think wear rate is sensitive to ambient temperature and tyre pressures
image.jpeg
Bought a second set of wheels with winter tyres to use on the road, probably all year round as I save hard driving for the track. I do like the look of stock road cars running R888s, look purposeful.