ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Quite Bad scratches - advice

CLIO 1.2 16V MK2 EXPR
Hi all,

the standard wiperblades have cut into the windscreen and has left a horrible 'frame' around it. at first i thought it was just the rubber but on closer inspection realised that the windscreen is actually scratched!!! :(

is there anything i can do to remove them?

have done a quick search with no luck...

pwease help...

Ph1 172 + Combo van
depends how deep the scratched are you can get some glass polish and try that. glass is generally hard to repair because it is so hard so if you want to get rid of them the best way is a new windscreen.
you might have windscreen cover on your insurance? but i think that only works if you get hit by a stone.

172cup
^ as above. you can buy scratch repair for glass (glass isn't a solid btw, it flows)

If you have fully comp, you pay your £60 excess and you get a new screen. Regardless of how it occurred. Just hit it with a hamer 2 mins before autoglass turn up :)

Ph1 172 + Combo van
i was going to say that just lob a stone at it an the insurance will pay for a new screen with some insurance companies it doesn't count as a claim and you dont have to pay anything. i think autoglass charge £60-£70 i think?

I've got the same, an arc where I picked up a stone with the wiper.

Going to leave it until I sell it and claim for a new screen.

MG ZR
Had the same thing happen on mine when the wiperblade went, is quite scratched but not really much you can do apart from new windscreen.

BMW 320d SE
Sorry for the thread resurrection, but I have a similar issue with my windscreen.
It's the original Renault item and its done over 67000 miles. The wiper blades have left a mark on the windscreen in the swept area. However, that's not my main concern.
In the swept area, towards the top half of the window, when it rains, the water just sort of hangs around instead of beading off. If I use Rain-X, it's ok for a bit, but then goes back to how it was. Its hard to explain, but I don't think it's the wiper blades needing changing. It would seem like the windscreen is actually worn :eek:
Is there any fix for this other than changing the windscreen?

106 GTi
Have you tried deep cleaning the screen really well with something like Autoglym Glass Polish ? - you will be surprised how much grime it lifts.

BMW 320d SE
No, I've only ever used windolene-type stuff to clean it. I'll pop down Halfrauds and pick some up and give it a go.

BMW 320d SE
Cheers for the tips peeps. I've tried vinegar on the blades and I clean them everytime I wash the car, but as I've said above, I don't think it's the blades that are the problem. They're the Bosch Aerotwin flat blades and they've only been on 12-18 months or so (they're supposed to last longer than standard blades).
I'm conviced it's a windscreen issue here, so I'll try the AG glass polish and see what happens. Failing that, I suppose it's a new windscreen.

BMW 320d SE
Update:
I popped out and bought some AG Glass Polish, as advised. I gave the screen a good seeing to with the polish, so I just had to wait for the inevitable rainfall to see if it had made a difference.
After polishing, I did notice just how badly scratched and stone-chipped the screen was :eek: This probably explains why the water was filming on the screen so often, making night-time wet weather driving difficult and dangerous.
Anyway, it rained today so I went out for a spin. I can say that I have noticed a marginal difference in the water being swept away, which is nice, but perhaps I was expecting something a little more substantial.
Perhaps the screen will need regular polishing with the AG in order to improve the glass over time, or maybe I'll ultimately need a new screen?