ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Quick engine mount question

Clio 172
I've ordered a group n upper engine mount and powerflex dogbone mount bushes from k-tec and am expecting them hopefully tomorrow at some stage. Plan on fitting them myself, but just want to clear a few things up first..

For the upper engine mount, i loosen the 3 bolts where it connects to the top of the engine, support the engine on a jack, loosen the big bolt in the middle, lift the bit that connects to the engine off, undo the 4 bolts where the mount connects to the chassis, lift the mount off, put the new one on, 4 bolts on torqued to 62NM, bit to connect to engine back on and big bolt torqued to 44NM, 3 bolts connecting mount to engine back in and torqued to 62NM. Is this order right? Anything i'm missing?

For the dogbone mount (inline type), i take the mount off, press the old bushes out, grease the new bushes and push them in, put it back in loosely, loosen the 4 bolts for the upper engine mount and pull the engine forward, torque them back to 62NM, tighten the dogbone bolts to 62NM. Again, is this the correct order? And is there anything missing? Do i need to support the engine or gearbox when doing this?

don't need to support the engine whilst doing the dogbone.

that all sounds about right.

take it you're not doing the other two mounts?

Clio 172
don't need to support the engine whilst doing the dogbone.

that all sounds about right.

take it you're not doing the other two mounts?
not doing the other two just yet, for 3 reasons;

1. I've heard the upper engine mount and dogbone are usually the main culprits of exhaust banging under heavy acceleration
2. I didn't have the money to buy the group n upper gearbox mount when ordering the other 2
3. I don't have my radio code to reprogram it after removing the battery:eek:

Plan to do the group n upper gearbox mount soon enough tho

One other question, are the powerflex dogbone bushes hard to squeez into the mount itself? Any techniqes that make it easier?

sounds good. i'm 'saving' for the Vibratechnics pair at the mo - hoping they'll be better than the OE ones.

the poly bushes aren't all that difficult to squeeze into the dogbone and come supplied with grease that'll help

Clio 172
sounds good. i'm 'saving' for the Vibratechnics pair at the mo - hoping they'll be better than the OE ones.

the poly bushes aren't all that difficult to squeeze into the dogbone and come supplied with grease that'll help
deadly, cheers for that dude, just wanted to clear them things up:cool:

Octavia vRS tfsi
Take the 3 bolts that hold the bracket to the engine out first, then the 4 that hold the mount to the chassis. You can lift it off then and worry about the smaller inner one then.

Clio 172
Take the 3 bolts that hold the bracket to the engine out first, then the 4 that hold the mount to the chassis. You can lift it off then and worry about the smaller inner one then.
nice one ian, goodies should be here tomoro:cool:

rps13
gearbox mount (lower mount) was the one that was causing my problems, if the top one's not snapped then it wont really need replacing.

the arbor which attaches the upper gearbox mount could be loose mate, check that whilst you have the engine jacked up it will make your life a hell of alot easier, It's quite easy for this to come loose.

davo172

ClioSport Club Member
  TCR'd 172
The vibrations in the car on tickover will shake your fillings out mate !!