ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Question around personalised plates

SG 200
Hi all,

Quick one that may have been asked and answered before, but I couldn't find anything

So I have just ordered a personalised plate from the DVLA. Am now looking into getting them made up but the DVLA website says that I need to provide documents to the company manufacturing the plates to prove ownership. This makes sense to me as otherwise you can just make plates you don't own.

I see a lot of you recommending Fancy Plates (and we do get a discount) but they don't ask for proof of ownership of the plate. So my question really is, is this legit? It's contrary to what the DVLA says is required so I guess I thought it prudent to check with you guys before I order.

Cheers!

clio 182 sport
when I recently got my private plate from dvla I just went to a motor factors and got them done but had to show log book... but you don't have to when ordering on a plate website; )

SG 200
Ok - thanks guys!

Last question - how do I get the discount on fancy plates? The discount section of these forums says "section on the website" but i can't find a section.

Cheers!

Chambers_RS

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 172 Cup&Leon K1
If you don't have to provide the correct paper work there be sold as 'show plates' so they'll probably be missing the small number in the bottom right hand corner that plates need by law. Any motor factor will require the paper as its a heavy fine to the person who makes the plate and the company will lose their licence to make the plates.

I used to make number plates and had to fill quite a big form in with customers signature. But now just order them off eBay with out any paper and did recently get pulled and fined for the plate lol

SG 200
If you don't have to provide the correct paper work there be sold as 'show plates' so they'll probably be missing the small number in the bottom right hand corner that plates need by law. Any motor factor will require the paper as its a heavy fine to the person who makes the plate and the company will lose their licence to make the plates.

I used to make number plates and had to fill quite a big form in with customers signature. But now just order them off eBay with out any paper and did recently get pulled and fined for the plate lol
Ah ok so by the sounds of it Fancy Plates aren't legit? Checked their website and there's no talk about them carrying the number in the bottom corner.

Anyone who's used them know if they carry the number required?

Chrisgti6

ClioSport Club Member
  MR2,TT V6,Swift,Mini
On there site you can choose 'Standard UK plates' and in the t's & c's they state '
Number plates ordered from our Standard UK Plates section are manufactured to BS AU 145d standard and comply with UK legislation'

You'll be fine with them as long as you choose the std plates.

imprezaworks

ClioSport Club Member
  Mk5 Golf GTI :)
what chris said. I ordered some plates from them but chose to design my own. Not strictly road legal

BMW 320d SE

I've ordered several off eBay from different sellers without any paperwork and they have all been 100% legal with both the BS mark bottom right and the manufacturer's postcode bottom centre.

Clio 182
I used Fancey plates as I got smaller plates, no numbers at the bottom at all. Looks much smarter but not legal. Never been pulled tho. Win!

LeeRS

ClioSport Club Member
You have to be very unlucky to be pulled for plates without the little numbers on. I have seen people drive round with plates with no numbers in at all. Some even with random words/names on with no relevance to the car.

Chrisgti6

ClioSport Club Member
  MR2,TT V6,Swift,Mini
You have to be very unlucky to be pulled for plates without the little numbers on. I have seen people drive round with plates with no numbers in at all. Some even with random words/names on with no relevance to the car.

It's more about when it comes to MOT time that it becomes an issue.

LeeRS

ClioSport Club Member
Yeah, i guess so.
Ive had 3/4 plates on mine for a while and had no issues. I just stick my original plate over the front for mots.