ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Question about ITBs and the rain.

Might be a bit of a silly question but.

When it's absolutely pissing down with rain, and your driving along. Surely some water reaches in the grill and soaks the ITB filter..

What stops it getting soaked and then water getting into the engine?

It obviously isn't a big deal otherwise I would have read about it before, I'm just interested.

Heard so many comments about not having your air filter low down in the bay so it doesn't get wet. Implying that's a bad thing but then surely this is the same.

Talk to me and feeeeed my small brain.

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
Small amount of water is not a problem anyway, in fact if anything in very small quantities its a good thing.

Only time water is a problem is if your engine ingests a lot of it in one cycle.

p.s
Dont forget at 4000rpm on cruise on the motorway, your engine is turning over almost 70 times a second, and even at part throttle its a good couple of hundred CC of air every time it does, ie many litres of air per second, so the water is going to be a very small amount by comparison.

Makes sense, I guess it's a very small amount and would probably evaporate quickly anyway.

Just had images in my head of a proper soaking filter just dripping away lol

SharkyUK

ClioSport Club Member
Rain and ITB's are not a problem. I live in Wales, it's always p***ing down, I have ITB's and I also ran no filter (well, I did run a filter of death but it was so poor I may as well have been running no filter). Result? No problems whatsoever. My engine ingested more foam and filter than it did water. :)

It's not a problem - the foam filter is coated with oil and the water just runs off

You just need to clean the filter and re-oil as part of your yearly service

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
It's not a problem - the foam filter is coated with oil and the water just runs off

You just need to clean the filter and re-oil as part of your yearly service

The oil wont totally stop water coming through, its not on thick enough, its more there for catching very small dust particles.