ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Put the engine back in my 172 and it won't run!

Clio 172
As thread title really. No spark, coil gets its 12v supply briefly when ignition turned on but nothing thereafter. Pulled and cleaned all the fuses and relays, resistance on crank sensor is 230 ohms so in spec. Possibly biggest clue is the electronic warning light (waveform) and ESP lights are no longer coming on with the ignition, making me suspect an ecu live or earth is missing but all the earths have been refitted. No fault codes present but live data with my cheap Autel scanner just shows engine RPM at 190 regardless of actual speed, very unusual for a CKP fault to do that, stuck at 0 I could see.

Only change the the loom is the pre cat lambda plug was damaged on removal so I had to fit a new plug, couldn't work out which wires went where so did a search and followed the colours suggested in a thread on here. If I got this wrong might I have damaged the ECU sending lambda heater current down and back the signal wire?

Can't find any wiring diagrams to pin check the ecu for lives and earths, any suggestions where I could find any or towards my fault would be greatly appreciated.

monaco 172
Might not be helpful but if the engines been out have you made sure the earth strap has been put back on?

PH2 172
LASH UP EARTH 1.jpg
LASH UP EARTH 2.jpg
earth on the top of the box first port of call.
A lashed up earth or a jump lead from battery negative to engine will confirm a poor earth.
@Brendan2234

Clio 172
Battery negative that bolts behind the headlight, braided strap from chassis rail to gearbox and the ECU earth to the box above the drive shaft have all been replaced. Even though they all looked fine I might remove and clean them all to rule them out next. Going to check for injector pulse too to establish if I've just got no spark or no fuel either, rail is pressuring nicely though. Will keep you updated!

Clio 172
All the fuses are good, white connector on the inner wing is clean and tight as is the earth there. There was a bit of corrosion on some of the relay pins but I've cleaned that up.

Clio 172
Quick update, found the fault after pulling all the loom apart and checking all the ECU earths to no avail. Injectors weren't being opened either so looked closer at the crank sensor, it tested fine and the wiring was fine when it was unplugged, but when plugged back in one of the female contacts inside the plug was sliding out so it looked fine but was barely making any contact, so was giving me a rpm reading of < 200 and not logging any DTCS. What threw me and made me start off with ecu earths is the waveform light not coming on with the ignition, this still hasn't illuminated the whole time despite the car running fine. Does this light come on for everyone else? Or will it only illuminate if I've got a fault?