ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Pure Motorsport strut brace and KTEC solid top mounts

Now Sold :-(
I see no reason why they couldn't be made to work together with minor modification.
A slightly longer set of bolts to account for the thickness of the strut brace mounting plate shouldn't be difficult to source. Only issue then may be enlarging/elongating the holes so they match the Ktec spacing on the top mounts. They may even match already.

MicKPM

ClioSport Trader
  Clio16v/Zoe Z.E.50
I just don't underatand why you'd want to do this when Pure sell the topmounts and strut brace as a kit already and it works without the need for any machining or modifying.

Granted you may already have the K-Tec top mounts but you can sell those on for good money rather than go thru with trying to adapt a PMS strut brace to work with them.

Your decision though

Yep I already have the ktec ones, just wondered if they would slot in between the two parts.

I am going to purchase the set up complete and sell the ktec ones, but was checking if they would fit first to keep costs down.

P.s I dont want to start cutting and filing, if they don't fit they dont fit.

Cheers guys

MicKPM

ClioSport Trader
  Clio16v/Zoe Z.E.50
That's what I'd do myself at least - buy the kit and know it will fit and work (which it does as I have one myself)

Having never seen the KTR setup I'm sure you could modify a PMS brace to fit as above but to me its a case of spending pounds to save pennies.

Yea thats what i was thinking. Just wanted to make sure anyone had done it before buying full kit.

The KTR kit is actually very good had no problems with it. Just want a more rigid strut brace as opposed to the OEM bolt to turret type i am currently using.

MicKPM

ClioSport Trader
  Clio16v/Zoe Z.E.50
Yeah the bolt to strut top things offer little to no actual bracing effect where as the PMS braces between the actual strut tops making it all extremely rigid.

I never felt any real difference in my car with them until I started playing with on/off camber surfaces and that's when you notice its there.

DON'T SEND ME PM'S!!
the trouble you're going to encounter is where have the holes been drilled on the current mounts?
The way the pms brace is designed, you have to fit it at the same time as the mounts, or not at all, or you'll be drilling more holes when you do come to fit the brace. Same could be said of the KTR mounts (I believe a brace was in the pipeline a while back but probably on hold)
If the brace will fit to the mounts depends what the PCD of the holes is.
I actually think the PMS mounts are significantly inferior being made of steel rather than aluminium, and I've seen a couple of sets now that the bearings have had a lot of play after next to no miles.

Yep totally agree regarding the PDC of the current holes, I drilled them by eye so I reckon their spot on...NOT.

Interesting about the mounts, I do think the KTR ones are well put together...so what do you recommend for a good strut brace? I already have the OMP one

DON'T SEND ME PM'S!!
I genuinely don't have anything to recommend as far as a strut brace goes. The PMS one is quite nice. I do think that with the solid mounts, the OMP one will be doing a lot more than it would with OE mounts, probably to the point you wouldn't notice any difference with changing to a type that bolted to the mount rather than the body.

Clio182
I actually think the PMS mounts are significantly inferior being made of steel rather than aluminium, and I've seen a couple of sets now that the bearings have had a lot of play after next to no miles.

How can I tell I'm having this issue? After my first track day on these, my top mounts (i think) are making all kinds of noises.

Now Sold :-(
How can I tell I'm having this issue? After my first track day on these, my top mounts (i think) are making all kinds of noises.

Get the front of the car off the ground and check for play by lifting the wheel/tyre up and down. You will quickly see if there is play in the bearing as the top nut and damper shaft will move up and down with a nice metallic knock while the mount stays still. It only needs slight play in the bearing to get all sorts of noise through the car.