ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

pure motorsport engine mounts

Fletcher

ClioSport Club Member
I have been looking at getting some of these too as my current standard engine mounts need replacing, just worried how 'harsh' they would be? My 172 is a weekend toy/ track car, but I still do quite a few road miles 'Ring trips etc in it.

2xmk2 1.2 grande
They're very harsh. Certainly not recommended for road use.

what do you mean by harsh ,gear change, vibrations ect. just need it to be drivable to trackdays its not my daily driver,
they just seem a much better design vs. o.e setup

late 2003 172cup
I personally think more strain is going on vital parts elsewhere, you need some flex. But that's just my take on it tho.
Are these mounts made for cars that are rebuild every race/few races?

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
I personally think more strain is going on vital parts elsewhere, you need some flex. But that's just my take on it tho.
Are these mounts made for cars that are rebuild every race/few races?

I am aware of plenty of anecdotal evidence that suggest that gearbox failures etc are accelerated by an engine not being able to move, although on the other hand things like exhausts cracking will probably happen less with less movement, so its a bit of a mixed bag.

Certainly look really cool though :)

Trophy Turbo :)
I'm selling a set for a 182 if any one wants a set they have done around 150 miles and them we fitted a vag box to the car so decided to sell this as a kit

XC90, 330d, Trophy’s
I'm also running these mounts, although I cannot comment on what they feel like in use... As yet.

XC90, 330d, Trophy’s
After a rough beginning/mid part of the year the trophy took a back seat but slowly coming back together again, it's been a long time coming :(

Banana man is helping to project manage the cause ;)

EVOgone

ClioSport Club Member
  Pink Cup Racer
I am aware of plenty of anecdotal evidence that suggest that gearbox failures etc are accelerated by an engine not being able to move, although on the other hand things like exhausts cracking will probably happen less with less movement, so its a bit of a mixed bag.

Certainly look really cool though :)

Quite the opposite from running competition clios for some time. Having the engine and box solid/ridgidly mounted limits the time the gearbox doesnt quite select a gear cleanly in hard use and accelerates syncro wear and potential gear damage. This is backed up by increase lonegevity when i did this to both cars i have. Not great for the road but then again there not road parts.

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
Quite the opposite from running competition clios for some time. Having the engine and box solid/ridgidly mounted limits the time the gearbox doesnt quite select a gear cleanly in hard use and accelerates syncro wear and potential gear damage. This is backed up by increase lonegevity when i did this to both cars i have. Not great for the road but then again there not road parts.

Yes its very use dependant, the biggest place that solid mounts cause excess strain on the drive train is initial pull away, and obviously rally cars dont do a lot of that like say a drag car does or even a chav who loves giving it beans from the traffic lights, as once you boys are moving you dont stop again for the whole stage unless something goes wrong.

EVOgone

ClioSport Club Member
  Pink Cup Racer
Yes its very use dependant, the biggest place that solid mounts cause excess strain on the drive train is initial pull away, and obviously rally cars dont do a lot of that like say a drag car does or even a chav who loves giving it beans from the traffic lights, as once you boys are moving you dont stop again for the whole stage unless something goes wrong.

Rally cars do full bore start at the begining of each stage.....plus its changing from 1st to 2nd that get most hammer. Dont under estimate gearbox movement under breaking and comming down the gear. Overall solid mounts will incres gearbox longagevity especially on comp cars.

Fletcher

ClioSport Club Member
After a rough beginning/mid part of the year the trophy took a back seat but slowly coming back together again, it's been a long time coming :(

Banana man is helping to project manage the cause ;)

Glad to hear the trophy coming along again mate :)

So these mounts would be a nightmare on a car that goes to and from the 'Ring, or other long journeys?