ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Pure Motorsport beam strengthening kit

Ph1 Tom

ClioSport Club Member
I'm getting some AST coilovers soon and with the rear being a full coilover I was considering getting the PMS rear beam kit.

The questions I have are:-

Is it worth it?
Do I need it?

I use the car on track and I'm looking to start competing next year, I won't be racing but I'm going to start hillclimbs and sprints if I can.

Cheers :)

dan's cast offs.
Looking at the beam I'd say yes, especially for a track car. I'm getting the kit for mine and its pretty much a road car. Used the plates they do for the front arms as well the other week, wouldn't like to say for sure if there is much difference though as I changed arb bushes as well.

NorthloopCup

ClioSport Moderator
The pms beam strengthening kit works better than a whiteline arb mate. It also means you can get away with running a slightly softer spring setup at the rear. It helps to stop ludicrous geometry changes when the rears under load as well.
I've not got it fitted on my car, but I intend on doing.

Looking at the beam I'd say yes, especially for a track car. I'm getting the kit for mine and its pretty much a road car. Used the plates they do for the front arms as well the other week, wouldn't like to say for sure if there is much difference though as I changed arb bushes as well.

I personally wouldn't suggest fitting the front wishbone kit. It's a designed fail point in a crash, and in a crash with that fitted instead of it being a wishbone and subframe, it'll end up being a shell.

The cup racers ran full slicks and stock wishbones...

mikekean

ClioSport Club Member
  996 C4S, 135i, E30x2
As Dan says wishbone kit is a waste of time, more often than not the standard wishbone takes the sub frame with it when It bends. Its worth while double skinning the underside of the sub frame and stich welding. That way the wishbone will bend like its meant to and in a bad crash the sub frame should still bend.

photo.jpg

Carbonraider

ClioSport Club Member
  Raider, 172, the van
I personally wouldn't suggest fitting the front wishbone kit. It's a designed fail point in a crash, and in a crash with that fitted instead of it being a wishbone and subframe, it'll end up being a shell.

The cup racer runs with a harder/solid insert and also different caster angle.

Cup In bits
^^ Other than the doubler plates where the ball joints bolt to.

Tom at the very least I would box in the rear lower shock mount point as it now has the full weight of the car hanging on a bolt rather than just the shocker.

dan's cast offs.

that'll be why i thought it didn't look to strong. on the other hand i don't crash so fingers crossed.

Carbonraider

ClioSport Club Member
  Raider, 172, the van
He just asked if it would fit. But yes, the one on the race car has the thicker torsion bar.

Yes I understand that tony but the 182 cup road car has a different beam as that's what I have on mine it has additional stiffener brackets and has the thicker torsion bar.

Carbonraider

ClioSport Club Member
  Raider, 172, the van
That's the one I've got, and the strengthening kit as well.

Yeah I can't complain really it's a great setup I also have there bearing kit fitted too, really tightens up the back end.

Although after seeing the comments about the wishbone kit I might change my mind as that is what I have to.

182cup & 172 racecar
I was advised against fitting the bearing kit along with the strengthening kit, as this led to no give at all. Any contact, and something would bend.

Carbonraider

ClioSport Club Member
  Raider, 172, the van
Hmmm I think il remove the strengthening plate but keep the bearings. Will also modify the subframe so there isn't to much strain on the original mounting points. Cup racer subframes don't come round to often :/

pure-motorsport

ClioSport Trader
  Clio 172
Prime example of what wouldn't happen if you fitted that strengthening kit (to the wishbones)

null_zps6dcc7721.jpg
What? The hub wouldn't snap?!!!
The front subframe and wishbones are weak, so for any competition use the stiffer you can make them the better. If you hit a wheel hard enough to bend a wishbone, you've probably bent the subframe whether the stiffening plates are there or not.