ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Pure motorsport air con delete waste of time

Status
Not open for further replies.
  Evo
Just had the joys of trying to fit the air con delete to the 172. Looks like a fantastic piece of kit out the bag, machined and powder coated alloy always scores high with me, but then again I did hand over £320 for the honour.

Found the instructions online were clear and easy to follow, a few things they didn't mention but no problem for the DIY mechanic.

Now the problem I have is the belt is literally about half an inch too short to fit the kit. Checked routing of the belt and kit setup against the misses 182 who's running the same kit and everything is identical. No matter how hard I push, pull and lever the belt it simply will not fit over the last pulley ( take your pick, instructions state alternator but none of them will do ). Considering theres so much adjustment scope in the alternator bracket this has no reason to be so small in the first place. The alternator bashes up against the mount stopping any further inwards motion of the pulley so I dont know if I have the wrong belt but its not going on and I'm stranded out of the weekend with no motor, thanks Pure Motorspor. Back to the drawing board perhaps?

And one last thing, don't make such a big deal out of the helpline in the instructions if you never pick up the bloody phone!

Rant over.

Not really likely to pick up the phone on a Saturday afternoon - small garage in Cornwall. The lad is VERY helpful when he's working

Sounds like you got the wrong belt - easiest solution would just be to go to a motor factors in the morning and pick up a belt that's the right size. I'm sure Pure Motorsport would refund you the cost of it

Daniel

ClioSport Moderator
  Whichever has fuel
Just go down halfords and get a belt?

You needn't be without a car for the sake of a belt.

JoshOm3

ClioSport Club Member
  Cup'182/Rs2'd Trophy
Don't use a motor factor belt. Their too short. I used one and it was only a mm or two out but it was enough too not fit.

Genuine belt only. IMO.

Evo
Genuine belt won't do the job, all the lighter pulleys are half the width of original and the routing of the belt is much shorter than original.

Does anyone have a part number for a belt that will fit?

Looking at it closer it appears the new alternator pulley is wider than the original, probably fit otherwise.

S4 Avant
Getting aux belts back on is pain in the arse, even if you have got the right belt! Have you tried taking the top bolt out for the alternator and moving it about? I find it goes on a lot easier by moving the alternator, then levering it back into position once the belt is around everything.

Clio 172
I'd speak to the company before posting a rant on the internet about how crap the kit is. I'm sure there is an easy solution to the problem and they will be able to assist you and then you'll be 'oh they were amazing, I f**ked up and they pointed out where I went wrong' etc etc.

Evo
There's not a number on vickys belt. I'm sure it's not me who has fucked up, I have another 182 running the same kit and both the cars are built and set up identical from a fitting point of view.

If I take the alternator completely off, fit the belt and then lever it back into position I get it on but it's piano string tight on the lowest setting, not happy to start the car like that.

I'd speak to the company before posting a rant on the internet about how crap the kit is. I'm sure there is an easy solution to the problem and they will be able to assist you and then you'll be 'oh they were amazing, I f**ked up and they pointed out where I went wrong' etc etc.

+1

Daniel

ClioSport Moderator
  Whichever has fuel
Surely just run a bit of string round it, measure that, go to halfords and get a belt suitable?

You could have had the car running yesterday and then spoke to Nick on monday about it.

Jamie86

ClioSport Club Member
  RS175,595,205gti,172
I can see Ben's point tbh i'd be pretty p!ssed spending that much and getting the wrong belt, unfortunately though like has been mentioned its the weekend most companies have time off..

Clio172cup rally car
I've never had a problem getting hold of nick, and I'm constantly on the phone to him as they are currently making adjustable wishbones for me,
If he didn't answer then I'm sure there is a genuine reason why!

Clio T 314hp c43 AMG
An after market belt will be fine what do people class as a genuine belt? Renault? It's a conti-tech belt made by continental, as Daniel said piece of string around the pulleys, or go by the measurement on the belt you have and add 10-15mm

pure-motorsport

ClioSport Trader
  Clio 172
We are open now so give us a ring to sort it out - we are very helpful and will help you find a solution to the problem.
The belt we have supplied should be a 4pk 1295. If it is too tight to get on then either try slackening the PAS pump mounting bolts and moving the PAS pump (this is the only adjustment available) , you could try removing the altenator, fit the belt then refit the alternator or if all else fails we can send you another belt as maybe the belt is a little out of tolerance.
You may want to re-consider the views you have expressed on here as you haven't even given us a chance to help you yet.

Evo 5 RS
As above I'd just remove the alternator, although wouldn't be the first instance of a bad batch of belts.

Calm down Jimmy!

pure-motorsport

ClioSport Trader
  Clio 172
And one last thing, don't make such a big deal out of the helpline in the instructions if you never pick up the bloody phone!

Rant over.

1. We are shut at the weekend.
2. If we don't answer, leave a message. 'Simples' as the meerkat says :)

imprezaworks

ClioSport Club Member
  Mk5 Golf GTI :)
Ive used you guys before to buy the top mounts you sell. Would 100% recommed and use you guys again.

Evo
Just for those who think im intentionally bullshitting just to bring pure motorsport into disrepute this is a pic of how short the belt is next to the PS pulley with the alternator butted right up against the block:
aircontootight.jpg

Thanks.

Corsa Van. Meh.
So ignoring all the crap in between...have you actually rang them to discus the problem?

Evo
Fair point made Hugo, no I haven't.

As it stands the belt seems to be at a tension I'm happy won't damage any aux component bearings as it stands and is only currently slipping at full lock, which i can more than live with. It does whine a bit at higher rpm but I'm guessing it's just a characterisitc of the kit. I have the conti belt part No. I may try another belt and see if its any nicer of a fit.

Don't get me wrong I was well impressed with the purchase when it arrived, some very nice machining work has gone into these items and i also appreciated the fact they supply new cam end caps and the revised alternator bracket is worlds apart from the original tie rod setup. But my original point remains valid, I don't think it needs to be that snug a fit when there's so much adjustment avaliable, just makes it a pain to fit.

If it starts playing up again I'll make the effort to ring and see if they can offer a solution.

I think the problem here is that the belt is probably the wrong one, or manufactured with tolerances out and too short. But you really should have rang them (and not winged that they couldn't be contacted on a weekend) and let them resolve it

I've dealt with them a few times and they've sent parts out immediately for me. Really friendly and helpful.
If you've got the wrong sized belt whether it's their fault or not they would have been more than happy to send you another if you'd taken 5 minutes to ring them - instead of posting a "waste of time" ranting thread. The kit CLEARLY isn't a waste of time as lots of other people run it without issue.

Evo
I'll ring euro car parts at lunch and order another belt on part no. supplied in topic, thanks for input Phil.

Sir_Dave

ClioSport Trader
I'll ring euro car parts at lunch and order another belt on part no. supplied in topic, thanks for input Phil.

With the greatest of respect, why dont you just call Pure to discuss the issue? They wont bite, & this thread is making you look like a mong. Pure are incredibly well respected outside of the small bubble of retards that is ClioSport, so they will sort your issue out with the minimum of fuss.

Christopher

ClioSport Club Member
  Z4M
With the greatest of respect, why dont you just call Pure to discuss the issue? They wont bite, & this thread is making you look like a mong. Pure are incredibly well respected outside of the small bubble of retards that is ClioSport, so they will sort your issue out with the minimum of fuss.

And there we have it. It's not hard. They're a reputable company, albeit a small one. They'll sort you out.

Status
Not open for further replies.