ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Punctures on Alloy Wheels

clio/fireblade
has anyone been told that thier punctures cannot be repaired because the alloy wheel is no good? if so can they be repaired? is there anything i can do?

thanks in advance

Don

182 & LY Clio 220 ed
I don't get what you mean? The normal reason for a puncture not being repaired is because the damage is on the sidewalls...whether they mean that the rims are so poor where they meet the tyre that they can't do it, I don't know.

Do you have a picture of the rim (so we can see what they are talking about)?

clio/fireblade
i had two really slow punctures so i thought whilst i was at it i may aswell get new tyres; local garage supplied and fitted via blackcircles, the next day both flat!!! took it back to the garage today and he tried 3 times to seal the tyre and then said that my alloys are no good??

Don

182 & LY Clio 220 ed
Were the old tyres okay with the same wheels (for holding their air pressures)?

TheEvilGiraffe

South East - Essex
ClioSport Area Rep
Are the wheels straight ? intact ? kurbed ? corroded ?!

Put some pics up.

Also, pump it up (if you can?) and then put it in a bath of water and you'll see where the leak's coming from. It might be the wheel's leading edge where the tyre sits, or it might be the valve.

However, if you've had 2 sets of tyres and the same problem ensues, then logic dictates the wheels are the common denominator, surely...?

Don

182 & LY Clio 220 ed
Are the wheels straight ? intact ? kurbed ? corroded ?!

Put some pics up.

Also, pump it up (if you can?) and then put it in a bath of water and you'll see where the leak's coming from. It might be the wheel's leading edge where the tyre sits, or it might be the valve.

However, if you've had 2 sets of tyres and the same problem ensues, then logic dictates the wheels are the common denominator, surely...?

That is why I've asked if he had the issue before he purchased the new tyres...

clio/fireblade
Yeh, the guy showed the mrs where the air was comming from, just never seen it before and wondered if it can be repaired, no visable dinks but ill get some photos up by tmr, i ve got the spare(steel) and another steel rim going on tmr, booo!

Don

182 & LY Clio 220 ed
Yeh, the guy showed the mrs where the air was comming from, just never seen it before and wondered if it can be repaired, no visable dinks but ill get some photos up by tmr, i ve got the spare(steel) and another steel rim going on tmr, booo!

I'm sure if there is an escape of air somewhere...then a decent wheel refurbisher will be able to give you a good judgement on whether the wheel is worth repairing/replacing. Least then, you will know if it is worth spending the money on refurb or replacement.

clio/fireblade
ok,

the wheels are now off and it seems that the problem was the paint, it was bubbling from the inside of the rim to the outside of the rim! the air was escaping through the linked bubbles lol.

should be an easy refurb/ repair.

thanks for the advice guys

Don

182 & LY Clio 220 ed
ok,

the wheels are now off and it seems that the problem was the paint, it was bubbling from the inside of the rim to the outside of the rim! the air was escaping through the linked bubbles lol.

should be an easy refurb/ repair.

thanks for the advice guys

That is good to hear. I would go for powder coating as it will make a thicker coat/layer...I've just had my Turinis done and they look so nice in Powercoat. :approve:

Clio RS 172 /Trafic
I've had porous alloys before on a Citroen my wife had. Every time I had new tyres fitted I had to get the inner edges cleaned so that the tyre would seal properly. If your rims are old then they probably need refurbishing.

BG182ff,explod Focus
That is good to hear. I would go for powder coating as it will make a thicker coat/layer...I've just had my Turinis done and they look so nice in Powercoat. :approve:

worst "I've just had my bargain Turinis refurbed" thread hijack EVAR ;)

The problem with cast aluminium is that it is porous to compressed air so unless a wheel made from it has a non-porous coating of some description it will always leak. If there is corrosion around the beading area where the tyre seats then even if you wire brush it back to the bare metal there can still be a path for the air to leak through which sounds like what your problem has been.

The good news is, like already said, it only takes a refurb to sort the problem out with the added bonus your wheels will look a lot better :cool: