ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

pulling to the right when wheel is centred?

clio 172 cup
as above i have to hold it at about 11/10 0'clock for it to go in straight line any ideas why it been tracked and strut bearings replaced it did have an omp wheel before i bought and seller fitted standard before i picked it up, are the standard wheels master splined or is it a case of just taking the wheel of a lining it up properly as cant think what would cause it to go to the right so badly

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
tracking not done properly is one option, possibly due to worn rack bushes allowing movement

or some numpty putting one late bottom arm and one early one on (ie to fix crash damage) which throws out the caster.

spin your wheel one way then the other and check the centre point is in the middle of the rack, ie that it turns the same number of turns from central in both directions.

clio 172 cup
had the tracking done after i fitting bearings on some new fancy machine with a print out ect so i know that cant be the problem

worn bushes could be it it did have slight play in the rack as advisory on the mot how would i go about changing them? is it a pain?

i have a 172 cup if that makes any difference and how would i tell that?

just done that both turn about 1 1/2 rotations nothing majorly different in either direction

sorry for all the questions but looking to sell her and this is the only real issue but major one as people would suspect accident damage ect which isnt the case

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
had the tracking done after i fitting bearings on some new fancy machine with a print out ect so i know that cant be the problem

Can you post the results?

worn bushes could be it it did have slight play in the rack as advisory on the mot how would i go about changing them? is it a pain?

Play in rack is different to play in rack bushes, both are a pain, rack is worse!

i have a 172 cup if that makes any difference and how would i tell that?
From the printout, or a visual inspection of the arms to see the angle of the bottom ball joints.

just done that both turn about 1 1/2 rotations nothing majorly different in either direction
sounds promising but it really does need to be VERY close to central, so make sure you are dismissin say 15 degress difference as "nothing major"

sorry for all the questions but looking to sell her and this is the only real issue but major one as people would suspect accident damage ect which isnt the case

You sound like a top seller!

Having a fancy print-out showing your tracking is right doesn't mean they didn't track it with the wheel non-centered

Had that a few times, they lock the steering wheel to stop it moving but don't bother to perfectly center it, then track the whole car with the steering out lol

Also have you checked tyre pressures? One with a slow puncture would cause that

clio 172 cup
Also have you checked tyre pressures
tyre pressure is spot on all round

sounds promising but it really does need to be VERY close to central, so make sure you are dismissin say 15 degress difference as "nothing major"
no im talking under 5 degress literally a 20th turn more when going to the right

Having a fancy print-out showing your tracking is right doesn't mean they didn't track it with the wheel non-centered
it was centred because my friend did it after hours at the garage he works at(basically i stood there and watched him centre it line up all the lasers ect) as he thought that would be it i mean its fractionally better since then but by no means cured it.
printout is more for possible buyer to many people go yea yea had this done that done but nothing to back it up

Play in rack is different to play in rack bushes, both are a pain, rack is worse!

are the bushes an easy fix? i really hope its not the rack as there £200 of the top of my head! :(

its annoying as i thought some tracking and itll be true again im at a loss and starting to get the feeling im going to end up buying a new rack only want £1500 for her as already have new car but hate to sell it with issue as severe as this i wouldnt feel happy for someone to drive of with it like this let alone take them for a test drive

It won't be rack - maybe bushes

If the bushes holding the rack are a bit fecked then the rack will have been off slightly to on side even though the steering wheel is centered.

Does the printout show the rear wheels too?
Any chance of scanning it and uploading it?

clio 172 cup
its got to be bushes weve covered everything else are these readily available?

shows all 4 yes but i left it at the garage after throwing a tantrum it hadnt solved it went and got fish & chips, irn-bru and had a sulk in my car and drove home :mad:

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
Shame as without the printout showing caster and rear tracking relative to front etc, there probably isnt much anyone can really add to this thread now.

Haha

Bushes are readily available but a bit of a pain to fit

Get it on a ramp and try levering the steering rack left and right with a bar - you should be able to see if the bushes are fecked
It could be the inner tie rods as that also feels like play in the rack to someone who's just swinging on the wheels

What mileage has it done?

Shame as without the printout showing caster and rear tracking relative to front etc, there probably isnt much anyone can really add to this thread now.

Aye - the issue could be one of the rear wheels has had a bit of a prang with a kerb and it's actually a bent beam that's knocking it out.
It's pretty much impossible to tell

clio 172 cup
cars on 97k had the track rod ends and ball joints done, could look into the inner rods as he had a wiggle of the wheel and said possible rack.
in regards to this do the cups have the SMI or TRW racks?

ill try it when we next look at it just to double check the bushes

and i know as much but thought that people on here could point us in right direction or a possible common issue

I suspect inner rods.

Mine is on 118k and when I took the inner rods out the joints were floppy as a limp d*ck
But the rack bushes still looked fine

You can buy firstline inner tie rods for a cup for under £40 and if you know someone with the right tool it isn't much hassle to change them.
I'd start with that and then see where you are

clio 172 cup
yes there about that just looked on ecp then £31 for pair but lists 2 types in regards to type of rack fitted either SMI or TRW which think relates to length not so sure any ideas?

well ill get it on the ramp wiggle the rack if theres minimal play ill change them then again for £30 might just do them...