ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Pulling to one side/opposite pull on steering when braking?

Freetrack&Monaco 172
Help!

Having a strange symptom following an engine swap/new wishbones. Problem may be completely seperate though!!

When I fitted the new engine I also fitted a new pair of wishbones with new bushes and ball-joints. Had it all alligned properly, all was good.

Now finding the steering wheel after being set level at allignment time has moved slightly to the right. When applying the brakes the car pulls to the right and the steering wheel 'relaxes' and force is felt through the steering wheel but in the opposite direction (left).

I've not had a chance to have a proper look at the car yet, but does anyone have any ideas to point me in the right direction?

1.5dci 80 clio
i put new wishbones, bushes and balljoints on my car, bought the non genuine one, the lasted 3 weeks and were worst than the ones i took off, might be the steerin rack of trackrod ends

Mine does a similar thing but to the left.

Been told it could be calipers sticking, gonna have a look when I have some time. Might be the same for you

ph1 black 172
calipers sticking, road chamber, tracking has moved since alignment,track rod ends.... the list can go on.

take it back to where you had it aligned and get it rechecked, they should check it for free.

Clio Sport 172 -01
Sorry for bumping an old thread but I have a very similar problem with my 172 ph1.

Did you sort it out?

Perhaps someone else has a clue?

Freetrack&Monaco 172
Finally found the problem after such a long time. Had my car in for rear bearing, so new discs pads and bearings both sides, and asked them to go over the front end again for the 3rd time in a year to solve the mystery of steering play. I have had another 2 garages look at my car in the meantime too and none of them had worked it out.

They spent about 3 hours looking at my car and discovered that the two sets of bushes that form the fixing points for the steering rack to the bulkhead are very worn out and that is where the movement is. They supplied me with the exploded diagram and which bits I needed. They never charged me a penny for the diagnosis either despite the time they spent on my car. I have been to Renault and ordered the parts, approx £40, and will post the details/part-number when back in the uk (away with work atm).

Even though I could fit them myself I think I shall be taking the new bushes along with my car back to Tyres Northampton plus a crate of beers/tin of chocholates, and pay them for the work to be done as a big thank you.

Will try to get some pics while the work is being done too.

Freetrack&Monaco 172
Spooky that you bumped my old thread just as I had it worked out. Is your car on high miles out of curiosity? My shell is on 107k now hence why they were worn out. Let me know if you need any more info!?

Clio Sport 172 -01
Spooky that you bumped my old thread just as I had it worked out. Is your car on high miles out of curiosity? My shell is on 107k now hence why they were worn out. Let me know if you need any more info!?

Hehe, checking back in. Just got my car out of the garage ready for the summer, problem haven't been sorted out though.
I have 11 5000KM on mine at the moment.
Great that you reported back. Do you have any other info to go on, pics, partnr etc?