ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Pulled for rear brake light !!

stu

Clio Mk 1
Just got pulled because my o/s brake light had gone now ive got to take my docs down the cop shop within 7 days nd show that it has been fixed within 14 days :mad: more money more hassle !!

anyone now roughly how much an 'm.o.t' approved garage charge for a new one fitted?

ph quick
I got pulled over for speeding and he mentioned that i had a brake light out, didnt make me fix it though and let me off with a 7 day wonder

Er, you dont have to get it fixed by the garage, they only have to look at it and stamp the form to say "yep, its fixed".

Whats the big deal??? He could have given you a '£30 wonder' for driving with a duff light.

the stamp at the mot station varies, some will charge a fiver some will charge full price MOT fee which is £42 still I think, dunno I pay trade prices.

Clio 1.6 16v Dynamique +
Why the hell cant you change the bulb yourself? It's not exactly hard mate. Bulbs arent exactly expensive either. It'll take you 2 minutes to change a bulb, then off to the cop shop to show it's been done. Job done, no worries.

FF 182, K5 GSX-R1000
Good good, plod should stop more of the unroad worthy cars i see every day.

No fine but a rectification notice, best way to deal with it as far as i can see.

the stamp at the mot station varies, some will charge a fiver some will charge full price MOT fee which is £42 still I think, dunno I pay trade prices.

Dont think any garage will charge you for a full MOT, and I dont think anyone would pay it!!!

Usually for the VDRS (which is what the form is called when it needs to stamped) its completely free, though some garages may ask a small fee for their time, normally no more than a couple of quid.

Clio 1.6 16v Dynamique +

Dont think any garage will charge you for a full MOT, and I dont think anyone would pay it!!!

Usually for the VDRS (which is what the form is called when it needs to stamped) its completely free, though some garages may ask a small fee for their time, normally no more than a couple of quid.

Yeah but why pay garage prices when you can do the job yourself and all for the price of a bulb? Then all he has to do it gather up his docs, drive to the Police station, show them the doc, take them outside to prove light is fixed. They will then sign and stamp that it has been fixed and away he goes. I really doent see what the problem is. Surely its better ti know you havent got a light working anyway, isnt it? Its not as if he's been fined for f**k sake!

Yeah thats what I meant, the garage doesnt have to do the job and lets face it, apart from pumping up your tyres its the easiest job you can do on the car!

With the VDRS he'll still need to take it to an MOT approved garage to get the form stamped - this proves that he, or someone else has fixed it to an acceptable standard when he takes it back to the police station (the garage has to stamp it, not the police).

I agree, I dont see what the problem is. He's moaning about having to fix and illegal car for a couple of quid, as if he wouldnt bother fixing a broken light even if he knew about it! :nono:

Last edited:
Slightly off topic, if you have the third brake light as you have a newer car, and one of the side ones blow, can they do you for that or do you only have to have any 2 brake lights working?

Slightly off topic, if you have the third brake light as you have a newer car, and one of the side ones blow, can they do you for that or do you only have to have any 2 brake lights working?

Yes they can. The middle break light isnt an obligatory light and is only added by the manufacturers. Both side brake lights must be working. Though I think there is a slight oddity in the law that states if the third brake light is fitted, it must be working. But essentially, you must have both standard break lights in the position cluster in full working order regardless if there is a third / middle light.

Though I think there is a slight oddity in the law that states if the third brake light is fitted

I thought that was the case

The middle break light isnt an obligatory light and is only added by the manufacturers

I thought it was an EU directive or some s**t? I thought all new cars HAD to be fitted with a third brake light.

Clio 1.6 16v Dynamique +
Yeah thats what I meant, the garage doesnt have to do the job and lets face it, apart from pumping up your tyres its the easiest job you can do on the car!

With the VDRS he'll still need to take it to an MOT approved garage to get the form stamped - this proves that he, or someone else has fixed it to an acceptable standard when he takes it back to the police station (the garage has to stamp it, not the police).

I agree, I dont see what the problem is. He's moaning about having to fix and illegal car for a couple of quid, as if he wouldnt bother fixing a broken light even if he knew about it! :nono:

DO the Police tell you at the time they stop you that you have to have it tested and approved by a garage? If not that's abit off as most people wouldn't know that, infact I didnt.

stu

Clio Mk 1
jesus chill out some of you

i thought that i would have to get it done by the garage

never mind

Debs - yeah, they should tell you that at the time. If not, its printed on the back of the form, but I doubt most people read that.

172 - hmmm, not sure about the EU directive, you may be right, I've never looked into it. All new cars seem to have them these days, even vans so you are probally right, though I dont believe they are covered by UK legislation (at the moment). Incidentally, this whole '3rd brake light' thing started as a trend in the US and it wasnt until Volvo fitted it that it became a safety thing! I remember when they first started appearing and all and sundry with their old heaps were running to Halfords to get a cheap knock up 3rd brake light which they fitted to the rear window with sticky tape to look 'cool' (they never managed to get them straight), it was the chav add on at the time!!

Stu - at least you know now, lol!

Last edited:

stu

Clio Mk 1
i sure do and i just popped too halfords and stuck it in and tomorrow off down the local garage and police station