ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

PS3 and AVI Files

Not got a car
Is it possible to play AVI files off a USB stick on the PS3, Ive just tried it and it says no files avalible.

I have the latested update.

dk

911 GTS Cab
yes, you need to press triangle on the usb drive and then select view all files i think.

it's expecting a video folder but you can do it using the above method.

unless its an mkv, for those you need to convert them to .vob files first using something like mkv2vob.

Not got a car
yes, you need to press triangle on the usb drive and then select view all files i think.

it's expecting a video folder but you can do it using the above method.

unless its an mkv, for those you need to convert them to .vob files first using something like mkv2vob.

yeah done that, It just says no files avalible.

File type is AVI File (.avi)

UR R26R.5, VW Golf R
Rly? I still convert mine to VOB,...

Yeah, I put the new Family Guy on there and The Hangover BR and they worked fine. Both mkv files.

They also streamed from my PC using PS3 Media Server (which is quite a cool piece of software)

57 Clio Campus Sport
Rly? I still convert mine to VOB,...

Ditto. When did it start playing mkv?

For the avi try making a folder called VIDEO on root of USB stick then put video in there, they should always show up, even if there's something wrong with it it should show up and just say unsupported or corrupt.

172//Crap Micra//Bus
my hdd's full of avi's, all play fine apart from the dual audio files. MKV files are strange, don't think my day 1 plays em at all.

57 Clio Campus Sport
Yeah, I put the new Family Guy on there and The Hangover BR and they worked fine. Both mkv files.

They also streamed from my PC using PS3 Media Server (which is quite a cool piece of software)

Were both on USB/hdd? I thought you could stream mkv just not open them on it

mines also a day 1 but that shouldn't make a difference it's not a hardware thing it's a software thing

UR R26R.5, VW Golf R
I tried TVersity but was told (and researched) that PS3 MS was a better option.

You might be right about the playing of mkv files, as I could have been streaming it and got confused. What I'm doing at the moment is copying it over to my PS3 slim HD to see if it will work from there.

Out of interest, go on YouTube and search for playing mkv files on PS3. There's a few vids on there. I'll report back once Family Guy Darkside has copied across.

UR R26R.5, VW Golf R
No worries. Will try now, taking a while to copy over.

As far as the original question goes, pressing triangle on the USB stick option should give you the choice to display all files. If the avi file isn't showing up at first, give it a few seconds as it's maybe just trying to display it and larger files take longer to show in order.

If it's still not appearing, and all the other files are, the avi probably isn't on the USB. Try adding other files and see if they display.

The PS3 does not natively play mkv files. They work from PS3 Media Server because it transcodes them. No need to convert them to vobs.

57 Clio Campus Sport
The PS3 does not natively play mkv files. They work from PS3 Media Server because it transcodes them. No need to convert them to vobs.

thought so, I prefer to convert them onto USB anyway, take a few seconds for 1gb tv shows and like 5-10 mins for a BR and it means I don't have to leave pc on while watching.

UR R26R.5, VW Golf R
So do you just use this mkv2vob program and all is well? No loss in quality or anything?

Not got a car
Im going to try TVersity in a bit.

AVI's play if i burn them to DVD-RW but cant get them to play from USB which is not a prople as its just the same doing it to DVD-RW

UR R26R.5, VW Golf R
PS3 Media Server is better than TVersity, IMO. Try both, or even Windows Media Player 11.

57 Clio Campus Sport
So do you just use this mkv2vob program and all is well? No loss in quality or anything?

Yep mkv2vob I have it on the setting one below highest quality as highest one makes files like 6x bigger and takes hours. But there is no noticeable difference. Programs like tversity and ps3 server must put the files through some sort of transcode anyway so it won't be any worse than how they turn out using that. It also re-encodes DTS on files that have it so you can get true DTS from playstation

UR R26R.5, VW Golf R
How do I know if I need to force transcode?

It gives a warning notice at the bottom saying I should tick to force transcoding DTS, but I left it unticked.

I've converted two mkv files on "Automatic" output and it's changed them both to mpg's. Is this normal, or should I force change the output to vob?

57 Clio Campus Sport
Mpg fine and you need to tick force transcode to ac3 if you don't have a dts capable sound system. Not all high def stuff comes with dts, most tv shows are ac3 which works fine but BR do usually come with DTS.

I don't have to use that option but I'm guessing things with DTS will take longer so may be worth streaming those but test it and see

Also set size splitting to 4GB because FAT32 can't handle bigger, means BRs usually split into 2 pieces

Clio 197
Sorry to dig up an old thread but i am having trouble playing movies on my PS3, i have installed tversity to my laptop and PS3 but when i try to play the film on my ps3 it says connection error and wont play, also when i try and use the PS3 media server it says it cant find any either so i cant get the film to work that way either, where or what am i doing wrong?

Cheers in advance