ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

PS1 NTSC help please

ex Clio 172 owner :(
My sister has a Cuban penpal who has asked her to try to get a PS1 game for his son.

I'm guessing they use US NTSC but what games available on UK ebay will work?

I ended getting a beat em up for what I thought was NTSC but it's Jap NTSC and I don't know if that will work.

Will it?

Cheers.

500bhp Scoob
NTSC is NTSC, I don't believe theres any difference between Jap and US, apart from language, on a game anyway, I know theres NTSC-M for the yanks, and NTSC-J for japs, but thats all to do with video, not games.

It just dictates the amount of lines it displays, NTSC is at 525 horizontal lines/60 vertical lines, while PAL is typically 625 horizontal lines/50 vertical lines, hence why some TV's dont like NTSC playback, in the UK, but most TVs now are alright for playing NTSC content.

500bhp Scoob
Jonesy said:
It wont load unless the ps1 is chipped.

Playing a NTSC game on a PAL ps1 won't work, but playing an NTSC authentic game, on an NTSC console will work.

len_beach

ClioSport Club Member
  E92 M3,172 track car
An NTSC-J game will not load on an NTSC (USA) console unless it is chipped as Jonesy said. Even though both regions use the same screen formatting (NTSC) they have individual region coding so games cannot be played on the other regions machines.

500bhp Scoob
hmmm, well I never had a problem with my US Playstation One playing Jap games before I started using one of them 'Action Replay' style addon cards, which allowed me to play backups (which was definately needed when I was younger and kept scratching the hell out of the originals), so was just going on my experience i've had with it.

Audi S3 225
i used to do the swap trick, using a biro pen so the lid can stay open while the console thinks its closed, then had to swap the disks at certain times while the disk was spinning/loading. proper knackered the lense out.