ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Proxy/VPN - remaining anonymous

182, turbo rx8, 911
I'm not very clued up on proxies. In principle I understand how they work obviously the main issue with using a proxy if you were hiding from authorities is that they can obviously obtain the server logs from said proxy and obtain your actual IP address

How anonymous can you actually get surfing the web? Anyone got any suggestions on recommended services/methods.

Cupra
As you are either a kiddy p**n fanatic, a terrorist or about to take part in some other cyber mischief, I'm not going to help you. :rasp:

LY 182
I'd have thought getting your own dedicated proxy and ensuring you clear all cookies and such on visits will keep you fairly safe.

I used to do this when doing something more shady with my internet marketing.

Cupra
I'm just interested as to how anonymous one can make themselves on the web - cheers dum

Very, but only to a point. i.e. you knock on the wrong door or piss off the wrong people/ government and they'll probably be able to get you. If it is just to hide your browsing habits or for cheating in games, surveys and competitions online, then you are probably safe.

hackers.jpg

LY 182
Very, but only to a point. i.e. you knock on the wrong door or piss off the wrong people/ government and they'll probably be able to get you. If it is just to hide your browsing habits or for cheating in games, surveys and competitions online, then you are probably safe.

hackers.jpg

Lol yup this!

My 'shady' activity was basically me using a fake account for something where I didn't want me old account / details being matched with this one. It worked too.

2.2 bar shed.
post-852107219-44103-Good_Luck_Im_Behind_7_Proxies.jpg

But on a serious note, it all depends how creative you get. Find some unsecured wireless, theres your first start. If you do get traced back anywhere its not to you. Change your MAC address, not strictly legal iirc but its easy to do. VNC to a computer on a seperate network and then go through proxies via there, more creative you get the harder it is to track. End of the day if you've REALLY pissed someone off then theres only so much you can do before the games up.

Cupra
Mwwahahahahahhaa. We can take over the world with this one:
HaXoRs!

Last edited by a moderator:
Mwwahahahahahhaa. We can take over the world with this one:
HaXoRs!

Is this clown for real?

Traceroute on his own connection > destination. They aren't peoples IP addresses. That's the addresses of the routers he has passed through to get to google.com

Last edited by a moderator:

ChrisR

ClioSport Club Member
As has been said, all depends on who it is you're trying to hide from ;)

End of the day with effort most things can ultimately be traced, but just depends on if it's worth the effort to do so.

182FF with cup packs
post-852107219-44103-Good_Luck_Im_Behind_7_Proxies.jpg

But on a serious note, it all depends how creative you get. Find some unsecured wireless, theres your first start. If you do get traced back anywhere its not to you. Change your MAC address, not strictly legal iirc but its easy to do. VNC to a computer on a seperate network and then go through proxies via there, more creative you get the harder it is to track. End of the day if you've REALLY pissed someone off then theres only so much you can do before the games up.

^ This.

Due to the very natures of the way TCP/IP works it is very difficult to totally anonymise your connection (if not impossible), all you can do is to make it as hard as possible for someone trying to trace you to get at the logs off of the devices you bounce through.

Ideally what you actually want to do is crack someone's secured wireless (piece of cake, you'd be surprised), then spoof the MAC address of one of their own devices, then to all intents and purposes you looks like a known device on some random's network. If you then use that spoofed connection to route through TOR and then through a bunch of proxies etc, making sure that you jump between countries that do not have very good relations with each other (for example, go from a proxy in Iran to a proxy in Israel, when their trying to backtrace the Iranian authorities will have f**k all to do with the Israelis), you make it as difficult as possible.

If you were doing it properly, you would use non-persistent USB boot images on "borrowed" hardware you do not own, connecting via someone else WiFi .

41YnrhcWPkL._SS500_.jpg

Then again, this does sit on my desk :evil:, so I do take security fairly seriously, so you wouldn't catch me doing anything like that of course. :eek: