ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Project: BMW E21.

Took the last of the trim off last night, personally think it looks awesome without the front bumper!

8347698568_c44aa07335_c.jpg

8347697082_2f47c06e7e_c.jpg

Also, there's a bit of a dent on the front corner of the bonnet, it's been repaired with a fair amount of filler :(

8347695770_207b2b6b57_c.jpg

Welding quotes still need to be sourced, and then paint.

In the meantime, I'll be getting most of the underseal off and reapplied with fresh stuff.

Another night...

8358491729_5fe2488cd1_c.jpg

Another problem...

8358489925_b9a604322c_c.jpg

More rust. :(

I also started tackling the underseal, it's come off quite well truth be told, Autosmart Tardis turns it into water, and it wipes off with a rag. Only thing is, it's messy and you go through rags like there's no tomorrow!

Also tried to get the dampers off, so I could have better access in the wheelarch, but I need a long ball joint splitter to get the damper/hub assembly off the control arm ball joint.

8358490911_e43995fc9f_c.jpg

Trying to stay positive, 'tis my birthday on Friday, so hopefully should get a fair few bits for the car then :eek:

So I've been told, but I've also been told it's the only way it's coming out.

The thread on it is pretty rough anyway, I'll probably have to get new control arms :(

Just think though, the more fresh new parts you have on it, the sweeter it'll be to drive. I'd be changing things like bushes anyway tbh, unless they've been done fairly recently?

I have "stages" that I want to stick to:

- Welding
- Paint
- Interior
- Suspension/wheels
- Subframe refurb inc bushes, tie rods ect
- Engine rebuild

I don't need new bushes yet, the car never gets driven. Ideally I want to keep to my plan, so the right parts are on the car at the right time. £130 on new control arms and tie rod ends is money that could go towards more important things.

If I can, I'll refit the control arms with damaged ball joints/rubbers. The car is only sat on the drive/making a short trip to a workshop, so it will do it no harm at all.

BMW E36 328
Just read this from start to finish Ed, really impressed with it. I never knew you were going so deep into the restoration/build. I'll have to pop round one weekend and take a look :)

Just read this from start to finish Ed, really impressed with it. I never knew you were going so deep into the restoration/build. I'll have to pop round one weekend and take a look :)

Yeah mate, I'm a good way into it now, certainly no going back! Come over whenever you fancy :)

I still can't get over how good it looks de-bumpered.

Yup :eek:

I was watching a film tonight called 'fractured' with a car almost identical to this in. Look it up

Fracture, with Hopkins/Ryan Gosling? In that he's driving a BMW E9 3.0 CSL.

Mega rare and very, very expensive these days!

120d M Sport
Yeah mate, I'm a good way into it now, certainly no going back! Come over whenever you fancy :)

Yup :eek:

Fracture, with Hopkins/Ryan Gosling? In that he's driving a BMW E9 3.0 CSL.

Mega rare and very, very expensive these days!

Thats the one! Ahh good knowledge. Just the colour and the front grill reminded me of yours.

Marky_

ClioSport Club Member
Fantastic project. Need to work harder though. The number of pages to progress ratio is not good :p

I know that feeling. My MX5 has been in the garage since November and I've only lightly polished about a third of it.

Yep, a mixture of cold weather and Christmas duties has sapped most of my time.

I do have someone coming over next week to quote me on welding and paint though :)

Marky_

ClioSport Club Member
You couldn't be more right mate, I've slacked recently :(

In my defence, this stage is all about stripping stuff off the car, not overly exciting!
Don't worry mate. I was only messing.
I spent an hour reading the thread last night and it's not your fault there's about 10 pages of people arguing!

Not doing the welding yourself anymore?

Nah, gonna get a pro to do it. Don't want to make a hash of it through inexperience, along with the fact it's pretty bad on the passenger side, I think it's best I leave it to those who know what they're doing.

Got the car back on all fours yesterday.

Arches cleared of underseal now:

8399295583_2597a687e1_c.jpg

Also got a shot of the car without a front bumper. Quick PS of it with the holes on the lower panel smoothed off:

8399294159_6f09981fed_c.jpg

Got a guy coming over this afternoon to give me a quote for welding and painting.

He's a good friend of my girlfriends dad, who had a lot of work done by him on his Split Screens, his last of which, was absolutely stunning IMO.

8407059647_d1536e5fb7_b.jpg

8408155012_ea55b87b1f_b.jpg

8408154988_9f82d179f6_b.jpg

So, Lee came round and had a good look at the car.

All in, (welding, painting and re-undersealing where needed) is £1700.

So I'll be going with him.

Car needs to be stripped and ready for Saturday 16th Feb, and will then take 3-4 weeks to complete.

Already can't wait :D

Heez

ClioSport Club Member
  Superleggera'd Bean
You're going the same colour aren't you?

I expect the next few weeks will have awesome updates!

welshname

ClioSport Club Member
I reckon when it gets back we could get it back together over a few nights/ a weekend.

Can't wait to see the car looking nice and new.

Oh and personally I'd be putting the coilovers on before you send it to get painted, just raise them up a fair whack, you saw how much of a ballache it was to get them out the first time round, and whilst the paint is still relatively soft and fresh you're risking damaging it, which would be 100% gutting.

You know it makes sense.

Oh and personally I'd be putting the coilovers on before you send it to get painted, just raise them up a fair whack, you saw how much of a ballache it was to get them out the first time round, and whilst the paint is still relatively soft and fresh you're risking damaging it, which would be 100% gutting.

You know it makes sense.

Normally I would agree, but I'll be changing the control arms and tie rod ends, so swapping the damper will be a doddle this time (we can take the control arm off)