ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Project 172 **** ITB'S - 204bhp *** Redline Featured ***

E39 M5 & Corsa track
Re: Project 172 **** Update page 7 -ITB'S ****

its a fair bit cleaner now ben, got fed up of getting dirt on my hands.

the loom is now totally finished and all fitted etc, just awaiting some rolling road time now :)

mark

photo1-1.jpg

photo-3.jpg

Looks awesome :)

maynard

ClioSport Club Member
  ph2 172 track car
Re: Project 172 **** Update page 9 -ITB'S ****

they look great, but the trumpets seem a bit small to me. what size are they or is that just the set you have gone for ben?

they look great, but the trumpets seem a bit small to me. what size are they or is that just the set you have gone for ben?

Just quoting mark here, as im abit noobish on this.

with this setup you get a longer ram pipe than the jenvey tapers.

This pic sort of shows what it means, these are loooooooong
renault_F4e.jpg

Mark will confirm im sure :)

Last edited:

maynard

ClioSport Club Member
  ph2 172 track car

ah fair enought then, on that other pic they are quite long! what about the width is that 'normal' do you think?

alien green rs133

we tried both tapered and straight and saw 1bhp different between them and that favoured the tapered ones, but not on a mega reliable rolling road

E39 M5 & Corsa track

funny you should mention that....

ben, its a similar bracket to the GDI one, basically its a bracket designed in the only way to mount the coil in the standard location.

i do apologise, such a fantastic place to put it in the standard location, few £ later and one water jet bracket to hold the coil in place.

E39 M5 & Corsa track

we tried both tapered and straight and saw 1bhp different between them and that favoured the tapered ones, but not on a mega reliable rolling road

I would imagine the main reason for the going for jenvey taper over parallels, other than mid range power gains, would also be the space.

the AT ones are slightly different in design again, giving more space and more power compared to the diameter of the butterfly

Nissan Skyline

I would imagine the main reason for the going for jenvey taper over parallels, other than mid range power gains, would also be the space.

the AT ones are slightly different in design again, giving more space and more power compared to the diameter of the butterfly

I think hutchie is talking about a set of tapered extensions we did for the rally car (42 up to 50mm diameter). As he says it didn't seem to make much difference.

The system jamsport are using is deliberately on the short side so the radiator can stay as is and the slam panel remains intact. We've had a shorter system than that make 205bhp and 158lb/ft with some second hand "I don't know what they are but they're very mild" cams on a 182. You would perhaps make a handful more lb/ft with it being longer, but you would need to trim the slam panel and use a shorter rad. I've never seen a back to back test where only the length is changed, so I'm just going on power graphs that I have where I know the length with similar modifications.

I think the coil would look better on the right hand side there if it will fit, but it's a tidy job anyway.

John.

John, judging by the username, I presume you are the guys doing the work for Ben? If so, looks good so far!

Nissan Skyline

Well, Jamsport are doing the graft, we make the throttle bodies :cool:

John.

E39 M5 & Corsa track

John, we did consider mounting the coil on the side of the head, and simply swapping the leads around, this may well be done just need to make some alterations to the loom.

Ben

ClioSport Club Member

Excellent read. Can't wait to hear the beast ;)

340i
Re: Project 172 *** Update page 10 -ITB'S - 204bhp ***

Good figure!!

What was the final trumpet / air filter set-up?

Re: Project 172 *** Update page 10 -ITB'S - 204bhp ***

Sausage filter needed to be ordered, so will need to be sent to me when it arrives, same with a different brakcet to locate the coil pack to see which i like best.

Not sure re trumpets etc, sure mark will confim :)

VERY VERY happy, nice to have over the 200bhp mark.