ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Proffesional Detailing

Z4 Coupe
Hi, Few marks here and there on the RB so seriously thinking about sending her off for a full detail.

I really dont know whats exactly involved in this therefor havent really got a clue on price. Friend of mine has someone he highly recommends but im waiting for a call back with a price so would be good to have a few figures in my head to compare with whatever price he gives..

How much would i expect to be paying for this service?

Andy

53 Clio 172
Depends on what you want or what your car needs.

If you go for standard detail I would say about £100-200 from a company side of things

Z4 Coupe
I just want it back looking as good as can be.. Obviously achieving what is possible.

I no somethings are impossible without paint etc!

Not a 320d
Full machine...you pay for what you get with this.

£2-300 id expect to pay for a fairly decent job minimum.

Which is why I always encourage people to spend £150 on some washing/drying gear and a machine polisher set and do it themselvs. Its not hard but there are minor risks involved.

STEALTH RAIDER
From a pro detailer Jonny??? For an enhancement detail (single stage) you will be looking at minimum £200 and will need your car for the day. Full correction Would usually see you closer to the £400 mark and would need your car roughly 2 days if its a proper full correction. If he isnt a pro, half the prices shown. You do get what you pay for so make sure you do a bit of research!!!! Lew

LY R26 230 F1 Team
From a pro detailer Jonny??? For an enhancement detail (single stage) you will be looking at minimum £200 and will need your car for the day. Full correction Would usually see you closer to the £400 mark and would need your car roughly 2 days if its a proper full correction. If he isnt a pro, half the prices shown. You do get what you pay for so make sure you do a bit of research!!!! Lew

This expect to pay around £200-400.

Not a 320d
£200 would be more enhancement too.

Get the stuff you self and read up on it/watch youtube vids.

e/ So basically what Lew said.

Z4 Coupe
To be honest i think i'd rather have it proffesionally done, then i can keep on top of it myself from then on..

that make sence?

STEALTH RAIDER
Yeah course it does, not everybody wants to buy all the stuff and do it themselves as it does take a lot of time.

aldo_87

ClioSport Club Member
  Campus 1*2
My friend got a quote from a company in aberdeen last week for a detail and paint correction on his RB320. £827 :eek:

aldo_87

ClioSport Club Member
  Campus 1*2
I think that might have been the one, not 100% sure! Crazy stuff! Another £500 and your in respray territory, and you get a free machine polish with that! lol

Audi A4 AVANT 1.9TDi
As above really, some of the prices are spot on. A "minor paint correction" (single-pass enhancement) would come in at around £200-250 on a single days work and "major correction" £300+.

I'm based just up the '46 from you, Andy. Let me know if I can help at all.

DSC_0150.jpg
DSC_0137.jpg

DSC_0133.jpg

Ali

V6, Trackhawk, GTS
Buy your own PC! Its so simple and the end result is 75% as good as what a pro could do!

Ali

V6, Trackhawk, GTS
errm...Wraps fade, swirl and mark quite easily actually and also fcuk the paint!

Gally

Formerly Mashed up egg in a cup
ClioSport Club Member
Lols at being shocked at PB's prices!

When you're at the top of your game, one of the best in the business and your books are full you can charge what the f**k you want.

That's how life works.

CBR1K, F21 125D
Buy your own PC! Its so simple and the end result is 75% as good as what a pro could do!

^ This.

Or just get a rotary, and take your time. It's so simple when you have seen a few tutorials etc.
Even if just using Lime prime or a FF on a medium pad.

CBR1K, F21 125D
I guess if you're the type of person who struggles with grown up laces and or button up flys then you're better of paying for it.

I guess if you're the type of person who struggles with grown up laces and or button up flys then you're better of paying for it.

With that sort of comment, let's ask a simple question. How many microns of top coat did you remove on your last pass with Final Finish, using your rotary? Willing to bet my detailing collection that you don't know...?

If you want to go out, buy a rotary, buy a PDG, buy all the necessary equipment like pads, lights, MFs, polishes, clay, top end waxes, wheel cleaners, ramps, a studio etc etc etc and run with it, do so. I did and have never looked back. But I am a few thousand pounds down and see it as a hobby.

Gents like Jim White and the guys at PB did likewise and achieve outstanding results. Not Billy got a buffer for Xmas and now promotes his "ability to burn through paint like no other" business.

So sure, they charge a few £££ for their services. Get a decent wash method into the clients' minds and they won't see swirls for another good year or so.

There is a lot to be said for taking things on yourself, but as with all DIY, it can go seriously wrong.

Coby.

ClioSport Club Member
  XC60-R.......V40-R
I'm no detailing pro but I'm sure it depends exactly what you want done, If it's just paint correction then the prices estimated sound reasonable but if you have scratches which will need lightly sanding and heavy correction then I guess you'd be looking at a lot more, Do you want the engine bay done? Interior done? All factors that need to be considered.

Z4 Coupe
Engine bay and interior arnt really a problem to be honest it's just the exterior I'd like working on. There are light scratches/swirl marks that would obviously need attention..

Ali

V6, Trackhawk, GTS
Lol! You do not need a PDG! It's anal, i've never used one in my life, but i have the confidence and know how that i'm not going to burn through the top coat! FYI it takes well over a min at full pressure to have a "Smokey" impact on the paint; there's a vid on DW somewhere.

I also don't see how it's any easier to take an edge off with a rotary than it is a DA?! Explain that one to me.

A rotary @ low speed/low cut polish, (Pads irrelevant) will do a decent job without inflicting damage. Get yourself along to a detailing day and watch a tutorial, it's not hard!

Honda & VW
It always baffles me how people think that its a better idea to buy the kit yourself and have a crack than let a professional do it just to save a few quid.
Often it will end up costing you more in the long run once you make a mistake or simply make no difference what so ever that you end up paying a pro after you've wasted all your money trying to go down the DIY route.

If you wanted to tile your bathroom yes you can certainly have a crack yourself but A] its likely to be a poor job and B] when you mess it up you won't be happy so will get on the blower to a pro.

People in any sort of trade are there for a reason.

If you are mildly passionate about Detailing then by all means start investing and try and improve your skills but its not going to happen over night, with regards to Andy's original post my advice would be to get it done professionally then either ask for advice from whoever does it or do some research yourself to allow you to maintain the finish that Jim or whoever achieves
(after seeing alot of his work Jim @ White Details would get my vote especially as he is so close to you).

Clio 172
With that sort of comment, let's ask a simple question. How many microns of top coat did you remove on your last pass with Final Finish, using your rotary? Willing to bet my detailing collection that you don't know...?

If you want to go out, buy a rotary, buy a PDG, buy all the necessary equipment like pads, lights, MFs, polishes, clay, top end waxes, wheel cleaners, ramps, a studio etc etc etc and run with it, do so. I did and have never looked back. But I am a few thousand pounds down and see it as a hobby.

Gents like Jim White and the guys at PB did likewise and achieve outstanding results. Not Billy got a buffer for Xmas and now promotes his "ability to burn through paint like no other" business.

So sure, they charge a few £££ for their services. Get a decent wash method into the clients' minds and they won't see swirls for another good year or so.

There is a lot to be said for taking things on yourself, but as with all DIY, it can go seriously wrong.

How did you actually get started then JD from a business point of view?

How did you actually get started then JD from a business point of view?

I imported the Porter Cable 7424 back when they first came out. There was a guy called Blue172 or something that started importing them. I was one of the first in my area and on this forum to get one. So I detailed my car, then parents and posted work up on here. Then going off the response, started to have CS members over for an 8-10 hour paint correction, based on the fact that it is only really the machining part that others can't do as easily.

From there, well, new cars, new forums, friends of friends, locals etc. I was a business from the point of view of insurance, products and the tax man, but I have always been and will continue to be, a hobbiest who charges minimal amounts purely so I can meet new members etc.