ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Product order (have i missed anything?)

KG Exige - ex-V6 owner
Hi Guys,

I wanted to get the order right for cleaning the car, but i wasnt sure if i needed anything else, or which were the best products to use for the stages I'm unsure about. Can anyone advise?

- Wash (Gilmour Foamaster II, with chemical guys maxi suds)
- Clay (megs clay kit with detail spray)
- Glaze (megs 7)
- Wax (megs)

Do i need a sealant in there somewhere? Also do i need a hand polish (i dont have a PC though)?

The car is in pretty much mint condition with hardly any swirling so I don't feel a PC is needed, and I'm using 2 buckets, a lambswool mitt, detailing cloths, and a drying cloth.

So - can anyone guide me with my current technique - i'm looking to get it perfect this week as i've got a magazine shoot in it next week!

Thanks,

Mark

Chocolate Bar™
glaze is a 100% polish but designed not to remove material. if i were you i would seal after the glaze, but if your going to wax it regularly its not vital

106 GTi
After claying chances are you will need a polish rather than just the Glaze.

Working by hand, Megs Scratch X on spot defects and Autoglym Super Resin on the whole car.

A sealant wont really fit into the glaze/wax combo that you are planning. Using a sealant it will not bond to the glaze - What Megs wax have you got?

KG Exige - ex-V6 owner
Thanks guys. To answer your Q's....

I dont really want to remove material as the wash and clay should sort out whatever weekly muck has been spat up. I probably wax the car every 4-6 months.

I've got Megs gold class wax.

I don't think i need the Scratch X as there aren't any defects in the paintwork.

So, should i ditch the glaze completely and use a resin after i've clayed? Sorry if i've misunderstood - i havent really got to grips with this stage of the work.

KG Exige - ex-V6 owner
Sorry - i don't know why i posted "resin" instead of "polish" think the sun must be getting to me.

Should my method now be:

- polish (which one should i use for a metalic blue?)
- Wax (megs gold class)

Thanks,

RB 182
Polish you need to use the Autoglym Super Resin Polish.

You should wax more often than 4-6 months as the Megs won't last that long, only something like the Collinites would come close to that. Personally I would be using a couple of coats of Autoglym Extra Gloss Protection over the Autoglym Super Resin Polish.

KG Exige - ex-V6 owner
ok dokey - so we are now:

- polish (Autoglym Super Resin Polish)
- protection (Autoglym Extra Gloss Protection)
- Wax (megs gold class every 3 months ish)

106 GTi
No point using the Gold Glass Wax over EGP as the cleaners in it will strip the EGP.

Get a decent pure Carnuba, on Blues it would be P21s for me.

KG Exige - ex-V6 owner
OK - so i now have

- polish (Autoglym Super Resin Polish)
- protection (Autoglym Extra Gloss Protection)
- Wax (P21s)

Is this the definitive list for me? I think i've got a the autoglym products at home already as they were in a kit someone got me for xmas.

106 GTi
Paintwise that should see you well.

Be carefull when you clay not to induce marks that will need a heavier polish than the SRP to sort them.

KG Exige - ex-V6 owner
Thanks everyone for their help - obviously especially you Rich. Can't wait to get started on the weekend. Watch out for my car in Practical Performance Car magazine over the next couple of months, as it's the shoot next week!

Here's a few pics of the car in its current state:

2wmj142.gif

2moxzqv.gif

2cwmpar.gif

106 GTi
Looking forward to seeing it in the Mag - Super Resin and Extra Gloss the wheels if you get time, will be worth the effort.

Grab some trye dressing and clean the glass really well too for the shoot.

for max bling look go for chemical guys butter wet wax!! It doesnt last as long as p21s but imo the results are better. If you want your paint to shimmer with a wet look the you cant go wrong with butter wet wax.

Absolutely gorgeous car by the way!!

KG Exige - ex-V6 owner
Looking forward to seeing it in the Mag - Super Resin and Extra Gloss the wheels if you get time, will be worth the effort.
Grab some trye dressing and clean the glass really well too for the shoot.

Will do with the wheels - I've got a couple of decent brushes for them, tyre dressing, and some cloths for them too! As you can see from the pics - the alloys are in very good shape without any marks on them.

Glad everyone else likes the car too - very kind of you :D

Mito Sportiva 135
LEEDS??! How does it still have wheels at all?? I am moving back to Hyde Park for my final year in September and dreading it. My housemate has (or will have by then) his BRAND new 230 F1 though so hopefully they go for that instead ;)

106 GTi
for max bling look go for chemical guys butter wet wax!! It doesnt last as long as p21s but imo the results are better. If you want your paint to shimmer with a wet look the you cant go wrong with butter wet wax.

You and your Butter Wet Shite ! P21s, Pinnacle Souveran, Swissvax Onyx, Chemical Guys 50/50 all look better and outlast it.

KG Exige - ex-V6 owner
LEEDS??! How does it still have wheels at all?? I am moving back to Hyde Park for my final year in September and dreading it. My housemate has (or will have by then) his BRAND new 230 F1 though so hopefully they go for that instead ;)

hahaha not all of Leeds is like that y'know - there are some nice bits. Mind you I'm not sure i would want to park up in Hyde Park for too long - esp at night.

I've ordered the P21s BTW

RB 182
You and your Butter Wet s**te ! P21s, Pinnacle Souveran, Swissvax Onyx, Chemical Guys 50/50 all look better and outlast it.

I think this must be the only wax Lusty has used...either that or on comission. :rasp: Wasn't anything that special when I tried it.

Mito Sportiva 135
You and your Butter Wet s**te ! P21s, Pinnacle Souveran, Swissvax Onyx, Chemical Guys 50/50 all look better and outlast it.

I think this must be the only wax Lusty has used...either that or on comission. :rasp: Wasn't anything that special when I tried it.

I used the EZ Glaze II with Body Blitz sealant and 50/50 and looks amazing. Got some photos I need to post, but really brought out the flecks well. There are pink flecks in the Pearl Black which I never noticed before. Pure paint p**n!!

no way! They may outlast it but for a photoshoot or as a show wax you wont beat the shine and shimmer the butter wet gives!! :approve:

106 GTi
b****cks Lusty - Out of all my waxes they nearly all look better - Period.

Come back and see me when you have used all the above waxes applied on 50/50 split panels alongside butter wet wax - plus against Swissvax Best of Show, Zymol Concours and Destiny and show me the photos of it looking better.

I did half my bonnet with Wet Wet Wet and Pinnacle Souveran and the CG was not even in the same ball park.

Ultimate wet look at a show, just wack a coat of Megs 7 on it.

b****cks Lusty - Out of all my waxes they nearly all look better - Period.

Come back and see me when you have used all the above waxes applied on 50/50 split panels alongside butter wet wax - plus against Swissvax Best of Show, Zymol Concours and Destiny and show me the photos of it looking better.

I did half my bonnet with Wet Wet Wet and Pinnacle Souveran and the CG was not even in the same ball park.

Ultimate wet look at a show, just wack a coat of Megs 7 on it.

rubbish ma boy ;)

this clio was done with butter wet wax. you cant argue with the results

DSCF0981.jpg

and best it only costs 12 quid a bottle, and smells of banana ;)

all on your list cost at least 25 quid per tub.

106 GTi
Dream on Lusty!

Clearkote Carnuba Moose Wax amd even Nattys Blue look better and last longer than the Slightly Slight Wet both also at 12 quid a pop.

Clearkote

P4240010.jpg

Nattys Blue

P9040019.jpg

Most of the look in a wax is in created in the prep.

106 GTi
Not even Lustys car, he stole the pic of another member!

TBH I dont like Nattys Blue, but I like it more then Wet Wet Wet!

Mito Sportiva 135

Not a fan then Rich?!?

I recommend the Body Blitz sealant though, when you apply it it instantly looks darker than any other sealant I've used and really brings out the flake well. Not sure about the protection though as it hasn't rained for a while! Not that I am complaining....:approve:

106 GTi
FFS Lusty stop spaming ;)

Not a fan then Rich?!?

I recommend the Body Blitz sealant though, when you apply it it instantly looks darker than any other sealant I've used and really brings out the flake well. Not sure about the protection though as it hasn't rained for a while! Not that I am complaining....:approve:

Blitz is ok, does not leave the washed out look like M-Seal does at least.

For Carnuba type looks in a sealant I still like Wolfgang and Blackfire All Paint Protection, which both have the edge slightly in looks on the EGP and Jeffs.

But neither the Wolfgang or Blackfire come close in the durability stakes, and none have the ease of use the Jeffs AJT has.

When I finally get round to polishing the 182 this year, glazes and waxes only till the autumn/winter. Menz Final Finish followed by Zymol HD Cleanse looks so good stand alone even before wax, I can not find a place in the process for a sealant.

Mito Sportiva 135
FFS Lusty stop spaming ;)

Not a fan then Rich?!?

Blitz is ok, does not leave the washed out look like M-Seal does at least.

For Carnuba type looks in a sealant I still like Wolfgang and Blackfire All Paint Protection, which both have the edge slightly in looks on the EGP and Jeffs.

But neither the Wolfgang or Blackfire come close in the durability stakes, and none have the ease of use the Jeffs AJT has.

When I finally get round to polishing the 182 this year, glazes and waxes only till the autumn/winter. Menz Final Finish followed by Zymol HD Cleanse looks so good stand alone even before wax, I can not find a place in the process for a sealant.

Yeh I am going to be using the Menzerna polishes on mine... was still going to go with the EZ Glaze II, body blitz or Jeffs then 50/50. Do you not think the sealant is necessary in this case then? I like getting a lot of protection on the paint even if it means sacrificing looks a little - as it rains so much here not a real problem as it has to be washed to regularly!

106 GTi
A glaze after the PO85RD may add something. But the Gloss it leaves is already superb.

I am going to try my old fave combo of Clearkote Vanilla Moose and Red Machine Glaze or Megs 7 before HD Cleanse and Carnuba and see what they add.

For me on a car that will be getting coat of wax most weeks before shows, plus with Swissvax Best of Show being good for 8-10 weeks protection anyway the extra looks I will gain from just by fitting the HD Cleanse into the process is well worth losing sealant durability which I dont really need anyway. If the car was driven everyday and lived outside for more than a few hours each week I would not happy to drop the sealant tho.

Mito Sportiva 135
A glaze after the PO85RD may add something. But the Gloss it leaves is already superb.

I am going to try my old fave combo of Clearkote Vanilla Moose and Red Machine Glaze or Megs 7 before HD Cleanse and Carnuba and see what they add.

For me on a car that will be getting coat of wax most weeks before shows, plus with Swissvax Best of Show being good for 8-10 weeks protection anyway the extra looks I will gain from just by fitting the HD Cleanse into the process is well worth losing sealant durability which I dont really need anyway. If the car was driven everyday and lived outside for more than a few hours each week I would not happy to drop the sealant tho.

Yeh, mine is stored outside so think I will stick with the sealant. Think I am going to go with:

Menzerna polishes (not sure which ones yet I will use, going to test as I will be ordering the sample set)
EZ Glaze II
Jeffs or Body Blitz - maybe a coat of both
50/50 wax

Reckon that combo should work well together, although might drop the glaze, would it reduce the bonding between polish and sealant do you think? Seems to work well with the BB and 50/50 which I have on now...

Mito Sportiva 135
If you go with the Jeffs I would use SRP or Klasse AIO first.

Would the SRP be needed even after the final finish polish then? Otherwise might order the Blackfire sealant as thats meant to be really good, or could go back to the old EGP.... which option would you go with? Ta.

The Butter Wet Wax pro votes have gone quiet today, and disappointingly no votes for Cusco Kid's miracle Teflon Wax!!

106 GTi
Yeah Jeffs needs the AIO or SRP base to be effective as does the EGP.

Lusty is the only one who uses the Butter Wet wax and he is busy applying fake tan or something. No comment on the other stuff!

Mito Sportiva 135
Yeah Jeffs needs the AIO or SRP base to be effective as does the EGP.

Lusty is the only one who uses the Butter Wet wax and he is busy applying fake tan or something. No comment on the other stuff!

Right... ok well might give the car a light SRP by hand after machine polishing it then, think I might leave the glaze and go straight to Jeffs (couple of coats) and then to 50/50.

That will give my arms a very good workout!!!

Bring back Cusco Kid, he added some arguments that this forum is lacking! ;)