ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Processor Question?

Andy_con

ClioSport Club Member
  clio 182
just got one of these dell laptops, its comes with an i5 processor and the spec on the dell website says up to 2.7GHz

1_zps5f43cd3d.jpg

but when I check the spec on the laptop it only says 1.7GHz, why? what am I missing?

2_zps64247f4e.jpg

SharkyUK

ClioSport Club Member
The i5-4210u CPU is dual core and operates at a base speed of 1.7GHz. It is capable of running in 'Turbo' mode at up to speeds of 2.7GHz, but only on a single core when the system allows. The specs you are seeing in Windows are correct :up:

Andy_con

ClioSport Club Member
  clio 182
so is the processor in my old laptop better then, its an Celeron t3000 dual-core 1.80GHz

Definitely not, the i5 is absolutely leagues ahead.

"Higher number is better" is unfortunately a naive assumption, pounced on by marketing departments. Just like cars, this engine produces more peak power so it must be better, the touring car version uses the same engine block so your road car must basically be a race car, this component uses aircraft grade ally so it must be good... etc