ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

procedure when buying a car with a private plate ?

Black 182 + Recaros
Does anyone know the procedure when buying a car with a private number plate.

The seller wishes to keep the plate, but I want the car asap.

How long should it take. Do I have to wait for the transfer before I can drive it away ?

Thanks

artic blue 182
mine had a private plate on it when i got it

was told you cant do it over the counter anymore at a DVLA office...but that was probably the usual Renault bullshit

took 12 days

LY V6 with Recaros
Yeah, when I swapped my plate back on my old car before selling, I just went down to the dvla, and I could swap it straight away.

Black 182 + Recaros
So until the plate has been changed over, you cant take it away ?

So if you cant do it over the counter, then I have to wait upto 12 days ?. That's a long time.

A4 Avant
I had to wait 12 days for my plate to be taken off the car before the sale went though. It changed about 6 months ago and it's not completed over the counter anymore.

Black 182 + Recaros
Nigel,

How did you handle the sale. I mean, if I was buying a car with a private plate, the seller wouldn't change the plates until I paid for the car, but I wouldnt wish to pay for the car knowing that I cant take it away for 12 days.

A4 Avant
When I knew the buyer was definately interested I got the DVLA to send the V5 away to put my plate on retention. I received a letter a couple of days later with the new registration for the car along with a new tax disc. I had new No. plates made. The guy who bought my Trophy drafted a letter confirming the sale of the car. He paid cash and took the car with him. As the V5 hadn't been returned by the DVLA (this is the bit that takes the time!) I agreed to fill out the green new keepers bit with the buyers details and post it back to the DVLA once I received it about 3 weeks later.

All that happened was he bought a car without the V5 which I forwarded on to him after the sale.

AMV8, Mk1 Golf
i bought my car on a private plate, i dont really know whats going on, joe ( old owner) came down last nigh, i gave him my v5 and MOT certificate so hopefully be ok to put my plates on it today

Carrera 4S. Clio 172. M5
It can all be done over the counter at your local DVLA office while you wait. It’s only a matter of getting all the documents together.
You should look at it as two separate transactions.

1. The current owner is making an application to retain the cherished mark. He completes form V778/1 and pays the fee of £105.

2. You are advising change of ownership by completing the V5 pt6 but instead of posting it, you hand it over the counter at the same time.

You must take the Tax disc for the car and MOT cert. if applicable.

The DVLA will issue a new number (the one originally assigned) and give you a Tax disc (MOT) with the new number and a form V948 to have the new plates made up.

They will allow you to use the vehicle until such times as you can get plates made up and will normally give you the old Tax disc to cover this, and a small addressed envelope to return it when you have done so.

A4 Avant
Brian, thats how my first retention went. With both the sale of my car and my brothers the procedure was different. The part where your new registration No. and new tax disc are no longer issued over the counter. They are sent via post, which took a few days!

This may be different for car dealers though!

Carrera 4S. Clio 172. M5
Brian, thats how my first retention went. With both the sale of my car and my brothers the procedure was different. The part where your new registration No. and new tax disc are no longer issued over the counter. They are sent via post, which took a few days!

This may be different for car dealers though!

I dont know why, I have done this just recently on 2 familly cars and walked out with the change completed.
I am not a dealer and I use the Peterborogh Office. perhaps its different in some areas.

A4 Avant
It could well be to do with different offices Brian. I dealt with the brimingham office twice mid to end of last year. Hope they weren't fobbing me off as it caused loads of hassle at the time!

106 GTi
I think it is down to the local office you go to, a few on here have been told they can not do private reg bit's where as at other offices there have been no problems. I have always done all the transfers etc there and then at the local Worcester office without any problems.

Carrera 4S. Clio 172. M5
I think it is down to the local office you go to, a few on here have been told they can not do private reg bit's where as at other offices there have been no problems. I have always done all the transfers etc there and then at the local Worcester office without any problems.

Hi Rich, as I was trying to say before the site crashed.....I think you are spot on....local yokel problems...

AMV8, Mk1 Golf
so if all the docs are taken to the DVLA today to get the private reg transfered off my car , i can put the original plates on today?

Carrera 4S. Clio 172. M5
so if all the docs are taken to the DVLA today to get the private reg transfered off my car , i can put the original plates on today?

Well I would say YES based on my own recent actions, but it sounds like it may vary from place to place.

Cooper S JCW
It must be down to each office as dvla Trafford wouldn't do it there and then but they did do it in February!!!!

Black 182 + Recaros
Talk about disjointed. Some of these government offices are run by muppets. Come to think about it, the country is run by muppets. And to think I voted for them. I must be a muppet myself.

Lotus Elise 111R
It can all be done over the counter at your local DVLA office while you wait. It’s only a matter of getting all the documents together.
You should look at it as two separate transactions.

1. The current owner is making an application to retain the cherished mark. He completes form V778/1 and pays the fee of £105.

2. You are advising change of ownership by completing the V5 pt6 but instead of posting it, you hand it over the counter at the same time.

You must take the Tax disc for the car and MOT cert. if applicable.

The DVLA will issue a new number (the one originally assigned) and give you a Tax disc (MOT) with the new number and a form V948 to have the new plates made up.

They will allow you to use the vehicle until such times as you can get plates made up and will normally give you the old Tax disc to cover this, and a small addressed envelope to return it when you have done so.

I use Brighton DVLA, they are great and it works just as simply as you have described Brian.

What I do for safety, to ensure my plate is safe and to stop all this grief, is to do the plate transfer prior to putting the car up for sale, then the new owner can have the car with all the docs and they are happy. Then simply buy the new car and put my plate, easy!

Carrera 4S. Clio 172. M5
I am amazed that others have had problems, it does show a basic inconsistency in the service across the country.