ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Problems with your 197?

Brisol my lover..
I have had a few problems with my 07 197, all of them i have had fixed or currently being fixed by Renault with out any problems.
As some of you know i work for Renault and as prob most of you will say i should have known better but i thought the new clio looked like quite a good solid reliable car....i think i may have been wrong:eek:

List of repairs.

1. New glove (old glove box dropped out of line)
2. New gear box ( This is a common prob in the early 197 now have the later box from a R27)
3. New Rubbers around the drivers door. ( all split)
4 New front seat base. (Not Recaros. The metal frame comes through the foam)
5.Water leak in Boot.( water filled up the jack and wheel brace holder, made the carpet wet and then all the backing fell off:eek: )
6. Brakes. ( Sqeeks.This usually comes as standard on Renaults, but i thought as they were Brembo's this might not happen....i was wrong)

Last edited:

seb

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio trophy
Re: Problems with your 197????

not had any of those, esp the gearbox and mine is from nov 2006.

the brakes is a common thing. was it at low speed from the rears? if so i did have that but went after a few hundred miles from new.

seb

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio trophy

hmmm unlucky tbh.

i've done 21k

Iridium

Honorary Member
ClioSport Club Member
  Former R27 & Mk1 V6 owner

Mines a June 07, I've only owned it since May. The only problem I've had was a knackered shock, that it had when I got it. Bought it from Baden Powell Honda in Scunthorpe who failed to notice it during their 100 point check, or whilst they changed the front tyres before I picked it up...

Renault dealer diagnosed the shock straight away, after I had noticed the problem on the drive home from collecting the car, and fixed it under warranty along with some arm end or something that had play in it. Apparently I wouldn't have noticed that but they did it anyway because it was under warranty heh.

White 197

Our 1st 197 (an import) did 8,000 miles in 5 months and was faultless. Not one single trip to the dealer and used 3/4 litre of oil.

Our 2nd 197 (uk dealer supplied) has so far done 7,500 in 5.5 months.

So far it has been into the garage twice and I think it needs another trip.

1 Trip to dealer for problems with passenger door hinge, damaged raider wheel, faulty glovebox and ecu fault forcing car into limp home mode.

2. Back into dealer for faulty hinge to be replaced and passenger Recaro not locking in place

Now it is in need of another visit as we appear to have an issue with the brake pedal going quite hard under braking.

So far the Recaro's are holding up, but i'm not sure how long that will last for.

It also has used so far 1.5 litres of oil and if I went out to check it now I could easily put another 1/4 litre in it.

We certainly won't be having another one, mainly because we need to be able to tow. If we didn't have that requirement I still don't think we would have another and I do regret us not buying the Impreza WRX we were looking at.

The Chubby Pirate

ClioSport Club Member
  Golf R

I have had a few problems with my 07 197, all of them i have had fixed or currently being fixed by Renault with out any problems.
As some of you know i work for Renault and as prob most of you will say i should have known better but i thought the new clio looked like quite a good solid reliable car....i think i may have been wrong:eek:

:nono:

ST

My R27 has done just over 10k and coming up for a year old, its been flawless, booked in on the 29th for its 12k/1st year service, i had it services at 6k, tho its used nearly all the oil that was put in at 6k, due to it being quite high revving i guess??

The Chubby Pirate

ClioSport Club Member
  Golf R

My R27 has done just over 10k and coming up for a year old, its been flawless, booked in on the 29th for its 12k/1st year service, i had it services at 6k, tho its used nearly all the oil that was put in at 6k, due to it being quite high revving i guess??

Maybe its a Honder injun thats in it and they never told you:eek:

ST

Maybe its a Honder injun thats in it and they never told you:eek:

Lol maybe matey..

Nah i think i've just been 'blessed' with a good one..

The Chubby Pirate

ClioSport Club Member
  Golf R

aye sounds like the one this lad that posted the thread got one that was made on a friday afternoon lol

I had two new Recaros fitted in my R27. They weren't that worn, the subframes were rusting though. Hemming in Chichester got me new seats and subframes - so I wasn't complaining.

C63 AMG

'It's a Renault' keeps going round and round my head. The latest Renault claims to be a 4x4 on the outside and a Renault on the inside. So it'll tax you to death and fall apart like a leper.

Golf R

I had two new Recaros fitted in my R27. They weren't that worn, the subframes were rusting though. Hemming in Chichester got me new seats and subframes - so I wasn't complaining.

i also had a new passenger seat and subframe fitted for a rusted subframe - madness really!

White 197

Ah hello Rex, nice to see you.

We are all asking why you were banned. Oh and we are all missing you, but it's falling on deaf ears.

Alastair.

ClioSport Club Member
  986'S 172ph1+182FF

ANYBODY EXPERIENCED REAL BAD JUDDERING WHEN COLD, WHEN TRYING TO DRIVE MY MUMS 57PLATE F1 FROM COLD, IT KANGAROOS LIKE FOOK UP THE RAOD, ONCE ITS WARM IT FINE. PUT IT ON CLIP AT WORK N NOTHING!

C63 AMG

My 57 plate 197 (which I owned for 6 weeks) had a loose door interior door handle after 3 weeks. Renault's designers are morons.

Daniel

ClioSport Moderator
  Whichever has fuel

Bailey, that is the single most common problem.

Renault know about it and its to do with emmisions while the car is cold. Something about its tested for co2 emissions within the the first 5 minutes of starting it.

There is a release note from Renault somewhere.

Alastair.

ClioSport Club Member
  986'S 172ph1+182FF

Bailey, that is the single most common problem.

Renault know about it and its to do with emmisions while the car is cold. Something about its tested for co2 emissions within the the first 5 minutes of starting it.

There is a release note from Renault somewhere.

ah i see, i dont really work on the 197s 2 be honest, never heard of that complaint either

C63 AMG

And adding slightly better suspension, seats which fall apart and a diffuser which does little is not 'designing' a car from scratch. But don't think their oversights are limited to the 197. The Trophy (and 182 in general) is riddled with design faults. The position of the starter motor, the way the dash rattles when it isn't moving and the way the front windscreen doesn't quite fit.

They have made a great hot hatch, but they haven't designed it very well. But then again it is cheap for the immense amount of benefit you get from thrashing it. So from that perspective it is an astounding achievement. Just not a well thought out one, ironically.

not a 197 just a mk3 but my glove box is misaligned too....easy fix?

and squeaky breaks yes!

Iridium

Honorary Member
ClioSport Club Member

What is this door handle problem you speak of?

I think I've been lucky with mine, as besides a broken shock (it had that when I got it, 2nd hand 9 months old from a Honda dealer - Renault diagnosed and replaced under warranty very quickly) I haven't had any problems *touch wood*. I don't even get the kangerooing - although I did experience it in a Cup I test drove. It's done about 13.5k now, and it feels loads better than the nearly new ones I tested. It's faster than they were as well hehe! The economy seems to be towards the high end of what people report, so again I guess they get better with running in.

I think it's a real shame you guys are unhappy with yours, and rightly so, I'd be the same if I'd had all those niggles :( Makes me think possibly the previous owner of mine got a lot sorted under warranty, then after all that had had enough heh.

Gaz_

ClioSport Club Member
  Extreme mode

Mines fine. Had the AC fault were as the ecu shuts it down as it thinks its going to seize, been in on warrenty, been fine so far. Re squeeking brakes..... why do people think this is a 'fault'? You want big 4 pots with hard compounds for good brakes, the trade off is they may sqeel ever so slightly when cold? Hardly a fault is it? A fault is if they dont work etc. Gearbox on mine is fine, just turned over 22k yesterday, love the thing tbh!!! soooooo much more refinement than the MK2's. I have previously had a 172 cup and cup packed 182.

Gaz_

ClioSport Club Member
  Extreme mode

And adding slightly better suspension, seats which fall apart and a diffuser which does little is not 'designing' a car from scratch. But don't think their oversights are limited to the 197. The Trophy (and 182 in general) is riddled with design faults. The position of the starter motor, the way the dash rattles when it isn't moving and the way the front windscreen doesn't quite fit.

They have made a great hot hatch, but they haven't designed it very well. But then again it is cheap for the immense amount of benefit you get from thrashing it. So from that perspective it is an astounding achievement. Just not a well thought out one, ironically.

Pmsl!!! Just because you ahd a faulty starter motor on the side of the mototrway, its the baddest designed car ever. I've had various Renaultsport Clios since 2004. Never had any starter motor issues, and its not a comon fault..... you bang on about it every week, depressed? You really should jump some Korean/jap crap 1.1 supermimi for a few weeks. Your posts are :rolleyes: and tiresome.

C63 AMG

Pmsl!!! Just because you ahd a faulty starter motor on the side of the mototrway, its the baddest designed car ever. I've had various Renaultsport Clios since 2004. Never had any starter motor issues, and its not a comon fault..... you bang on about it every week, depressed? You really should jump some Korean/jap crap 1.1 supermimi for a few weeks. Your posts are :rolleyes: and tiresome.

Your spelling and grammar mistakes are tiresome. And it wasn't my starter motor; it was a friend's. The worst designed car ever is probably the Citreon 2CV or the VW Beetle.

I have mentioned the starter motor once on this forum and once on Renaultsport.co.uk. So your counting skills aren't perfect either.

C63 AMG

And another thing...

If you read the entire thread properly I was actually saying that the 197 (indeed all RenaultSport models) is a beautifully flawed machine worthy of both our praise and frustration.

renaultsport clio 197 cup

got the squeaky brakes and the cold-judder but ok when warmed up problems.dealer has no answers for these problems.ive told them i didnt pay out over15 grand for a car to stutter and have squeaky brakes.my car currently sits garaged and im lookin at a 172.arnold shark arent interested in the slightest.bunch of strokers

C63 AMG

My 197's brakes never squeaked and it never had the kangaroo problem. I bought it from new in November 2007.

I would look to buy a Trophy if I were you. By far the best RS Clio produced. It is also the best looking.

Mondeo TDCI 130

My 197's brakes never squeaked and it never had the kangaroo problem. I bought it from new in November 2007.

I would look to buy a Trophy if I were you. By far the best RS Clio produced. It is also the best looking.

Noooooo!!!! Behave..........:eek: :rasp:

Iridium

Honorary Member
ClioSport Club Member

Trophy is the best, and the best looking, in your opinion. I disagree, I think the new RS Clios have made the old ones look dated. That's just my opinion, I'm not asking anyone to agree. I also prefer the drive of the R27 to the other RS Clios, because it's more composed, more planted and inspires more confidence, more of the time. We've had this discussion a million times, some people prefer that, some people prefer the twitchy, light rear end nature of the Trophy, as if you're confident with it, and you know what you're doing, it can be a lot of fun.

In the past, I've always cured squeaky brakes with a good load of copper grease on the back of the pads. Although it seems that some people say it's the pad compound that's causing the squeaks so obviously, it wouldn't be any help there. But again, I seem to have a lucky one (or one that's had a lot of warranty work heh...) as I don't get the squeaky brakes or judder.

I have noticed a couple of times when I've shut the door that the door pull has creaked slightly... Hmmm... I hope it's not about to fall off in my hand heh. Never mind, I get so much enjoyment out of the car when I drive it, it's difficult to let things cloud it for me :)

Dan

C63 AMG

I have noticed a couple of times when I've shut the door that the door pull has creaked slightly... Hmmm... I hope it's not about to fall off in my hand heh. Never mind, I get so much enjoyment out of the car when I drive it, it's difficult to let things cloud it for me :)

Dan

That is exactly what I was referring to: the sheer excitment an RS delivers renders its many faults null and void.

Iridium

Honorary Member
ClioSport Club Member

Ah but I haven't had 'many faults' :) So I can live with a creaky door for the fun it gives me. But as I say, people that have had loads of problems, I completely understand why they're fed up with them. I would be too, it's just natural. Also, there is that disappointment that it's not everything you had hoped when it's continually developing faults :( But it's the same with any of the RS Clios, it's just the nature of the beast, they're high powered, small French cars - if you get a good one nothing else will do. If you get one that keeps throwing new problems at you, they're terrible cars and you buy a Civic Type R, and then love it's reliability.

But you always also remember how much fun your Clio was on the days when it was working 100%, the roads were empty and you just blasted to your destination with a huge "I'm a Driving God" grin on your face :D

White 197

Well my bag of **** of a 197 now appears to have rust spots on the tailgate along with it being discoloured along with the rear bumper.

If it were a horse, i'd shoot it.

Gaz_

ClioSport Club Member
  Extreme mode

Well my bag of **** of a 197 now appears to have rust spots on the tailgate along with it being discoloured along with the rear bumper.

If it were a horse, i'd shoot it.

They are not from the car. They come from the docks where they are stored/having the alarm fitted.......... There are be some metal/railworks near by iirc. Bit of detailing clay and your sorted.