ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Problem with MK1 172

BMW M3
Hi guys

I have just bought a 2000 Clio 172 and it has a slight issue.

Basically its got a bit of an idling problem - say you have just been driving, when you slow down and stop the car will stay at about 2-2,500 rpm for about 5 seconds and then drop back down to about 1000-500rpm. Also when your just stationary it does idle a bit strange sometimes - up and down between 500-1500rpm.

Also when you accelerate off at speed the power delivery feels a bit 'wobbly' at about 3-4,000 rpm but fine over or below this. The clutch, gearbox etc. all feel fine and when you disengage the clutch the engine all revs/sounds all ok.

The guy who sold me the car said it needed a new tension pulley - do you think this would cure the problem? im not at all mechanically minded to be honest but the car was too cheap to pass up and thought I would take a punt on it. My mate is a mechanic and is due to look but thought I would ask the experts first!

Thanks a lot

S3, HD Nightster
Its pretty easy anyway, just take it off, give it a good clean, get the carbon and dirt off then degrease it paying attention to the spring just below it.

Titanium 182
Undo your airbox silicone elbow in the engine bay then its 4 bolts to take it off There is a electric plug that needs undoing too.

clean the inside with some WD40 and a rag and refit - done.