ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Price on a ph1 172 37k on clock fsh?

Black Gold with cup packs
I am looking at a Ph1 in mint condition with 37k in silver on the clock with full service history, one concern is the book is stamped up claiming all belts ect were done but the owner claims that the reciept has been lost. How much should I be paying, it is advertised for a I think rather expensive £3294.. Any info appreciated? and how do they compare in build and reliability in comparision to the 1*2?

Last edited:
  audi a6 3.0tdi
I wouldn't pay more than 2.5k. Its not worth paying over the odds for a low mileage one as they usually end up needing just as much work as higher mileage ones. It mainly only wear and tear parts that goes i've got a ph1 on 112k and its needed rear dampers, a coolant pipe and an exhaust. these are all what you would expect of a car that age.

Black Gold with cup packs
I wouldn't pay more than 2.5k. Its not worth paying over the odds for a low mileage one as they usually end up needing just as much work as higher mileage ones.

What type of work and cost will be involved 'usually'?

A ANIMAL
I am looking at a Ph1 in mint condition with 37k in silver on the clock with full service history, one concern is the book is stamped up claiming all belts ect were done but the owner claims that the reciept has been lost. How much should I be paying, it is advertised for a I think rather expensive £3294.. Any info appreciated? and how do they compare in build and reliability in comparision to the 1*2?

Just Paid £3200 for one on a X plate 29,000 miles

Thought it was a decent price tbh

If its got FSH ask him where the Cambelt was done and give them a ring for piece of mind, they should have there own records for the work.

ForceIndia

ClioSport Club Member
  Gentlemans spec 200
Just re-read, the belts would be an issue for me. As said, speak to the garage where it was done.

Ph1
Leaving the belts aside i reckon its a pretty decent price. You should be able to knock it down to 3k.

There might be a lot of cheap ph1's kicking about but are they any good? Topic the other day on here says not...

3k for a good one surely cant be sniffed at

BMW E46 330i Touring
You don't seem too sure what you're after mate, I'd definitely recommend not rushing to get a car just because you feel that you need one ASAP.

A low mileage Ph1 in mint condition, £3k of anyone's money IMO. Mint Pug 106's can fetch that so no reason why 172's can't.

They are 8/9 years old, though, so expect them to cost you a bit in wear and tear parts, regardless of mileage.

Clio 172 Ph1
Mine cost £1800, 62k on the clock. s**t loads of receipts. Black, and awesome
Sounds like a bargin peach there Nick.Ive had my black beauty 'bout 2months now.
£2g on a late X with 79k & folder full of bills.I was happy with that,but 2mths down the line i ***kin love it!!

The Chubby Pirate

ClioSport Club Member
  Golf R
I think its worth 3000 if the belts aren't done and. 2750 ;if they aren't!

The Phase 1 isn't any more un-reliable than the rest of the Rs range imo

Coil packs are a common fault as are window regulators. Bar these and so long as its been cherished it should be fine.

The exhausts across the 1*2 range are rubbish in general!

Vw caddy tdi
Beware low milers need monies spent on them too. Some very good prices above tho welcome to minority ph1 ownership enjoy. Coman parts that can need replacing are dampers, bottom arms, rb bushes, rack ends/inners, exhaust, disks/pads, tyres, wheel bearings, engine mounts, driveshafts, under passenger seat air bag wiring and cam/aux belts all addsup.

Last edited:
  Ph1
Beware low milers need monies spent on them too. Some very good prices above tho welcome to minority ph1 ownership enjoy. Coman parts that can need replacing are dampers, bottom arms, rb bushes, rack ends/inners, exhaust, disks/pads, tyres, wheel bearings, engine mounts, driveshafts, under passenger seat air bag wiring and cam/aux belts all addsup.

Crikey, you paint a bleak picture there lol

Main key area is the cam and auxiliary belts plus pulleys and tensioner. If these are fine the rest is usually down to wear and tare.

Common faults, well, one i read most about on here and have experienced is the throttle body / cable high idle reving up thing. Pretty easy and cheap to fix.