ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Previous owner

Pug 206 SW, 172 CUP
Have bought HK52 ZGJ. It's a 172 cup and wondered if any of the previous owners reside on here. Have searched but nothing comes up. This car has had a far amount spent on it in the last few years. Was traded in for a trophy in Kidderminster with a misfire, knocking and a very stiff and sloppy B+M quickshift.

Thanks.

Pug 206 SW, 172 CUP
It's had a hard life as a family wagon but it's got a lot going for it :)

Previous owner parted with almost 2 grand at a very reasonable and capable Renault dealer that I've used in the past and it's had plenty of new parts on top of that, flew through it's last mot and it's got new headlights. I'll have spent just under 200quid on top and it's all sorted for my needs.

Interior took the most beating but it's stood up well and i haven't started cleaning it properly yet.

I'll be taking it to keevil airfield on 9th June to give it a good run and see if anything comes out the woodwork. On the road it pulls well, stops well and corners like it should so fingers crossed.

IMAG0693.jpg

IMAG0691.jpg

Screenshot_2014-04-26-18-11-072.jpg

Blue calipers and black wheel aren't great as I like the standard cars look but it looks presentable in the flesh!

Last edited:
  Pug 206 SW, 172 CUP
Yes about six weeks ago in Kidderminster. Had a misfire, The quickshift was as stiff as feck, Top engine mounts were tired, the rear discs were a little rusty and all the wheels needed balancing but they were all cheap fixes so we knocked 100 quid off and went for it. Turned out to be a cracked coilpack casing had allowed the coils inside to rot. Both top engine mounts were well past it, rear discs cleaned up well enough with some heavy braking. Had wheels balanced last weekend, a secondhand tyre as one was on the wear bars on the inside on the rear and tracking checked and now it's all sorted and runs really well. I bought some mats for it and a rear bumper to get rid of the cut out and some of the glue (I assume) mess.

It's now booked on an airfield track day on the 9th of june to use up the rest of the tyres to check all is fine.

Picked up missing receipt from platinum Renault in trowbridge in the week and a litre of Oil for a top up and wipers will be collected next week.

Gearbox leaks but it's not too bad and easy to top up and check. Was only 100ml down from level hole.

Was it yours?

Pug 206 SW, 172 CUP
You may have seen my dads silver 182 FF a couple of years ago. That one had a lot of work done at your work and really went well :) One of the main reasons we took the plunge on this one. The interior on this one has seen better days and the window clunks on the way down but it's good enough to be used as a shared weekend/track day car with my dad.

Alastair.

ClioSport Club Member
  986'S 172ph1+182FF
Yes about six weeks ago in Kidderminster. Had a misfire, The quickshift was as stiff as feck, Top engine mounts were tired, the rear discs were a little rusty and all the wheels needed balancing but they were all cheap fixes so we knocked 100 quid off and went for it. Turned out to be a cracked coilpack casing had allowed the coils inside to rot. Both top engine mounts were well past it, rear discs cleaned up well enough with some heavy braking. Had wheels balanced last weekend, a secondhand tyre as one was on the wear bars on the inside on the rear and tracking checked and now it's all sorted and runs really well. I bought some mats for it and a rear bumper to get rid of the cut out and some of the glue (I assume) mess.

Picked up missing receipt from platinum Renault in trowbridge in the week and a litre of Oil for a top up and wipers will be collected next week.

Gearbox leaks but it's not too bad and easy to top up and check. Was only 100ml down from level hole.

Was it yours?

Nope, wasnt mine but i did fek loads of work on it over a period of 6 months, it was forever in lol. Rear plate and headlights failed the mot recently, we all had a giggle about the rear number plate being glued on by the previous person. Oh yea it did have some massive white 17s when it was in our dealings. The chap who owned it just spent spent spent lol.

That short shift was terrible and it had some strange quick fit exhaust fitted.

Engine is sweet though, no leaks which is quite rare, and it felt like a quick one to.

Pug 206 SW, 172 CUP
Replaced nylon gearbox linkage bush (stupid little soddy b*****d it is to fit!!), gearshift conrod and greased it all up as it was all bone dry and quickshift works ok now. It has the early type linkage so it has a slightly worn pin and so still has a bit of play and I didn't appreciate the fun of trying to get the early type rubber protector off (stretch fit) so I could get in their and repair the small hole in it.

Will replace the worn pin when I have the time to investigate changing to the later type.

Alastair.

ClioSport Club Member
  986'S 172ph1+182FF
You may have seen my dads silver 182 FF a couple of years ago. That one had a lot of work done at your work and really went well :) One of the main reasons we took the plunge on this one. The interior on this one has seen better days and the window clunks on the way down but it's good enough to be used as a shared weekend/track day car with my dad.

Older bloke? Think he was in the process of buying a motor home or something?

Alastair.

ClioSport Club Member
  986'S 172ph1+182FF
That's the one. Some git keyed the Clio from front to back so he only got 2200 for it.

Yes, thats the one, was a well sorted 182, spoke with your Dad a few times, properly kept that up together, think i replaced the front shockers and lower arms just before he sold it.

Pug 206 SW, 172 CUP
Nope, wasnt mine but i did fek loads of work on it over a period of 6 months, it was forever in lol. Rear plate and headlights failed the mot recently, we all had a giggle about the rear number plate being glued on by the previous person. Oh yea it did have some massive white 17s when it was in our dealings. The chap who owned it just spent spent spent lol.

That short shift was terrible and it had some strange quick fit exhaust fitted.

Engine is sweet though, no leaks which is quite rare, and it felt like a quick one to.

Had bad was the rear wheel bearing? It doesn't make itself known but my spider sense could hear something amiss on the journey home. On my list to get a set of discs and pads for the rear as they are cheap and not an arse to replace.

Alastair.

ClioSport Club Member
  986'S 172ph1+182FF
Had bad was the rear wheel bearing? It doesn't make itself known but my spider sense could hear something amiss on the journey home. On my list to get a set of discs and pads for the rear as they are cheap and not an arse to replace.

I dont think i did the m.o.t. If you look on the m.o.t sheet the bloke who did it should have been S.D Bosworth, our mater tech.

Pug 206 SW, 172 CUP
Yes, thats the one, was a well sorted 182, spoke with your Dad a few times, properly kept that up together, think i replaced the front shockers and lower arms just before he sold it.

He's retired now so not got the money to burn. Hence the cup and me fixing it. Although I plan to get it in when the service is due to keep it all up together. Standard cups are getting rare and that's how I plan to run it. The quickshift will go eventually and the wheel will become silver if funds allow.

Did you do the rear caliper? Seized or the nipple snapped off?

Pug 206 SW, 172 CUP
Receipts are at my dads. Rear wheel bearing was adjusted but still had slight play. Passed MOT with an advisory on rear brakes light being slightly affected by another light. Assuming it's an earth issue like my Peugeot!

Alastair.

ClioSport Club Member
  986'S 172ph1+182FF
He's retired now so not got the money to burn. Hence the cup and me fixing it. Although I plan to get it in when the service is due to keep it all up together. Standard cups are getting rare and that's how I plan to run it. The quickshift will go eventually and the wheel will become silver if funds allow.

Did you do the rear caliper? Seized or the nipple snapped off?

No i didn't do that, i remember it being done however. Im sure i did the cambelt, and dephaser about a year ago. Then it came back a few months later as the water pump collasped so that got replaced along with another aux belt and fresh coolant.

Alastair.

ClioSport Club Member
  986'S 172ph1+182FF
Receipts are at my dads. Rear wheel bearing was adjusted but still had slight play. Passed MOT with an advisory on rear brakes light being slightly affected by another light. Assuming it's an earth issue like my Peugeot!

Ahh yes, think it had some play in the bearing so it was re-torqued but still had some slight play iirc. Rear lights will just need the pins in the plug adjusting.

Pug 206 SW, 172 CUP
He may have been the glue master but thank god for his wallet. Your computer recommended the coolant be changed at the next service and the brake fluid. I assume it's just whats on that standard service interval. Do you just clamp the line and top up for a caliper change or run fresh through? I can put a fluid change on my list or book it in if funds allow. My Peugeot estate is leaking water into the boot somehow and gotta sort that and see if the aircon is dead first before I sack off DIY on the clio.

Pug 206 SW, 172 CUP
Ahh yes, think it had some play in the bearing so it was re-torqued but still had some slight play iirc. Rear lights will just need the pins in the plug adjusting.

Adjusting? What is this wizadry you speak of? Having even had the rear clusters off to have a look yet. That'll make more sense when I see the pins? My Peugeot ones just rotted away but Peugeot helpfully provide several alternative places to attach a new earth easily! like they knew it would fail!?

Alastair.

ClioSport Club Member
  986'S 172ph1+182FF
He may have been the glue master but thank god for his wallet. Your computer recommended the coolant be changed at the next service and the brake fluid. I assume it's just whats on that standard service interval. Do you just clamp the line and top up for a caliper change or run fresh through? I can put a fluid change on my list or book it in if funds allow. My Peugeot estate is leaking water into the boot somehow and gotta sort that and see if the aircon is dead first before I sack off DIY on the clio.

Fluid would have been run through until all air was out, not a complete flush.

Alastair.

ClioSport Club Member
  986'S 172ph1+182FF
Adjusting? What is this wizadry you speak of? Having even had the rear clusters off to have a look yet. That'll make more sense when I see the pins? My Peugeot ones just rotted away but Peugeot helpfully provide several alternative places to attach a new earth easily! like they knew it would fail!?

Yea, when you disconnect the rear lamps have a look and the terminals on the plug on the loom, pins just need pushing inward slightly to make a better connection.

Pug 206 SW, 172 CUP
Anyway I need to take the Cup for it's weekly run, do an O/S/R tyre pressure check (s**t accelera tyre keeps losing a couple of PSI. Be glad when it dies.) chuck some V-power in and then chuck it back under it's cover. It's parked under a tree on my drive. So much bird s**t, seeds and sap to clean off if I don't use the cover!!

I'm sure you'll see the car again in at some point. less glue and no exhaust cut out but still not with a 100% bumper. It will see as much track time as I can afford this year!

And thanks for the good work. Finding a Clio with a timing belt not put on by the "my favourite colour is ham guy!" is nigh on impossible. One on Ebay at the moment, genuine parts, fitted by a mobile mechanic and needs "the fuelling resetting".

Pug 206 SW, 172 CUP
Yea, when you disconnect the rear lamps have a look and the terminals on the plug on the loom, pins just need pushing inward slightly to make a better connection.

Great. I like simple fixes. I was worried there was something weird and French going on. Renaults are not Peugeots! I must remember that. Car is at Keevil airfield on the 9th June and i'll be putting your work to the test. Off to remove the cover and dodge the dried s**t.