ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Pressure Washer

dCi 100

I want to buy a pressure washer to wash my wee baby with because I am such a lazy mare I dont like to exert too much effort. I have been looking at the Karcher K090 which is £49.99 from Argos or Halfords. I have tended to veer towards Karcher as I know they are more than reputable and a good make. Can anyone else recommend any manufacturers that make good quality, light weight washers as I am clueless.

Ta :cool:

tiTTy & SV650

My dad bought a decent halfords one recently, probably get a higher specced lesser brand for same money as a bottom of the range karcher? Paying for the name to some extent.

dCi 100

Halfords do one that is £34.99, its quite small and blue but it is very heavy. I guess this will be the case with most though?

Ziel Nurburgring

Morning Elle.

I wouldnt bother, you can borrow mine if you want to try it out. Once youve rinsed the car with it, you still have to sponge it down and then wash it off again as they dont remove hardly any dirt. Your better off with a hose and sponge

You got mail......

dCi 100

So a bucket and sponge and the trusty hose is the way to go then? What is the point of a pressure washer if they dont work then. I thought it would be like using the jetwash at the garage?

If you hold the pressure washer too close to the paintwork then you will more than likely damage the paint. Have you seen all the crap you can take off your patio and driveway with these things ? They can be very powerful.

I find they are good for wheels to get all the crap off but for the bodywork I would use a house and sponge IMHO.

tiTTy & SV650

Quote: Originally posted by Elle on 16 February 2005

So a bucket and sponge and the trusty hose is the way to go then? What is the point of a pressure washer if they dont work then. I thought it would be like using the jetwash at the garage?
the jet wash at the garage doesnt do much of a job cleaning the car, I too prefer the sponge and hose but unfortunately where I stay I need lots of buckets and a sponge, doh!

Ziel Nurburgring

They remove some of the hidden dirt in the shut lines and in the arches etc (places your sponge doesnt get). But you need to sponge it to get rid of the dirt itself for a shiney finish.

Plus, using a jetwash and brush will just scratch your paint in the long run.

Volvo S60 D5

Pressure wash gets the crap off!

Then wash it by hand, bucket and sponge :)

Then pressure wash it afterwards.

Job done!

TBH I rarely bother with the pressure washer!

I reverted back to using a hose and sponge due to the hassle of getting the pressure washer out of the garage and hooking it up. Its a waste of time unless your car is absolutely caked in mud and your wheels are like black or something...

Volvo S60 D5

Quote: Originally posted by badinvincible on 16 February 2005

I reverted back to using a hose and sponge due to the hassle of getting the pressure washer out of the garage and hooking it up. Its a waste of time unless your car is absolutely caked in mud and your wheels are like black or something...

Amen.

Yeah I would agree with that...........

172 cup TT

Quote: Originally posted by Daipac on 16 February 2005

I find they are good for wheels to get all the crap off but for the bodywork I would use a house and sponge IMHO.
i would try to avoid using a house to clean a car, pretty awkward...

Yep, thats the only time when I use a jetwash. Just to get the worst surface muck off the car. Still needs a proper wash after that though.

VaVa

Quote: Originally posted by Daipac on 16 February 2005

Yeah I would agree with that...........
Ditto. Used my pressure washer about three times and its not been out of the garage since. I just fit a smaller nozzle on the hosepipe to up the pressure a bit.

dk

911 GTS Cab

i used one at a gharage last week as i was too lazy to get the bucket and sponge out and it was useless, didnt really get rid of anything apart from the actual mud on the car, went home and washed it by bucket and sponge and wont be making that mistake again!

it depends what detergent you use i always use a pressure washer on mine but i use well good detergent so no need for any brushing.

Unless youre using a diesel powered washer, that heats the water, increases the pressure and can add TFR(traffic film remover) youre wasting your time and might as well grab a sponge and get to it!!

Megane R26

I find pressure washers good for a quickly cleaning alloys & under the arches, but apart from that a hose is good enough!

Vee dub

I agree with clio1400

I have a karscher one and its really good. I use the mid setting which isnt too powerful and its great for cleaning under the arches and removing all the dirt. Then i use a mitt t remove the remaining dirt (if there is any!) then shampoo and spray again.

Id get one

Tom

Clio v6

Do these things actually wash your car? I tried ours on the MPV and all it did was put water on the car but a little faster?

Soapy water and a good sponge/mit is what cleaned the car. Oh and as for these ones which come with a spinning brush. Would you dare to brush your paintwork?
I see my local Klean-o-Park is packed on a cruise day, but using those brushes will only result in your car looking like youve driven through a hedge?

dCi 100

I have no intention of brushing my car, especially as it is blick. I was thinking more for pre-rinse and apres-rinse but like a few of you have pointed out a hose will do the same.

Mercedes AMG GLE 53

Only time i use my pressure washer is to do the wheel arches. I value my paint too much so bucket and sponge it is for the bodywork

172 GTR

I have a 160 bar pressure washer worth £500 and you still have to use a bucket and sponge to get a good result. As the lads above said its good to get the thick off and do the arches with but thats about it.

[Edited by Danny P on 16 February 2005 at 4:07pm]

yeah the steam cleaners work very well use the one were me bro works sometimes. but ya still need the sponge and bucket for best results.

As some people have already said for best results i.e you dont want to get them horrible scratches you see on peoples cars in the sun. Then best result is to jet wash the car down ya local garage. (dont use the brush) take it straight home. get ya sponge and bucket, rinse the car quickly with the hose then clean away. then rinse with hose then leather off then go for a quick spin down the road to remove all the hidden water then back for a leather again. always gives me best results.

[Edited by bsimmer3000 on 16 February 2005 at 6:25pm]

arghhhhhhhh sponges dont fecking use them they shag paintwork. back onto the pressure washer thing yes steam cleaners are better but im more than happy with mine (karcher) it speeds things up a bit with pre rinsing then rinsing after lathering the car up also shifts alot of crap from under the sills/arches that a hose or the dreaded sponge wont.