ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Pressure plate hates me. Upgrade clutch kit or not?

Hello,

just a short story first, please bear with me. Car is fitted with:
- Quaife ATB
- lightened flywheel (bought from K-Tec)
- stock clutch (bought from K-Tec)

After like 2000 Km with this setup, the pressure plate goes wild, some parts from it decide to fly around in the process and perforate the gearbox. Oil spilling and so on. The good thing is there's no damage to the internals of the gearbox, but I do need another outer shell, so to speak :) Fun, fun, fun!

Anyway, as I have to change the clutch I'm in a bit of a dilemma, so here are some questions:

1. With this setup, should I upgrade the clutch or not? To me it sounds like a faulty pressure plate, but I wonder if the combo LSD + lightened flywheel + stock clutch is somehow bad and caused all this. The car doesn't make any huge torque or anything.

2. Any idea about an uprated clutch besides the K-Tec Group N one?

3. Anyone has any idea if the K-Tec Group N clutch is ok or not?

Thanks a bunch!

-Gearboxless

RS RIP
You really should speak to Godspeed about this, really.
I think he bought the same stuff you have , the quaife and all, and had the same problems:dead:

I'd be interested to find out what the problem is as I'm looking at the same set up further down the line, with a group N clutch but a different make than they advertise if ones available AP etc, don't think the ATB diff is the problem.

Regards Russ......

172 Ph1
Is there any update on this,
im looking at a lightened and balanced flywheel and stock clutch,
dont want problems in the future i can tell ya.

I'm fairly sure the Quaife LSD it's not the problem by itself. I have a couple of friends with LSDs on their different cars (Skoda etc.) with stock parts and zero problems. As famous as being unreliable the Clio is, I don't think the stress caused by the LSD is worth the damage.

Now... the mechanic I went with told me that the lightened flywheel means the pressure plate takes more of a beating, the shocks it has to withstand being more powerful.

I'm not an expert, but thinking about it a bit it does make sense. Given that the lighter flywheel has less rotational inertia, it stops spinning faster (revs drop more) when you press the clutch. This means that at every gear change, when you take the foot from the clutch and the pressure plate engages the disc, the speed difference between them it's higher than in the case of a normal flywheel, which will keep on spinning at higher speed.

Does it make sense? I'll try to gather more info, but I do have the feeling my older flywheel goes back.

I kind of kidnapped my own thread... :)

-Clutcher

When you say standard do you mean Renault OE clutch and standard flywheel lightened and balanced, or are they patern items, sorry to butt in on the thread, what clutch release bearing did you get with the kit?

Regards Russ.....

ITB'd MK1
i've seen a couple of standard clutches come apart actually, think all valeo. There's no reason they should, maybe a badly made batch