ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Pressed Plates On A PH2

Justin BBP

ClioSport Club Member
  Renault Clio 172 PH2
Thinking of putting Pressed Plates on my PH2 172, is it a good or bad look to go for.

What are peoples views on Pressed Plates on PH2 172's?

BMW M4; S1000 RR
Who cares what car it's on?

Non-standard number plates look tacky and you have a greater chance of being pulled by the police. If you think they look good enough to put up with that then go for it.

Non-standard number plates look tacky
I'd have to disagree - I have some plastic plain pressed plates from demonplates. same font etc and i find them to make the car look much more clean and smart.

081420b0.jpg

clio sport 172
I have French pressed plates on my 172 and I do like the look, the police won't be to happy if you get stopped by them tho

Justin BBP

ClioSport Club Member
  Renault Clio 172 PH2
Thanks for the link mate :)

Have you had any trouble with the police since you've had them?

legality wise i'd refer to my 2 threads:

first one where i asked about pressed plates...

http://www.cliosport.net/forum/showthread.php?644401-Pressed-plates-legal

second where i had a word with an officer regarding the plates...

http://www.cliosport.net/forum/showthread.php?649754-some-people-(police)-long-rant-then-question

basically in summary...

Right! Finally got this sorted! There is no mention of there being a problem with pressed metal plates having raised letters on the DVLA site so the officer was just trying to give me a ticket,But for anyone that has or gets pressed metal plates there are conditions they must meet!

First and foremost they must be standard colours (white/yellow with black letters)

Second they must be Charles Wright font, be the correct size and spacing,

Thirdly they need the company's name and postcode that made the plates,

Fourthly they MUST have this BSA 145 AUD number printed on them, (this signifies that they meet the british standards association's tests for reflectivity etc so they can be used for road use,

They also must be the normal size and carry the normal rules for plates aswell, so if it is missing any of those listed above they aren't legal!

Luckily mine have all of those so please check before buying :) if your's meet all of those and an officer tries to give you a ticket do not take an attitude with him, just explain that it meets those, and that they are perferctly legal for road use, if it does go further I would advise to take up a case against the points and fine, but again only if it meets all of those rules and saying some guy on CS told you will not suffice sadly so please have a read around yourself to confirm all of this before putting the plates on the car!

mine are completely legal and got them from here: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Pressed-M...CarParts_SM&hash=item1c1d5a5b55#ht_1567wt_986

hope this helps a bit fella :)

Justin BBP

ClioSport Club Member
  Renault Clio 172 PH2
I've got a pair of road legal 16" plates that are coming of my Astra Coupe and was thinking about fitting them instead, but not sure if they would suit the Clio due to the recess in the boot.

Coops Mk1

ClioSport Club Member
  Lots of Scrap...
I've had pressed plates on the turbo for 5 years now, been pulled once or twice but never even mentioned the plates, usually so confused with the semi slicks, stripped interior, cage, buckets, harnesses, battery in boot, plastic windows, the list goes on!lol! and as yet touch every bit of wood I own.....ahem....not been ticketed for any of my 'supah trix modz bruv'

Justin BBP

ClioSport Club Member
  Renault Clio 172 PH2
Finally ordered my plates from fancyplates.com.

Gone for 520mm x 90mm on the front and standard on the rear.