ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Powerflex black exhaust mount

Has anyone else fitted these to their 172/182?

I fitted one at weekend and hate it.... Not only was it an absolute pig to fit, you also get considerable resonance/vibration beyond 4k revs.

I'm going back to a standard Renault one and will have to put up with a bit of sag instead.

leedsboy

ClioSport Club Member
  Bean 182 + E70 X5
You talking about the back two mounts? If so, I don't know why people spend so much money on these Powerflex ones.

Admittedly a bit pikey but I used 2 sockets under one of the mounts and got the tips sitting EXACTLY how I wanted them for next to nothing.

You talking about the back two mounts? If so, I don't know why people spend so much money on these Powerflex ones.

Admittedly a bit pikey but I used 2 sockets under one of the mounts and got the tips sitting EXACTLY how I wanted them for next to nothing.

Yeah that's the one - although there's only one mount on a 172 (the 182 needs two). I used to use a socket (cable tied) in my mount too but I thought the Powerflex would be better. I was wrong! These are complete rubbish.

MRBILLYUK

ClioSport Club Member
  FF Jeden Osiem Dwa
I just got 2 new exhaust hangers and filled in the gaps with some of this high temp sealant so it was more soild but still flexible . They've been on the car for about 3 years now and still doing their job . First of all though , i put cable ties through all of the holes because the original rubber can peel away from the aluminium mount . 1 tube is easily enough to do 2 mounts with plenty left over.
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Granvill...915794&hash=item4d6e279276:g:~SYAAOSw-31aitqP

I just got 2 new exhaust hangers and filled in the gaps with some of this high temp sealant so it was more soild but still flexible . They've been on the car for about 3 years now and still doing their job . First of all though , i put cable ties through all of the holes because the original rubber can peel away from the aluminium mount . 1 tube is easily enough to do 2 mounts with plenty left over.
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Granvill...915794&hash=item4d6e279276:g:~SYAAOSw-31aitqP

Great idea, I might give this a go!

MRBILLYUK

ClioSport Club Member
  FF Jeden Osiem Dwa
Great idea, I might give this a go!
For the cost of a few cable ties and £5.99 it's worth doing , then you can forget about it . It might not look the prettiest job , but it works .
7DGKk6H.jpg

pwyPmXh.jpg

MRBILLYUK

ClioSport Club Member
  FF Jeden Osiem Dwa
Are the cable ties needed if it’s being filled with silicone anyway?
I used cable ties just as a precaution . I've seen the original rubbers just peel away and literally fall out of the aluminium bracket . This way , it can't fall out .

Louis

I Park Like a C**t
ClioSport Club Member
I used the red powerflex ones and got no noticeable added vibration. Everything else is black series powerflex though so maybe I just don't notice it!
They fitted really easily with a vice. Just need to make sure that all the old rubber is cut out and use fairy liquid on it all.
The only gripe I have is that the tips don't sit that high up. I'm going to modify the actual metal bracket part that these mount to that bolt onto the car when I get chance.

406 V6, Race Buggy
I made a custom one of those for my brother when he had the Clio, I'll see if I can find the CAD model but I can do you tailored stiffness/positioned ones if I find it.

406 V6, Race Buggy
Can't find it, it must have been before I switched CAD setups.
Anyone local got an old one, or some accurate dimensions?

Kev@KAM

ClioSport Trader
  Badass Toyota
You could use a drill and put some holes in it. Powerflex black really is only for dedicated track cars.

DaveDreads

aka Philomena Cunk aka Barry Shitpeas
ClioSport Club Member
I hate my Powerflex exhaust mount, all the vibration has been transferred to the boot lid and it's annoying as f*ck.

Click on any point in the vid and you'll hear it, now imagine the revs staying at that sweet spot in traffic or on the motorway, it got a little better when I removed the plastic boot trim, but it's still there all the time.

Louis

I Park Like a C**t
ClioSport Club Member
I hate my Powerflex exhaust mount, all the vibration has been transferred to the boot lid and it's annoying as f*ck.

Click on any point in the vid and you'll hear it, now imagine the revs staying at that sweet spot in traffic or on the motorway, it got a little better when I removed the plastic boot trim, but it's still there all the time.

Mines fine and definitely doesn't make that noise. Yours black or red?

DaveDreads

aka Philomena Cunk aka Barry Shitpeas
ClioSport Club Member
Red, I think over the years my exhaust has shifted slightly, so the mount has pulled it back to where it should be and it's took all the give out of making it essentially under stress, so even a tiny bit of vibration is amplified into the boot, i'm not really using the Clio as a daily atm so a weekend blast in it doesn't really annoy me, but at some point it's going in the bin and i'll silicone up a cheap ECP mount to replace it.

Kev@KAM

ClioSport Trader
  Badass Toyota
Red, I think over the years my exhaust has shifted slightly, so the mount has pulled it back to where it should be and it's took all the give out of making it essentially under stress, so even a tiny bit of vibration is amplified into the boot, i'm not really using the Clio as a daily atm so a weekend blast in it doesn't really annoy me, but at some point it's going in the bin and i'll silicone up a cheap ECP mount to replace it.
Pointless to bin it. Like I said. You can add some flex by drilling the bush. :D Thats free!

406 V6, Race Buggy
Anyone local to me want to be a test dummy for an uprated polyurethane one that doesn't also give you tinnitus and remove your fillings?

Good ideas guys. I will give it a go either drilling an extra hole in it or trying to bend the exhaust mount. No idea what I can use to bend the mount though as it seems mega strong!

406 V6, Race Buggy
Where are you based Rich?
I've an OE mount coming in the morning to remake my CAD model from, I'll probably have a prototype out after the weekend.

Where are you based Rich?
I've an OE mount coming in the morning to remake my CAD model from, I'll probably have a prototype out after the weekend.

Hi Phil, I'm down in Buckinghamshire unfortunately so I'm a bit of a trek from you :( I'm definitely interested in seeing the prototype though cheers!

406 V6, Race Buggy
Yeah, I used the honeycomb on his and it was perfect right up until he sold it, so I know that'll work well.
Although his was just flat outers and just got glued into the housing - I'm trying to make this one clip in to make it easier and give it enough to cope with the housing tolerances - I made a prototype today which fits nicely but I'm not quite happy with the clips yet, so I just need to work on those and with bringing the production time + costs down, as currently they'd be more than the powerflex ones - maybe with a shorter bush that actually fastens in or similar.

406 V6, Race Buggy
I could just do the simple ones with flat outers, rather than making a clip in one, as that would make it cheaper - they tap in with a mallet so they're pretty tight fitting - I just don't really want to find someone with a big stainless exhaust vibrates one loose :D
Although, I suppose you could just tie wrap it through the honeycomb, or add a bit of mastic when it goes in.

406 V6, Race Buggy
Et viola, I have also got a local victim/volunteer willing to trial them and keep popping back for me to check.
Although another wouldn't hurt, if someone is local.

ClioClubExhaustMounts.jpg
ClioClubExhaustMounts2.jpg
ClioClubExhaustMounts3.jpg

Looks superb! Wish I lived nearer.

These would fix so many people’s exhaust hanger issues on cliosport.net

406 V6, Race Buggy
I'd like to test them a bit longer to see if they retain okay and any refinements I need to make to suit different tolerances on the housings, creep over time, movement in the housing, etc - I do have a solution now that solidly bolts them in if need be, but I'm hoping to do without that to keep prices down - however if you're happy with a prototype pair as-is and giving me some regular feedback on them, PM me.

Otherwise it'll be a couple of weeks - I know the material/honeycomb lasts long term so it's just fitting I need to test - and then see about a group buy and what I'll need for trading a few of them here.

Last edited: