ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Power steering pump £240 + vat!

Clio 182
Ok so my power steering pump randomly failed on me on new year's eve. Me and my uncle fixed the problem as it was a pipe that was leaking from the rack to the pump but we thought it might not last and it broke again and fluid was everywhere when it broke again. On the way home it conked out as it looks like with having no fluid in, the bearings are boggered in the pump and it gave the impression of a siezed engine i.e. it wouldnt bump start.

After being quoted this much from reno, i rang some scrapyards and one guy said reno like to interchange parts between models so do you lot know if there is a pump of any other car that will fit? Also, the standard clio has electric power steering so one of those wont fit. Wondered if a 16v one would fit?

Cheers guys, your help will be much appreciated.

Pretty sure its the same pump in the all the Mk2 RS models isn't it?

Yep your right. The return pipe is different though.

The electric rack could fit easily enough just noone ever does it as you need to sort the aux belt out since you need to remove the PAS pump and keep the belt working.

172 Race Car
Pretty sure its the same pump in the all the Mk2 RS models isn't it?

The electric rack could fit easily enough just noone ever does it as you need to sort the aux belt out since you need to remove the PAS pump and keep the belt working.

Can u expand on this edde please?

Can u expand on this edde please?
Well the rack will fit computers cna be plugged in etc err noone does it unless they stick a bigger engine in a car which already has the electric rack its a good idea though saves drain on the car aux belt and simplifies it all.

172 Race Car
what about running an electric pump (from saxo etc) to run the original rack?

see this done on 205's

172 Race Car
thinking about my future plans, loosing a/c etc. thought it might be easier to sort the aux belt this way (with no pas pump) like the valer conversions do.

If not any sugestions for this?

thinking about my future plans, loosing a/c etc. thought it might be easier to sort the aux belt this way (with no pas pump) like the valer conversions do.

If not any sugestions for this?

Yep its an option only he coolent pump and alternator need to run easy eniough to make a simple belt setup for them.

172 Race Car
Then what would u do for pas? i thought about going to a manual rack but im not sure if that would be a good idea. (this is for my ph1 172 btw)

Then what would u do for pas? i thought about going to a manual rack but im not sure if that would be a good idea. (this is for my ph1 172 btw)

Me personaly I'd decide what I realy want but I'd bin the air con change to a nice simple coolent system then use the powerful rack and then use a cupaux belt type setup but realy I'd bin the 2.0 engine realy first off.

172 Race Car
cup setup would obviously be the best choice but im thinking of cost

what do u mean about cooling system?

i went to renault dealr for my 1.4 clio, after asking for silly money i hunted around a bit... Got one on ebay for tenner!! result :D

AUX belt powers the air con pump and since you'd want to bin that I'd want to also bin the whole setup for weight reasons so no condensor also no climate control/air con unit a nice simple heater matrix etc.

172 Race Car
of course, thats what im planing(to bin the condenser etc) just not sure what to do with the pas, would like to keep it i think

of course, thats what im planing(to bin the condenser etc) just not sure what to do with the pas, would like to keep it i think

The less thats there the less the power taken form the engine electric rack has advanatges (basically simple and it works no fluid etc) but looses as its work to fit plus looses feedback from the wheel)

172 Race Car
driven fully electric pas cars and not too keen, like u say loose feedback. so how about my previous idea of using electric/hydraulic pump from saxo etc.

engine doesnt have to drive it and would probably be straight forward to plumb up, wot u think?

driven fully electric pas cars and not too keen, like u say loose feedback. so how about my previous idea of using electric/hydraulic pump from saxo etc.

engine doesnt have to drive it and would probably be straight forward to plumb up, wot u think?

If you want a hydrolic rack I'd keep the stock setup much easier and it works.

172 Race Car
cup set up then if i want to loose the a/c comp. how do they do it on itb's?

You can keep air con if you want with itb's.

ITB's have no effect on the aux belt setup though.

Some clios have removed a/c to fit them. Im not planning itb's just Don't want the aircon, just want to run the pas off the aux belt, is cup set up the only way?

You can keep air con if you want with itb's.

ITB's have no effect on the aux belt setup though.

Some have removed it. Im not planning itb's just Don't want the aircon, just want to run the pas off the aux belt, is cup set up the only way?

Cup setup is designed for no tensioer (alternator is the tensioer as such) with coolent pump pas pump and alternator only driving off it.

Usless trying to redesign somehting which already exists and works IMO.

172 Race Car
will have to have a close look at one next time i see someone. sounds like it could be pricey tho?

will have to have a close look at one next time i see someone. sounds like it could be pricey tho?

ITB's with air con will add more to the cost just th extra work sorting the condenor etc

As for the cup setup tensioner yep its not cheap new best try second hand but its a great setup as its so simple to fix.