ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Power steering fluid loss/issue?

Clio Sport 172 Exclusive
Hi guys

Well, the wing-mirror was all sorted but I seem to have identified another small problem now...

There was a strange noise coming from the steering/wheels whenever I was on full lock and the engine was cold. I decided to check the power-steering fluid level and it seemed low so I topped it up and it took quite a bit of additional fluid. The noise immediately stopped and the steering was much lighter.

I wouldn't normally be worried but I've only had the motor a couple of months at most and I already topped it up once when I bought it - I guess I've used around half a litre of fluid in the time I've had it and I'm thinking that this is way too much for 'normal use'.

Is this a common problem on the 172's? Does anyone have any suggestions as to what the fault might be? I'm happy to take it into Renualt but I'd rather fix it myself if I can to save some cash!

Thanks in advance

Pete

C-VXR, T8 Map 220BHP
I’m not expert but I had a similar problem on my old fiesta.

Its leaking from somewhere so I basically inspected every part of the system from the fluid reservoir to the p/s pump.
Start from the reservoir and try to clean/ inspect all the plumping/pipes/tubes that lead to the pump.

In my case I had a rusty pipe that was leaking just before I reached the pump and it only cost a few ££ to replace. If it’s leaking from the pump itself it’s like to be expensive to fix.

I know this isn’t much help but worth a go. It may just be a £2.99 seal that’s corroded!

I don’t recall reading about any other 172 p/s probs.

I had one for 4 years and had no probs at least

i think i've read somewhere on here that leaks aren't uncommon. i've got two anyway.

as MillerLight, you need to have a good look through the system to find out where it's coming from. mine's leaking from the rack seals (the o/s gaiter is full of fluid) and one of the pipes on the front of the engine. neither are particularly cheap to fix.

Clio Sport 172 Exclusive
cheers for the pointers guys, guess it's time to get the overalls on! I don't think it's a major leak but having to top up every couple of months because it's making an audiable noise seems to indicate a problem somewhere. I shall investigate!

Thanks again, much appreciated.

172 FF
I got a leak on my power steering, one of the pipes had gone where it joins to the end connection. At first it was minor leakage, then after a few weeks it was coming out faster than you could pour it in :D
Cost me a bout £200 to get the pipe changed at a garage.