ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Power from a 182 NA engine

What the most amount of power people have got from a 182 naturally aspirated engine , would be nice to race in class A in hot hatch but would need around 260bhp which I thinks a bit ambitious

Matt

green

ClioSport Club Member
  Hi comp phase 1
Pure motorsport’s itb,forged bottom,cnc head and cams = reliable 240bhp
And that’s £7500. Or

£4500 if you do it yourself!

NorthloopCup

ClioSport Moderator
Probably around £15k to see those figures if its even possible,
@NorthloopCup will be the man to ask
Yeah 260 is possible and relatively easily tbf. You will need £££'s though. You'll need to rev it to way past 8k though, so we are talking 8500+. This will mean steel crank and rods obviously, along with a solid lifter top end. The block will start to twist at these rpm's/power outputs, so you'll need a girdle for the block. Did I mention dry sump? Nah thought not! Lol! I think you get the general idea.

220/230 is a piece of piss to get. 230/240 is reasonably easy to attain but costs a bit more to make it a reliable unit. It'll need a refresh halfway through a season though to keep it tip top.

MK7 Golf R, Clio 182
Whats needed for a reliable na 220-230 mate, and costs of parts/package?(not clioturbo)

Itb's/cams/headwork/forged internals to hit 230hp I think. Pure motorsport sells a entire engine kit that's good for 240hp. But you still need to buy their itb's/manifold etc probably around 10-12k in parts there

Daz...

ClioSport Club Member
  Inferno 182 Cup
7B0BA5A9-38EA-4BD6-A0A0-936CDF0E29CA.jpeg

RB Clio 182
Itb's/cams/headwork/forged internals to hit 230hp I think. Pure motorsport sells a entire engine kit that's good for 240hp. But you still need to buy their itb's/manifold etc probably around 10-12k in parts there
Wow, i didnt realise it was this much, ill be leaving it standard.

Hoofy

ClioSport Club Member
  Chase Racing Clio
We got 235 from a standard bottom end, with 421 cams, ITBs, a 182 manifold and custom exhaust, total cost was £2.5k, £1.5k of which was the throttle bodies which we built up ourselves and a replacement engine when one fails is pretty cheap. We're currently speccing another higher power spec engine with the same external components but with many internal upgrades and that is going to cost us another £2.5k and we're expecting over 250bhp, but we're more interested in the mid range torque rather than peak power figures, the power will just be a consequence of the pursuit for torque.

In conclusion, you can get big power for under £6k, but you need to be prepared to do most of it yourself!

Russ Rallye

ClioSport Club Member
What the most amount of power people have got from a 182 naturally aspirated engine , would be nice to race in class A in hot hatch but would need around 260bhp which I thinks a bit ambitious

Matt
Class A is 260bhp per tonne inc driver and a decent 172/182 should be well under 900kg, mine is 845kg fuelled so you won’t need 260bhp to be at the class limit.
Russ

182 Turbo
Pure Motorsport built a 250 bhp n/a f4r which is in their time attack 172. Ive never seen or heard of anything with more

You have to declare power at the beginning of the season and weight checks are usually done after every race.
I think u have to look at it in a few different ways,
1) you could build a very light car with an almost standard power
2) build a silly engine and have the car a bit heavier
3) build a car in between

If you look at his years results you would say you would build it way 2 or 3

The fiesta won class A I think this year at the hands of Ali Camp, I think the car pushes out around 270-280 bhp

The Honda integra came a very close second in the hands of Ben Rushworth, I think the car has around 250bhp

Now if you watch bens onboard cameras on YouTube you can see that the fiesta easily passes the Honda in a straight line but around the corners the Honda is better.

I think with the cars that are in the championship at the mo your gonna need at least 220 / 240 otherwise the speed difference is gonna be too much regardless of how light weight your car is and how well it handles .

What do I guys think??

getikte

ClioSport Club Member
Catcam 438s and ITBs.....havent put too much thought into a power figure but 200 ish would be nice

26234971_10155166332117393_228748253_n.jpg

JamesBryan

ClioSport Club Member
You have to declare power at the beginning of the season and weight checks are usually done after every race.
I think u have to look at it in a few different ways,
1) you could build a very light car with an almost standard power
2) build a silly engine and have the car a bit heavier
3) build a car in between

If you look at his years results you would say you would build it way 2 or 3

The fiesta won class A I think this year at the hands of Ali Camp, I think the car pushes out around 270-280 bhp

The Honda integra came a very close second in the hands of Ben Rushworth, I think the car has around 250bhp

Now if you watch bens onboard cameras on YouTube you can see that the fiesta easily passes the Honda in a straight line but around the corners the Honda is better.

I think with the cars that are in the championship at the mo your gonna need at least 220 / 240 otherwise the speed difference is gonna be too much regardless of how light weight your car is and how well it handles .

What do I guys think??

Is that engine power or bhp per ton?

Bhp per ton would give a better idea of which will be quicker in a straight line i would have thought.

green

ClioSport Club Member
  Hi comp phase 1
Catcam 438s and ITBs.....havent put too much thought into a power figure but 200 ish would be nice

View attachment 1351880

You should just about get there with exhaust and free flowing cat/de-cat.. maybe even more!
As a comparison.. I’m running 202.5bhp +177ftLb with itb’s and high comp bottom end (standard head)
Same results for 4 years now..so belts this year and throw some high lift cams in at the same time
Good luck with the mapping..I’d like to know how you get on :up:

getikte

ClioSport Club Member
You should just about get there with exhaust and free flowing cat/de-cat.. maybe even more!
As a comparison.. I’m running 202.5bhp +177ftLb with itb’s and high comp bottom end (standard head)
Same results for 4 years now..so belts this year and throw some high lift cams in at the same time
Good luck with the mapping..I’d like to know how you get on :up:

fingers crossed, ive got a 182 manifold to decat and ktect stealh exhaust so pretty free flowing!
will update once its all back together and mapped up

Jamie86

ClioSport Club Member
  RS175,595,205gti,172
Personally I'd stick with standard bottom end and just get the head done with cams itbs etc cheaper rebuilds then and will see 220ish.. is an extra £2k+ worth it for another 15bhp on a good day?