ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Power down on my 172 cup (161bhp)?

Clio172cup, Capri 3.9 V8
Today I took my cars to a rolling road.

With my cup having a piercross panel filter and devil exhaust from the cat back I would expect a slight improvement on the standard bhp. However it has just hit the 36,000 mile mark and is due it's 3rd service.

I had to runs with virtually identical readings. The bhp at the crank being 161 bhp with 197 torque. The car seemed to rev ok with no flat spots just down on power to what I expected
(172ish). could this be cause it's due for a service (booked in for tomorrow)? I guess I need to run it again after the service to see any difference.

I also ran my Ford Capri with a rover V8 engine.The power output for this was 151BHP as many people predicted being an old engine but the torque was 224, more than the 200 expected.

Clio 172 ph2 + 990SM
Its actually 172ps not bhp. From what ive heard, 172's are normally a little below what they should be :S

williams and trophy
tis about rite mate tbh.

im surprised no 1 s tried doin reno for false advertising yet.or at least misleading advertising ;)......same with the 182s also i believe

Clio172cup, Capri 3.9 V8
thanks all. I'm a bit gutted as I can run 14.8s at santa pod and expected a higher reading.

Clio 172 ph2 + 990SM
some dude said:
sorry 2 say it mate,but its not 172bhp,its 172ps which works out as 168 bhp @ 6250 rpm and 148 lbs/ft @5400
0-60 is 7.1 secs and power to weight is 156.75 bhp per ton
standin quarter mile is 15.7
0-100 mph is 17.9

just have to get a remap, decat and manifold port ;)

len_beach

ClioSport Club Member
  E92 M3,172 track car
My car ran 174 with panel filter, silicone elbow and cat back exhaust.

artic blue 182 Cup
no vas a la get OE air induction system and try again... it works better than pipercross I think... :eek:

Last edited:
  193 mk2
the bhp figures seem about right, but 197 lb/ft of turque seems way too high???

Clio172cup, Capri 3.9 V8
wide said:
the bhp figures seem about right, but 197 lb/ft of turque seems way too high???
that's because I mistyped it should be 179.7Nm @ 5780, not 197
smiley9.gif
161.6bhp @7025rpm (115.7 ATW) even so, it's nealry 7bhp down on standard I reckon a service could make for most of it.

PS I do have the decat ready to fit and will try again soon and let you know how I get on.

Don

182 & LY Clio 220 ed
Lushman said:
that's because I mistyped it should be 179.7Nm @ 5780, not 197
smiley9.gif
161.6bhp @7025rpm (115.7 ATW) even so, it's nealry 7bhp down on standard I reckon a service could make for most of it.

PS I do have the decat ready to fit and will try again soon and let you know how I get on.

No offence, but that sounds bloody low! I had my Cup done when it had 8K on it, and it was standard, came out with 145bhp ATW (IIRC). Chris n Nic's cup got a bit less (with IK and new exhaust) and Pete's Cup came out with a couple more horses with some filter/ECU and exhaust work (This was about 2 years ago, so could be a little out with Mods!) I can't see there being a 30bhp ATW drop with these mods.

Try another RR and see the figures, as they could be out.
Donny

TDI tyre shreader
I wouldnt worry to much could have been a number of things, rolling road, dodgy fuel, tyre pressures, air temp, cooling etc etc.

The only way to get an accurate figure is to get it on an engine dyno.

Turbos.
Exactly, it's not like you get the same figures from every rolling road either so there is no point comparing unless we all head to the same one...

a good point was made her mates why cant we go back to renault and say they have false advertising i have a mk2 172 broichure in front of me and it clearly states 172bhp!!! not ps!!! they should be done for this surely!!!!!!!!!!111

C63 AMG, F430 & 172
there is that wide of a tollerance on cars...to many vairables affect the power... they get away with it

Vectra :(
Those reading seem right, i got 168bhp with modded inlets, panel filter and zorst. Hopefully will be up above 170 now i have my group N fitted but i doubt it lol

iirc 172ps is 166bhp and its basically a mixed bag what you get from renault. Also different RR give different readings.

Hillpower RR gave me 167 bhp iirc and a local one gave me 178bhp, thats a massive gap so i am going with the local one being crap as lots of people have used the hillpower one and results were as expected.

Elise,Pum,WRX,MCS,R6
mate if it pulls well and it sounds like your happy with the ON road performance then dont worry about what power it peaks on the rollers

Clio172cup, Capri 3.9 V8
thanks all I have some more info that may add to the low BHP.
It went for it's 36,00 miles service and found the drivers side front brake was binding.

here's the Graph
Picture15.jpg

and my car on the rollers
RollingRoad.jpg

please excuse the poor quality pics.

Last edited: